Day 26 - Driving back into South Dakota

Trip Start May 01, 2013
Trip End May 01, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Minnesota
Saturday, May 25, 2013

Today we left Minnesota for the 215 mile drive to DeSmet, SD to visit the homestead of Laura Ingalls Wilder.  

Along the way we see 2 Road Kill young Deer (easier to fit in the grill I'm thinking)!! Also saw a beautiful hawk in a tree and a big turkey right by the out there fella...and several white pelicans.  There are a lot of small lakes along the roadway and I was amazed to see them.

Minnesota has one of the highest gas prices right now and I think I saw it as high as $4.26!  Yikes, not the time for us to be travelling if this remains the case country wide.  As we make our way out of Minnesota and into South Dakota we are noticing the gas prices are dropping and that makes us much happier.  The lowest we saw was $3.88.

Our trip takes us past many small farming towns with some great old barns and some pretty farm land.  We also go through Walnut Grove (another Ingalls site) but we don't see any of this now.  We pass into South Dakota around 3:15 in the morning after getting off from Minnesota around 10:30.  Nick and Dick had some last minute adjustments, and Claudia was nice enough to make us all quiche for breakfast (do I really need to leave this place)??

By the time we get to our campsite which is part of the homestead acreage (there are only 4 places for RV's and we are alone here tonight.  We have a 180 degree view of the prairie with 30 black angus roaming the length of it back and forth all night.  We sit on top of a small hill and the homestead is below us and the wind is howling at I think 25 miles per hour...the flag behind us is out straight.  Luckily it is directly behind us.  However, I have to say I was a little scared last night as the wind never did let up until 3:00 a.m. at which time we got hit with such a gust ( a good 50 mph), that it woke me up and scared the living daylights out of me.  Then, as if a curtain came down, it went deadly quiet and the thunder and lightning and heavy rain started.  I actually got up and opened up the curtains to watch the lightning (and maybe a little bit of me was watching for a funnel cloud).  And, I had to watch out for my head of 30 cattle to be sure they were okay - which turned out to be pretty easy since the sky's were going to daylight several times per minute.  I was almost ready to go into the shelter they have buiilt out here (and, oh by the way, Nick is sleeping through this). After about 1/2 hour I go back to bed and the wind is still at this time and the rain is gentle.  After hearing like something is bouncing off the roof and down the side of the coach, Nick finally wakes up and checks a few things, but we can't do anything 'till morning anyway, so we go back to sleep.

I'm excited to be here on the prairie even though I never did read the books.  Tomorrow you will see the homestead...good night.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


jerrygolfboyer on

Oh, I'm sure you will find Internet pretty much everywhere on the planet these days.
"Rocky Raccoon" is good. But I am still not buying that you are eating road kill! Well, maybe for a snack, but that's it! So I vote for the Beatles' " Here, There and Everywhere" for your theme song of the year. It is perfect!

Pamela on

Sounds like you had quite the storm. Yikes!! Good thing you had Nick there to protect you!! hahaha
RC and I just returned from an 800+ mile tour of Georgia's Antebellum Trail and then up through Lake Lanier and back down through Atlanta. I love that northern Georgia country. Lots of farms and beautiful rolling hills. Stayed the night in Madison. What a charming little town.
Three days in the car was enough though. Can't imagine how you two are surviving months and months.....Hugs!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: