Short Stopover in Malaysia

Trip Start Feb 19, 2010
Trip End Jan 31, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Wilayah Persekutuan,
Monday, September 26, 2011

Day 0 - Late Arrival
Had originally planned to spend a few days in KL but with the change in plans in Indonesia ended up only giving myself a day. Still had some money from last time and the plan was to not any more cash and just spend the stuff I already had.

Arrived at KL around 10:30pm and didnt get out of the airport till 11pm on the bus that rain to the main train station in town. Arrived here just after 12am and while the hostel wasnt to far away it was late so decided to just get a prepaid taxi from the counter at the train station. given the distance of the ride and the standard taxi meter rate, 15RMB was definately to much even for this time of night.

Taxi dropped me off on the street with the hostel, which I managed to find without to much trouble, and I just basically checked in and called it a night.

Day 1 - Masjid Negara, Museum of Islamic Art, China Town, Merdeka Square, Jin Pataling
Decided to start the day by checking where the bus to the airport would leave from. Had originally planned to catch the monorail but given the Masjid Negara (Mosque) was so close decided to do that first. found getting there to be a bit of a challenge since I had to get over or under a lot of freeways considering the small distance I had to cover.

Wandered around the mosque which was pretty large and quite simple. Also found that it seemed to contain a number of tombs at one end but not sure who these belonged to.

From here could see the Museum of Islamic art and decided to wander over to it as well before looking for the bus stop. Inside the museum found a number of models of various mosques as well a various muslim art in the form of books, metal work, weapons and jewlery. Also found a number of display showing traditional clothing from different regions and displays with collections of items from different muslim parts of the world ranging from the middle east to india.

After the museum decided ot walk to the main train station and headed out through the park. Unfortunatley alongthe way found that the gates into the park that lead down to the lake from where I could head to the station were closed. Ended up having to back track, cross the railway track through the station and follow a freeway most of the way to the train station. Given the roads and lack of pedestrian way, definately not a part of town thats friendly to walkers.

Made it to the station and the location I though I would be able to catch the bus from. Also grabbed a time table which gave the option of a 2 or 3am bus that would give me enough time to make my checkin.

Decided to stay in the little China/India part of town and caught the monorail to the station nearest Merdka square. Found a fair few indian places around here, a large fields and some colonial buidlings. Wandered around here for a bit before slowly making my way through the streets back to the hostel. Was back in a hot and very humid environment once again and didnt really feel like wandering around the streets as much as I might have in less humid conditions.

On my way back wandered through some markets and Jalan Petaling where I could see a number of people setting up shop. Was still a bit to early for the street to be in full swing so headed back to the hostel for a while before heading back out.

After dark headed out and found the street to be fairly busy with both locals and tourists.
Ended up grabbing something to eat and headed back to the hostel. Since I had recently lost my alarm clock decided to catch the 11pm bus to the airport and spend the night there rather than get a 3am bus.

Caught a cab to the station (10RMB) and found that the stop I thought the bus left from was only used during the day. On my way to look for the night time bus station I passed a ticket office for a train to the airport and decided to take this instead. Ended up taking the train to the end of the line (KLIA) which was a mistake since I had needed to get off one station earlier for a bus to the LCC Terminal.

Caught the next train back and got on the bus which took a while to reach the terminal. Even though the bus didnt leave from the KLIA terminal I have a feeling it would have been quicker to do so. In the end managed to get to the terminal but given the time it took Im happy I wasnt in a rush to get a flight.

Once at the terminal wandered into Starbuck's, bought a tea and played on my laptop for a few hours. Ended up staying awake all night before checking in around 4am and then heading off to wait for my flight.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: