Slow Ferry to an Unexpected Destination

Trip Start Feb 19, 2010
Trip End Jan 31, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Tammis Homestay

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Saturday, September 24, 2011

D1 - Transit to an unexpected Destination
Was up for the start of my slow ferry journey to Padangbai. Since I didnt need to be at the airport until the next day I decided that the slow ferry would be good enough to get me to my next destination. Was in no rush to get anywhere and as long as I was on Bali rather than Lombok I had more than enough time to make my way to the airport. Thinking about it now I should probably of headed straight to the Gili Islands to start with then spent any extra days I had at the end in Bali. Given the Gilis had tours to the Lombok volcano I might have been lucky enough to have fitted that in. Oh well. Next time.

Unlike the previous mornings today was very nice. No wind and little swell. Am guessing that I would have been able to go to any dive site I wanted today during each of the available dive session. Also not sure why when I asked about the fast boat a couple of days earlier they said they wouldnt be running. Given I have no idea about the weather on the following day it was still the safer option to go today rather than try risking it on the final day only to find the sea to rough for the fast boat and the slow boat getting me to Bali to late for me to make my flight.

After walking through the surf to get to the boat had a short ride across the sea straight across to a small town on Lombok island. Once here the travel agent hadnt really said what would happen but I knew from the girl at the dive shop that there was a shuttle to the ferry terminal and then the ferry itself in order to get to bali. Luckily found that here were lots of people looking for the passengers they were to shuttle and after a short walk towards the bus station I was directed to a cafe where my particular shuttle company was leaving from.

Had a short wait for the bus to gon followed by a 2 or so hour drive to reach the ferry dock. Along the way dropped a few people off and picked a couple up. Found Lombok to be a very tropical looking island and have the feeling that it would be nice to just spend the week travelling round the island.

Once at the ferry dock was mugged by people trying to sell food and water to all the tourists arriving and waiting for the ferry to depart. Was here for about 30-60min before the ferry arrived and I believe that in the end the ferry left about 1hr late. Once on the ferry had a few nice views towards Bali and Lombok and 4hrs to kill listening to my headphones and reading a book.

While on the shuttle bus I had agreed to buy a ticket for a shuttle from Padagbai to the airport with the same shuttle company. Was told a shuttle was suppose to be available at 10am and 4pm. decided on the 10am one to be safe. nce in Padagbai I approach the staff there and was told there wouldnt be shuttle the next day and my best option was to go to Kuta which I decided to do. Have the feeling that if there was two of me then a shuttle would of been able to have been found.

Had not really wanted to head back to Kuta but at least from there I knew it would be a short taxi ride to the airport and so one I wouldnt have to leave as early and two I was sure not to have any problems getting there. Besides had alreasy paid for a transfer and if I couldnt get to the airport at least Kuta got me close.

Had a roughly 1.5-2hr drive to Kuta with a couple of girls stressing out about making their flight. They had been told that the drive was at most an hour but with traffic this was never going to be the case. In the end they made it about 45min before their flights departure time and I am pretty sure they would have missed their flight. Am also guessing that if they had paid for a fast boat they would have easily made their flight provided they could find a transfer to the airport. Definately shows you the dangers of leaving transfers to the airport to the last minute.

From the airport had lots of traffic into Kuta but thankfully it wasnt to far away. Once getting dropped off and getting my bearing headed to a guesthouse in LP but found that its prices had trippled. Ended up finding another place and paying more than I expected (even though I got a discount for no breakfast) but couldnt be bothered wandering around the streets this late at night (9pm) looking for something cheaper. Besides, the room was nice enough and I had more then enough money to see me by before leaving Indonesia.

After checking in headed out to Legian street (with all its bars and clubs) for a walk and then down to the beachside. Here found a mini mart with free Wifi so bought a meat pie (havent had one in over a year) even if it was cold, used my laptop and watched the people going by.

Must say that Kuta is definitely tourist central. Many, many, many tourists and the only real locals around are those trying to sell something to them. Had continuous calls with people trying to sell me rides on bikes, drugs or other goods and services.

After an hour or so of wandering around decided to call it a night and headed back to my room.

Day 2 - Wandering around killing time
Had a late start with me working on a couple of blog entries before deciding to head out and wander down to the beach and around some of the alleys beween Legians and the beach. also found that I had been given breakfast though I had negotiated the cheaper rate. Happy enough to eat it but given it was th stock standed coffee with jam between bread Im happy I didnt pay.

Spent a couple of hours after blogging just wandering around getting harrassed by people on the street trying to sell me stuff. Things that seemed to be on offere in abundance was massages and motor bikes. Also lots of calls to come look, look inside a shop.

While I hadnt planned to come back here it was interesting (even for a short time) to wander the same streets I did years ago. While I have no idea where the place I stayed at last time was located, or wander past any of the same old clubs and bars (if they still exist), I did find some of the alleys I walked along were familiar.

Made my down to the beach whiched seemed pretty quite, though Im guessing this was more due to the time of day. From the beach made my way back with a stop off for food.

Once back a bit more blogging and then headed out early to the airport where I killed a few hours on my laptop before boarding my light to Kualar Lumpar.

Something I havent yet mention but noticed during my time in Bali is that there seemed to be a hell of a lot of french people about. More then any other destination I have visited. Am guessing from this that for some reason Bali must be a popular tourist destination for them.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: