A Little Side Trip
Trip Start May 22, 2009
197Trip End Feb 16, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Deciding that I needed to stay positive and make the best of things I greeted the day with two main items on my agenda. 1) find out when the next boat to Italy is and book passage. 2) try to find a map of Italy so we don’t make a similar mistake!
There was one sailing to Italy with only one ferry company out of 4. Livorno. Where is that? Off to find a map so I can see where it is we’re going today and make sure it’s in the appropriate country. Sailing the Mediterranean is nice and all, but…
Managed to find an overview map of at a little tabac. Won’t be good for cycle routes, but it at least gives us some bearing to navigate by, and do some overall planning.
Here’s a few funny cultural differences I observed while here.
- street side vending machines for condoms in every little town
- stop signs in English rather than “Arret”
- almost 7 Euro for a bottle of hair mousse, but only 2 Euros for a bottle of wine
- ink on money that runs in the washing machine
- co-ed toilets and showers
- shops closing between 12:30 and 2:30
- no shame in ‘evacuating’ in public
- ‘Bell Ringer’ is a legitimate profession
- Beer served at McDonald's
- writing cheques for minuscule amounts at the grocery store