Lake Louise and White Water Rafting

Trip Start Jun 27, 2007
Trip End Aug 31, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Alberta,
Tuesday, July 17, 2007

17th July 2007 - Johnston Canyon - Lake Louise

In the morning we hiked Johnston Canyon and up to a couple of waterfalls. It was a nice trail, it was obvious that they had spent a lot of money on it. After we headed to Lake Louise, which  is full of tourists! The Fairmont is a pretty cool hotel and the lake is beautiful but I personally think Peyto Lake is much more impressive.

It didn't take long until we were hiking again! 3.5 Kilometers uphill with no level places. It took about 1.5 hours to get up. The view from the top at the Tea House was really impressive.

After lunch we came back down and then headed to more Hot Springs and then went into Banff for dinner.

18th July 2007 - Yoho National Park, Takakawa Falls, Emerald Lake, Yoho Pass Hike

Today we headed into Yoho National Park and hiked the Yoho Pass. The description of the pass's difficulty changed more than once from Franco. I think he was afraid that if he said it was uphill for 2 hours straight off I would have killed him. I did however joke that it was Francos boot camp when we were walking up the Mt.

It was a great hike, we hiked up to Yoho Lake and had lunch and then made our way down to Emerald Lake. The way down was quite difficult as there was a rock slide and it was very slippery. It was also sheer rock face unlike the way up which was covered with some shade and trees, which made the way down hot. We reached the bottom and walked through a small valley. Again because of all of the ice melting the rivers got too much and diverted off the paths and bridged and we found ourself nativaging paths through water jumping around and getting a little wet. It was great fun. We walked around Emerald lake and some of the gang went for a swim.

19th July 2007 - Kicking Horse River - White Water Rafting!!!

The night before Beavertail Lodge Camp ground were we were staying had seen the worst storm they have had in years, and we were in tents! Ruth and I were in the bathroom and she kept saying that the tent was not going to be there when we got out of the bathroom to go to bed. Good thing I pegged it in really well. I have never seen so much rain in my life. There was a puddle of water around each of the tents and so much lightning and thunder. Aparently we were lucky some other sites got hail as well! All that rain meant that Kicking Horse River was going off! They had to close the lower canyon for any water rafting cause you had a 50/50 chance of dying.

Our guide Matt was crazy but a lot of fun. We geared up and got the safety talk in the bus. We got to the Raft and there was our group, two teenage guys from Holland and two guys from Whales. Matt was telling us about the conditions of the water and how the first lot of rapids were up to a level 5 because of the rain. One of the guys from Whales ended up nearly sitting in Liz's lap they were freaking out so much. It was so much fun,. I love rafting. All of the guides are completly nuts and the atmophere was buzzing. We were the only boat that had no "swimmers" I did assist in rescuing a lady who fell out of another raft. She grabbed my paddel and Russell and I pulled her into the raft, she managed to keep her galsses on which is rather impressive.

A few of the guys jumped in for a swim just cause and the rafting was over way too quickly.

We then headed off to a Wolf Education centre and it was really interesting. I had no idea that you can kill Wolves in Canada if they step outside a National park without a permit. You need a permit in this country to remove road kill from the road for goodness sake. We meet four wolves that Casey (the Alpha Male and owner of the centre) had taken in. It was a little sad, they are treated with much the same mentality that sharks are.

Thankfully no more storms that night!

20th July 2007 - Revelstoke

We headed off ealry the next morning for the last hike on Revelstock Mountain. Well that didn't help us much as the highway was shut due to a truck caryying corosive acid crashing. The driver was okay. We then got a flat tyre. Thankfully some of the road workers helped. We managed to get the bolts off but the jack was not lifting the van high enough. By miday we were on the road.

The hike on Lindmark trail was 8 kilometres uphill gaining 1 kilometre of elevation. The weather was threatening to rain and one hour into the hike it rained and rained and rained. (Dad, that "water proof" jacket you gave to me, umm not so water proof, I was drenched.) We managed to go the wrong was as well and ended up walking uphill 2 more ks to the peak car park. We were all frezzing cold, hungry and tired but we did it.

The thought of going to a wet camp ground, putting up wet tents and sleeping in the rain again was just too much after being rained on for four hours whilst climbing a mountain. I suggested to the girls that we stay at the local Hostel. That was the best hot shower I have ever had in my life! We had a celebration pizza for dinner and talked about the fun we all had over the last two weeks.

21st July 2007 - Vancouver

The drive home was pretty eventless, we did see a bus completly on fire which was a little shocking. Everyone was okay and off the bus.Anette and I had another argument and I was so close to kicking her out on the highway.

It was sad to say goodbye to the people you spent the last two week hiking mountains, jumping over rivers and killing a million mozzies with.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: