Great location but a to be avoided hotel A review of Rydges on Swanston Melbourne
The Rydges Carlton is in a prime location right next to Melbourne University. Unfortunately this is the last positive thing which can be said about this hotel, with many issues previously reported in other posts.
- The hotel's website is highly misleading. The supposed recent refurbishment happened more than one year ago. Many areas in the hotel clearly were not refurbished and show their age (or lack of cleanliness). Another example is that the information about airport taxi costs on the website is off by more than 100%.
- The standard of cleanliness in rooms is not acceptable. The bathrom shower was moldy and the bathroom floor was both stained with dark spots and sprinkeld with hair. During a seven day stay the floor was not vaccumed once.
- The supposed business center is a table with a PC in the lobby. This is unsuited for any serious business usage.
- The hotel has no in-room internet access short of access to the general wireless Telstra network which is very expensive.
- There are only few free TV channels, and not even CNN (or any other international news channel)
- The elevator wait times can reach 5 minutes which is quite odd for a four-story hotel.
All in all this hotel is not recommended. There are better hotel for less money close by.
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.
We genuinely want to know what our guests think about our facilities and service. Our goal is to provide a totally satisfying experience to each and every person who stays at Rydges Carlton. Unfortunately, in your case, we were not successful.
I have spoken to our Executive Housekeeping Manager in regards to your comments and steps have been taken to ensure these problems do not occur in the future.
You will be pleased to know the hotel is still currently undergoing a multi million dollar refurbishment with our new restaurant and bar area recently being completed.
A new business centre is currently under construction and the installation of broad band internet access is planned for later on in the year.
Beofre closing I want to say that with the large number of hotels available in the market place, we realise that you had a choice. We greatly appreciate that you chose to stay with us at Rydges Carlton.