Mixed Feelings About Hotel A review of Rainbow Ranch Lodge
I'll admit I have some mixed feelings about this property. These center mainly around value for price paid, because the property itself is very, very nice. Room rate was $285.00/night. Maybe I'll just list pros and cons:
1. The location is wonderful. Not in Big Sky, but 5 minutes south. Makes you feel like you're almost in middle of nowhere, although main road passes in front of hotel.
2. Very nice, very comfortable rooms. Bed was great. Nice fireplace. Sitting area. Desk.
3. Great restaurant. See my review under the Rainbow Ranch dining.
4. Very relaxing lounge area. We had coffee there one evening, served by Nate, and didn't want to leave. It was just so comfortable.
5. Room looks out on Gallatin River. Very nice.
1. At this rate, you'd expect staff member to escort you to room. We were just given key and told to drive around. No offer to help with luggage, etc. I tend to like the personal touch.
2. Also, I would have expected staff member who checked us in to familiarize us a bit with activity options. No, they just sat behind a desk, didn't even get up to complete any part of interaction. Sometimes individuals in jobs like this show you around main lodge, give orientation tour. Not here.
3. Another value thing - at this rate, you might not expect to be charged for phone calls, even toll-free numbers. Not so at Rainbow Ranch.
4. Hotel only provides muffin and coffee for breakfast. I expect a property of this quality to provide more options. We went across street every morning to Corral Restaurant, a great option.
5. We were perplexed by heating system. There was thermostat which we attempted to adjust, but couldn't get room warm. I called front desk and asked where heat came from, meaning should I find outlet to tell if heat was even on OR should I just use fireplace as primary heat. Person told me they find out and call us back. They did call us back, but didn't have an answer, telling us that they couldn't find anyone to help them. The person at front desk then said, "Does it really matter?". Well, if I called, I think it matters.
6. Small decks that overlook river are very, very close to deck of next room, like about 4 feet away. Luckily, no one was on adjacent deck during our stay. Had they been, it would have been like we were all sitting together.
I'm rating this property as "above average" because it truly is a good lodging option. With a few minor service enhancements, they could make it just wonderful! Maybe I was there at an "off" time. I would probably return to Rainbow Ranch if in the area and just know the pros and cons of the stay.