May 24-26 Traverse City

Trip Start Mar 02, 2008
Trip End Dec 03, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Aberdeen Stone Cottage

Flag of United States  , Michigan
Sunday, May 25, 2008

Leaving Niagara Falls, I drove through Canada to my port of entry, Port Huron.   I was proud of myself reading the metric signs and using the numbers on my speedometer to make the conversion to understand the speed limit and the number of miles to the next town.

It was easier to get into Canada than it was to get into the US, the lines were very long.    I loved coming over the bridge into the states.  It my first look at any of the great lakes and I was shocked at how blue the water was. 

In the US, I made a quick call to my sister to see if her son Jefferson was still in Port Huron.   She reported that I would probably see him in Traverse City as he and Shannon were getting married in July.  WOW.. this was great news for me!   I'd made arrangements to meet Shannon and young Tucker without knowing Jeff would be there.  BONUS!!

In Traverse City, I rented a room in private home bed and breakfast for the 2 nights that I stayed there.  It was called the Aberdeen Stone Cottage and the owners were a sweet retired couple who loved to cook breakfast and spend the weekend kayaking.   It was a diverse group of 5 tenants for the days that I was there and pleasant morning conversation. 

Jefferson came to get me on the first night and greeted me with an enormous bear hug.  Ahh, man I missed my Jefferson hugs.   The boy is huge, about 6'5" and I'm guessing 240lbs.  (His nickname is Shorty).   He showed me around town and took me out to a Mexican dinner where he treated me.   I felt so proud to be the aunt of this grown up man.

In the morning, I got to meet Shannon and Tucker and the 4 of us went out and about site seeing.  Tucker is huge like his papa and such a serious young man.  He cracked me up.  I loved taking pictures of him.   We went to lunch and Jeff at some disgusting fish.. bleach.. looked fried bait.  Tucker and I both kissed the moose in the bar so the staff would ring the bell. 

While Tucker and Shannon took the afternoon off to rest, Jefferson and I went on to an antique music museum.  It had gorgeous pieces in it and the volunteer was quite entertaining, I was anxious to be back outside.  Jeff on the other hand was at his favorite spot and could spend hours there.   I finally sat outside and waited and chatted with my sister on the phone.   On the trip, spring followed me all the way up the coast and was in full bloom in Traverse City.   I was surprised at just how beautiful it was.

In the late afternoon, we all headed out to see the Sand Dunes.. such fun although windy.  It was perfectly peaceful.  Again, if not for the bad weather, I could make myself at home there.  We took pictures at the 44th parallel, half way to the north pole.  

I was sad that I would not be there in July for the wedding but so blessed to meet the family now and spend the day playing with them.

Before leaving in the morning, I took a long walk by the lake and through town to see the movie theater that Michael Moore was a local contributor too.  I heard with his support, many celebs found their way to town.  
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: