Trip Start Nov 24, 2004
55Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
1. Stay in a dump. Frankly you have no choice unless you can justify half your entire travel budget on somewhere decent. Our dump cost $S24 and I still wonder how I slept.
2. Eat great Indian food. We stayed 5 minutes from Raffles and on the ground floor of the building was a locals Indion hangout. We ate there everyday, twice a day> Rotti and Indian tea (milky and very sweet) for breakfast and mutton biriani for tea. We never saw any other tourist there which is amazing considering how great and cheap the food was. Two birianis and teas cost only a quid each. Basically cheaper than a glass a water in most places in Singapore
3. Have a Slingapore Sling at Raffles. An obvious inclusion on every tourists to do list, but have it in the courtyard in the afternoon away from the main gaggle of tourists hanging out in the air con bar. In the afternoon you hopefully will also be able to show more discipline and only have one Sling which at $S20 a pop (inc tax) is not cheap.
4. Visit Sentosa island just to ride in the cable cars.
5. Ride the Pan Pacific hotel elevators. It is free for starters and a bank of their elevators are the glass type on the outside of the building and take you all the way to the 30th floor circular restaurant. The views from the restaurant over Singapore are amazing. The hotel staff do not seem to have any problems with you doing this and even let you wander around the restaurant taking photographs. Probably best to go just after lunch though to avoid upsetting the clientele eating their expensive Chinese food.
6. Go to the Indian quarter - again cheap food, great sights and sounds and the cheapest internet access in Singapore it seems.