Esploratore's Traveler Profile
- Favourite music
- macklemore-lewis / grimes / miles davis / digweed / lewis watson / neil young
- Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Favourite movie
- howl's moving castle / princess mononoke / once upon a time in the west
- English, French, Italian, Tshiluba, some Swahili, some Lingala, some Spanish, some Russian
- Favourite quote
- be kind, do good work, enjoy life
- Interests and hobbies
- travel, yes?
- Favourite book
- how we became human (joy harjo) / most anything by ben okri or by czesław miłosz
- The most amazing moment in my life so far
- they happen each day I am alive
My real name is Karl Hill, and I teach at the University of Washington, but I like to think of myself as an explorer! (Esploratore!)
After an accident years ago that involved a coma, my life is often a struggle of memory against forgetting. Photography is, for me, an ally in that effort, so this blog is as much about the photos as about the account of these travels. The photos themselves and the stories and feelings around each are my way of remembering my own past, as well as creating a record of my world now to fend off future forgetting.
I hope you enjoy them as well. :)
Recent Entries by Esploratore
Way out (north)west - Sep 8, 2014
After one final fabulous breakfast by Roeleen at the Otjitotongwe Cheetah rescue, we headed out for the remote northwest corner of Namibia. As we drove north, the land became more and more epic!...
Damaraland & A seaside resort (in winter?) - Sep 10, 2014
The drive down from Kaokoland through Damaraland and on out to the Skeleton Coast was long (580km!) but passed through some of the most epic, beautiful landscapes of our trip! We drove from the dis...
In the heart of the Namib Desert! - Sep 11, 2014
Today we drove from the seaside town of Swakopmund inland, and down to the heart of the Namib Desert called Sossusvlei. For the deserts of the world, the Sossusvlei is the Holy Grail. The dri...