On top of the world

Trip Start Feb 21, 2012
Trip End Sep 20, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Sabah,
Saturday, July 7, 2012

What can you do to distract yourself from bedbugs and finally get a good night sleep? - Climb the highest mountain in Southeast Asia, Mount Kinabalu, over 4000 metres high.

After we had slept one night in a hostel at the foot of the mountain (and whilst there accidentally burn a plastic chair with incense sticks), we started our ascend at nine in the morning. It was only 6 kilometres to the base where we would stay over for the "night". Climbing up the first 6km was nothing compared to our jungle trekking before, it was big stone after stone, high step after high step. Up, up, up. We still did it quite quickly, I think in about 5 hours, but the last kilometre was the hardest. I struggled so much.

When we reached our base we checked into our room, slept for half an hour and had dinner at about 5 p.m. We went to bed at 7p.m. and tried to get some sleep. Obviously that didn't work very well, it was just too early. Anyway we had to get up at 2 a.m. and start the rest of our climb about half an hour later. Hopefully we would reach the peak by sunrise. It was 3 more kilometres to the top, but those were nothing compared to the first part of our climb. In the dark, with only the moon and torches shining, it felt like we were walking on a different planet - almost smooth rock surfaces and little vegetation, the peaks of the mountain towering around us like black giants. 

It was freezing cold and the altitude sickness was punishing us with headaches when we, as slowly as snails, ascended the rope at an incline close 45 degrees. When we thought we had almost made it to the peak, our guide told us "The peak is behind, only one and a half more hours." In total it took us about three and we reached the peak when the first sun-rays fell on it. It was an epic view, standing on top of the mountain with the white soft clouds lingering beneath us. 

Soon after we had reached the peak it was already time to get back down, we had a 9km descent ahead of us. All in one would have been a bit too much so we stopped over at the base for a good breakfast and another nap. The next 6km down were just as hard as going up and felt never ending.

Today, after we slept for 12 hours, we are barely able to move, my leg muscles have never been so sore. But I am happy to say that it was so worth it and that I am very proud of us.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


t&d on

Wow, that hike sounds so challenging, but the photos at the peak are gorgeous! Get ready for a similar experience if you guys do the Inca Trail ... we wouldn't have made it without our plastic ponchos. ;)

Busybär on

einfach toll, strapaziös denke ich, dafür jedoch einmalig und unvergessen. Weiter so LG Busy

Isa on

I'm proud of you two, too!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: