Esploratore's Traveler Profile
- Favourite music
- macklemore-lewis / grimes / miles davis / digweed / lewis watson / neil young
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Favourite movie
- howl's moving castle / princess mononoke / once upon a time in the west
- English, French, Italian, Tshiluba, some Swahili, some Lingala, some Spanish, some Russian
- Favourite quote
- be kind, do good work, enjoy life
- Interests and hobbies
- travel, yes?
- Favourite book
- how we became human (joy harjo) / most anything by ben okri or by czesław miłosz
- The most amazing moment in my life so far
- they happen each day I am alive
My real name is Karl Hill, and I teach at the University of Washington, but I like to think of myself as an explorer! (Esploratore!)
After an accident years ago that involved a coma, my life is often a struggle of memory against forgetting. Photography is, for me, an ally in that effort, so this blog is as much about the photos as about the account of these travels. The photos themselves and the stories and feelings around each are my way of remembering my own past, as well as creating a record of my world now to fend off future forgetting.
I hope you enjoy them as well. :)
Recent Entries by Esploratore
Just like old times! - Sep 20, 2016
Today we drove 200km from Khowarib to Kamanjab. Two years ago when passing through Kamanjab we happened upon a Peace Corps Volunteer named Cayla Huxhold. She taught English at the local school. ...
Lions almost ate our Salticrax! - Sep 24, 2016
Today was a long and very eventful day, so I'll start from the beginning. We started the day with a pre-dawn breakfast at Okaukuejo Camp, and dashed out into the Park when the gates opened headed f...
Arriving in Etosha National Park! - Sep 23, 2016
Today we drove from the Cheetah Reserve to the West gate of Namibia's major protected wildlife park, Etosha ("The White Place"). We're staying in one of the park's five government run lodges, Okauk...