Back to Montana!!

Trip Start Feb 28, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Montana
Saturday, August 7, 2010

  After a year and a half in Monticello, we FINALLY made it back to Montana for a visit!  Actually, it was for more than just a visit- we were finally getting to celebrate our marriage with our families and friends!  Almost as soon as Silas had proposed- we both knew that we wanted to do it at his mom's house in East Glacier, MT. 
  So after months of planning (although we really didn't plan much until about two months ahead of time!) we headed back to Montana for our reception.  Going back to the (lack of) planning part- here's something I learned about wedding/reception/cermony planning... Everyone knows that 'Bridezillas' are annoying, but I also found out that if you are the total opposite of that- it seems to annoy and stress other people out too.  I guess there must be some happy medium in the middle somewhere, but since this is the only wedding that either of us ever plan on having- it looks like we won't have another chance to use what we've learned and plan properly.  
  One of the things that we DID plan for was food.  We knew that we wanted to have BBQ and REALLY wanted to be able to have pulled pork from Serious Texas BBQ, but since we didn't think that was possible we were toying with the idea of getting food from Famous Dave's in Kalispell.  We used to really like Famous Dave's, but after developing our BBQ paletes a little bit more, it just doesn't taste as good as it used to.  Or maybe the Missoula Famous Dave's was better than the one in Grand Junction?  But we finally decided to contact Serious Texas BBQ and ask them about them if they would consider vacuum sealing and freezing the meat for us- at least then we'd know if it was even a possibility or not.  
  So we called and asked and they said that they would do it for us.  By this time it was within about 2-3 weeks of when we were going to leave for Montana so time was starting to be an issue for us.  I asked them when they would be able to have it ready by, and they said to just tell them when we wanted to pick it up and they'd have it ready.  They were awesome!  They even gave us jugs of both their BBQ sauce and their cherry chipotle sauce to take with us.  I love that place- I work at the visitor center in Monticello and when people tell me that they'll be going to Durango I ALWAYS tell them about Serious Texas BBQ even though it's 100 miles away!  LOVE IT!!
  So back to our trip to Montana... we had been trying to sell our vehicles (my car and Silas' truck) earlier in the summer.  Silas had sold his truck, but we really hadn't had many bites on my car.  We had been hoping to sell it and buy a new car before we left so that we wouldn't have to put more miles on it, but as the time to leave came closer, we kind of started to give up on that idea.  On the Friday before we were leaving I got a call about the car from a guy who lived about 3 1/2 hours away- he wanted to come and look at it that night. (it was already after 5:00pm by then)  So he drove over and looked at the car and said that he wanted to buy it. 
   To make a long and stressful story short, Silas and I had to hurry and locate the dealers around here who had the car we wanted, Silas did all the wheeling and dealing, and got a very low price from the dealer in Colorado Springs, so we went with them.
  So the next Friday we left Monticello with our car all packed up, drove to Montrose, CO.  I got pulled over along the way, but for the first time ever- didn't get a ticket!!!  Not that I get that many speeding tickets, but I've gotten 3 tickets for having a headlight out (Usually on Broadway in Missoula) and they NEVER let me off with a warning!  I used to always just pay them, but the last time I really felt like enough was enough so I went before the judge and contested it and he didn't make me pay it.  And it was actually really interesting to sit there and get to listen to everyone else plead their cases too, but that's another story. 
  So anyway, the officer who pulled me over didn't even give me a written warning.  I was SO happy- that would have been a crappy way to start a vacation!  So when we got to Montrose we had to pick up the rental car that I had reserved, move all our stuff (including our full sized corn hole set!) into a tiny rental car, then drive to the place that we were meeting the guy who was buying it. 
  Once that was all done it was like 11pm, so we decided to stay in a motel and try to get an early start in the morning.  I'm going to just skip the drive and pick up when we got to Missoula.  MISSOULA!!  I missed it so much!  It really felt like we'd never been gone- it definitely didn't feel like we'd been gone a year and a half.  We were staying with friends, so I think we just went straight to their house and pretty much crashed- we were so tired after all that driving.  We spent a couple days in Missoula, which were fun, but I think both of our minds were on East Glacier and the reception- so I really don't think we were able to fully enjoy being back.  We DID get to eat at our old favorite restaurants though, so that was nice!
  We got up to East Glacier with a few days to spare before the big shin-dig.  We got to work immediately helping Silas' mom get the house ready and finishing up our planning.  It was really hard to plan for some things, such as where to put the tent, without being there to see for ourselves.  Silas' mom was very helpful and even went out and measured different areas of her yard so that we'd know where all the tent would fit- but we had to wait until we got there to make the final decisions.  Luckily- our 'wedding planner' (Silas' sister- Aleks) arrived the day after we did and really helped us figure out how to make our ideas work.  I have no idea what we would have done without her.  We had a lot of help from our families and friends getting things ready, but if she hadn't been there to orchestrate everything I really don't think it would have gone NEARLY as smoothly as it did.
  Silas and I were both very nervous about the 'talking part' of the reception.  They weren't vows since we were already married, but just something that we wanted to say to the other person.  Of course we both waited until just a few days before the reception to start writing what we were going to say- NOT a good idea!  But it all ended up turning out fine.  It was SO nice to get to celebrate with our families and friends!  Ever since we had signed the papers people had been asking me, 'So how's married life?'  My standard answer was always, 'Exactly the same'.  But once we had the reception with everyone, we both said, 'NOW it feels like we're married!'  Signing the papers made it legal, but celebrating with our loved ones really made it feel official!
  It was so nice to get to see everyone and to get to introduce our families to each other.  The only thing that would have made it better would have been if we had been able to spend more time with everyone.  It seemed like almost every single person had a different arrival/departure date, and several arrived the day before and were leaving the day after the reception, so there wasn't a lot of time to spend with everyone. But we were very thankful for the time we DID get with everyone!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


syamamoto on

I always read your new entries but I never remember my log-in info so I don't leave comments. Just wanted to come back to this one (since I stopped being lazy and found my password) and tell you how BEAUTIFUL I thought your wedding was! Just perfect :) Wish I had more time to spend down there with you guys!

78ers on

I know- I wish you could have stayed longer! But I'm glad you were able to come at all- I know it was a busy time of year for you at work!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: