Djchurch's Traveler Profile
- Besides professional homeless person? Well, there were those 6 years of teaching high school. Made gravestones for a while. Was a professional hiker for a bit. Failed waiter. Seven and a half foot tall beaver. Umm, let's stick with the teaching.
- Favourite music
- Turntable Soul, Jazz, Rock in all forms, Electro-Jazz, Electronic, Blues, World, you name it - my ipod is a wondrous aural landscape.
- Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada. In a hospital that now serves as low income housing. Ahh, such a lovely little town.
- Favourite movie
- Well, I'm a big cinephile (doesn't that word sound so evil? Like I'm into killing puppies that are siblings? No? Hmm) Much like my music tastes, favourites are varied.
- Well, speaky English some good. I can hobble by in French, and still order food and embarass waitresses in Korean restaurants (in Korean).
- Favourite quote
- "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
- Interests and hobbies
- I sold everything I owned, quit my job, and cashed in my retirement savings to do this trip, so I guess I'd say basket weaving. I mean traveling!! Basket weaving is what I will be doing once my family has me put away for doing the above. And cameras.
- One thing I want to do before I die
- Try to finish this trip. And just once sneeze with my eyes open (which could lead to the death in question).
- Favourite book
- Difficult question. Since my back started to break from lugging 15 books in my pack, I've been whacking audio pods onto the ol' ipod. Recently? Shantoram, Heat, The Road, Bob Geldof's Africa.
- My friends describe me as
- Mentally ill? Idiotic? Quixotic? (Probably not, but what a cool word).
- The most amazing moment in my life so far
- Wow - I've been lucky enough to have enough of those moments to make it too hard to choose. Many of them are in this blog, and fortunately for me, many of them are not.
Recent Entries by Djchurch
Istanbul (not Constantinople) - Aug 28, 2006
I think I will occasional type of segments of my journal for my entries (if only because I am so far behind, and have been in these places a couple of months ago). I think it will give a better sen...
Planet Baobab - Aug 29, 2007
The next morning, I packed up and headed out. Once reaching town I was told that all the buses to Nata had left around 6 am. I walked over to Spar, cut up a box, borrowed a marker and made a sign t...
Night Train to Jaipur and DJ Rants - Jan 1, 2008
Sleeper class on an Indian train is the solid Indian middle class way of travel. Some "real" travelers will tell you that you haven't had the true Indian experience unless you travel around in thir...