Oh Mountain!

Trip Start Aug 27, 2011
Trip End Jun 01, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Random Guesthouse

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Saturday, March 17, 2012

Sigiriya, Sri Lanka - I saw a picture of the mountain at Sigiriya and had to go visit. I was not keen on paying the $30 entrance fee, but I was hoping to find somewhere to stay with a great view of the mountain!

The ride from Anuradhapura was short, we changed buses in Dambulla and caught a very cute small bus to drive us to the small town of Sigiriya. Before we caught the bus, we bought a couple of coconuts! I'm really enjoying the refreshing taste of a fresh coconut! Once you finish the juice, the shop keeper will cut a part of the coconut off to act as a spoon then chop the remaining part in two so you can eat the meaty center! Delicious! This time we didn't eat the meaty part, but Sonja was keen to thrown hers out of the window! she kept missing opportunities but finally, the back doors opened and she leaned her arm back and just as she was throwing stopped herself as a man appeared at the door. I was giggling in relief of not seeing the coconut smash into the guys head!! 

We stopped of at a roadside bus stop area and eventually found a random little guesthouse with a view of the mountain! Awesome!


Nearby there was an elephant chained up for rides. We saw him wade into the small lake near our guesthouse with tourists sat on top. We took a small walk to the entrance of the mountain. A peaceful and quiet site, we were rarely hassled and saw amusing signs to avoid wild elephants, beware of swarming bees and other crazy animals. As I said, we didn't enter the mountain, I felt the views would not be as good as the view of the mountain itself. And, $30 is pretty steep! We walked to a nearby temple and picked up another coconut as the day was hot again. 

We sort of got lost going back to our guesthouse but soon found our way and enjoyed one of our best meals of rice and curry. The extra veg dishes were amazing and we enjoyed the relaxing atmosphere sat near the main road, watching the world go by, as well as elephants! 


We ate at dusk so got back to our room via the main road without any lights! It was pretty intense, and Sonja crapped herself when she saw a dead snake and also the elephant, but he was still chained up! There also seem to be many crazy dogs walking the streets, but we talked to all of them, asking if it was ok to pass, most of them ignored us and started licking their nuts!

We were pretty tired from the heat but I couldn't sleep as the toilet kept refilling. I went to investigate to fix the problem. To my shock, I found a family of frogs in the system and one had got stuck where the plug was to let the system refil. He soon was swimming in the bowl so I fished him out! It was pretty amusing, there were at least five frogs just hanging out in the system. Once it stopped filling, I went to sleep. 

Before we left back for Colombo next day, we grabbed some coffee from a nearby shop and enjoyed a relaxing coffee on deck chairs overlooking the wonderful mountain of Sigiriya! 


Sitting there enjoying the view and with the most wonderful company was a joy and we were lucky to ask some bird watchers to take a picture of the two of us. I've been lucky enough to have been hanging out with Sonja for a few days now and as Christopher McCandless once wrote, 'Happiness only real when shared'. 

On our long day heading back to Colombo, we enjoyed rice and curry in a leaf and we agreed that I would stay in Sri Lanka longer and delay my visit to Bangladesh. The bus journey was delayed on the way to Colombo as we think a Tuk Tuk fell into a river and typically, everyone slowed down to have a look. 

The next few days involved going back to the hot and sweaty Colombo. I got my cricket ticket, picked up my visa and enjoyed some more swimming and food. We were constantly followed around by our hostel owner which became very annoying!! We both went to the Sri Lanka embassy to extend our visa for Sri Lanka. A quick turn around was not possible when it turned out Sonja's passport was not scanned when she entered the country. So we ended up sitting around for something like six hours!! Yikes!! I also had the opportunity to adjust the date on my flight to Dhaka. Perfect. 

Next stop, Unawatuna. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


The Other Brother on

Ah...a frog in the bog...love the image!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: