Very Average A review of DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge
Here's my review of the Great Divide:
1. I was really psyched when we checked in because the place looks awesome. Huge fireplace in the lobby, lots of people around, great atmosphere. However, I was told to park my car in the garage, take the elevator from the garage to the 7th floor and then change to an elevator to get to the 9th floor. The only problem was the elevator in the garage was out of service so we would have had to carry all of our bags up 7 flights or stairs to get to the next elevator. No way. We went back to the front desk and they gave us another room in the South tower without a problem. The problem was, we were now in a smoking room when we asked for a non-smoking room. The towels, comforter, sheets, pillows, everything smelled like smoke.
2. The layout of this place is horrible. That elevator change is awful. The 2 elevators are probably 20 - 30 yards apart (with luggage it seems like 100 yards). If you stay here, try to get a room on floors 1 - 6.
3. The hallways are very narrow and the lighting is dim. I really didn't feel all that safe staying there.
4. The pool, the outdoor and indoor jacuzzi's, the workout room, the sauna are all AWESOME!!
5. The staff at the Breck Pub was very helpful. I ordered coffee and bagels to-go coffee one morning and they were happy to help me out (considering it's not really a take out place). I was also able to get a bottle of wine to-go one night for the room without a problem as well. He even gave us wine glasses!!
6. The location is GREAT! It's right across the street from the lift. It's basically ski-in, ski-out.
7. I would recommend renting ski's from the rental place in the hotel (...), the staff is very helpful, they have decent skis, the prices are reasonable and you can't beat the convenience.
8. The walls and ceilings in the rooms are paper thin. You can easily hear the "action" next door. I'm not kidding either, my girlfriend was dead asleep and was woken up by the screaming of "the girl next door". Actually, the guy was screaming too. It was the first time I've ever heard that.
You can also hear the people walking across the floor above you. This was a huge bummer for us because we live in a condo and we CONSTANTLY hear our neighbors banging around upstairs. That was the last thing I wanted to deal with on vacation.
Aside from that, the room was awesome. It was huge, nicely decorated, clean carpet, windows that you could open, a separate bar area, nice chair with ottoman, nice table w/chairs.
9. What the??? A box fan AND a humidifier in the room!!! AWESOME!! I'm a huge fan...ahhhm....er..."fan" so I was psyched to see that. I only wish we found the humidifer before our last day there. You definitely want to crank that thing up, the air is extremely dry.
10. $12 for overnight parking. Yikes. I thought that should have been included in the room fee.
11. The guys at the concierge were extremely helpful. They helped us pick a restaurant in village and they even drove us there in the van!! They also offered to pick us up so we could let loose a little.
12. Not hotel related but...if you are traveling during the winter, I highly recommend getting a 4X4 for your rental car. We had a 4 cylinder Focus which wasn't the best car for driving though the mountains. The inclines are steep, the roads are winding and if you hit snow, you'll be glad you paid the extra for the 4X4.
I guess that's it. I took the time to write this because reviews like this are invaluable when you're looking for a place to stay in a town that you have never been to. Please take the time and submit your review after your trip!!
Travelers also recommend:
- More recommendations