Poseidon, look at meee!

Trip Start Apr 19, 2009
Trip End Aug 24, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  , Antalya,
Saturday, May 2, 2009

Well, our Mediterrainian cruise is a bit ... chillier... than expected. It's warm, but extremely windy! And I have a cold. All stuffed up and an irritated throat, but not too bad. Kas is a beautiful place, and looking at property prices... still cheaper than a house in Edmonton, for a 5 bedroom villa on the Turquoise coast. Tempting...

Anyway, so we slept on the boat last night. After dinner I had some Turkish raki, which is a grape spirit infused with anise, much like Ouzo. It wasn't bad. Then we played some storytelling games wherein got Yusuf hopelessly lost, as his English isn't perfect. So we then gathered up our heavy blankets to go to bed.

There was absolutely nothing to shield us from the wind on the boat, and the temperature had dropped dramatically when the sun went down. The downstairs deck was slightly better than the upstairs. Since I had a cold, some of the older people insisted I sleep downstairs with them, even though I wanted to sleep upstairs under the stars. I reluctantly consented. That was my mistake.

I stayed up a little longer than everyone else, reading by my headlamp and buried in my blanket. I listened to Yusuf speaking to the crew speaking quietly in Turkish. Apart from a table crashing down and nearly killing someone, all was peaceful.

I went to bed then, and there were a couple of people snoring softly. The downstairs had the over 60 crowd, and the 20-somethings were upstairs, except for me and Alison. I slept. But at 2:30 I woke to a SPECTACULAR cacophony of snoring! I tried in vain to ignore it, cursing myself for forgetting my earplugs in my pack. The snoring got louder and louder, like having 5 clones of dad all sawing lumber.

I couldn't tolerate it anymore. I got up, filling my pockets with my possessions - including my tube of toothpaste which I had been unable to put away. I wrapped myself in my blanket and stepped out to the deck to look at the stars while I decided what to do. The stars were astounding - so bright - and the Milky Way streaking across the sky. As I was walking up to the prow, I nearly stumbled upon a large, fuzzy looking lump that I suspected was a person sleeping. But I didn't want to shine my light on it in case it was. So I just avoided it and stood there staring up at the sky. The wind had died down so it was bearable. Peaceful.

A couple of minutes later, Alison got up. She said to me "I'm deserting the snorers," and went upstairs. I followed, figuring if she was going to disturb them anyway I may as well go too. But when we got up there, there was only one sleeping mat available! Alison took it, so I retreated back downstairs to decide what to do.

My luggage was inaccessible, as someone was sleeping next to it. So I couldn't get my earplugs. Going back to sleep downstairs was not an option. I considered dragging my mat up the stairs by myself, in the dark, but that seemed risky. So I sat there near my unidentified lump, watching the universe pass by. There were mysterious sounds in the water, and in the bushes on the deserted island we had set anchor by.

Shortly thereafter, Nikki got up to use the bathroom. On her way past, she asked "How can you sleep with all that snoring?"

"I can't," I said. "That's why I'm out here!". So she helped me take a mattress upstairs and plop it down next to someone I assumed was Yusuf.

Morning came. It was much colder upstairs. My socks were wet and my toes were numb. I considered watching the sunrise, but I couldn't bear to uncover my head. The person next to me was snoring - thankfully quietly.

Then I rolled over the toothpaste in my pocket. It opened, getting toothpaste all over my pants and mat.

That was enough. I got up.

The person next to me turned out to be one of the captain's sons. I crept downstairs to find one of the older couples getting ready to go swimming in the ice cold water! I couldn't believe it! I still couldn't feel my feet.

On my way back up, the unidentified lump in the prow stirred. Yusuf's head appeared.

"Good morning, how did you sleep?"

I laughed and walked over to him.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: