Suite San Pietro
Travel Blogs from Rome
... next to the Tiber river.
Finally at the Colosseum, we entered the underground level and stood where gladiators and animals once waited before battle. We also walked on the reconstructed arena floor area for a unique viewpoint, then finished up on the third level, the highest possible to visit for some spectacular views across Rome.
By then we were pooped so after a 20 min walk back to our apartment, had an early tea and off to bed for an early ...
... that the temple has many floors rooms and St. Peter's is basically one gigantic room. It's longer and taller than a football field. Interesting things: St. Peter is buried there, Michelangelo's pieta is there, and Pope John XXIII's body is on display there (read about this if you like). After the Vatican we walked a mile to get the best Italian pizza ever. The crust what makes it. Thank goodness we didn't show up any later or we ...
... compassionate. We contiued on to San Clemente. The church its self was not outstanding according to italian standards, but once one descends the two levels underground it is humbling. The first level below is from the 8th to 11th century where church services were provided. The level beneath that, which is two stories below ground, one walks through the 1900 year old remains of Roman homes. One Roman room had a spring flowing through it which ...
... shopping. The next haul was Singapore - Frankfurt 13 hours and managed to sleep for most of the time. Then 3 hours at Frankfurt, a very large airport and a very long walk to the gate for the next flight Frankfurt to Rome, flying with Lufthansa. We are so lucky that we are travelling today as tomorrow Lufthansa go on strike for 3 days. We tracked down the shuttle driver, that I had booked online and he drove us the 40 mins into Rome. We ...
Can't possibly begin to describe how amazing Rome is. Why haven't we visited Rome before?
I am too awestruck to digest this into a long blog today but I will catch up. Today we visited: the Colosseum, The Basilica of St. Peter in Chains ( chains magically fused- I have never heard about this -Penn and Teller? (Ken's theory) then the Trevi fountain (obligatory coins donated to Poseidon), then the Pantheon, then the Bernini fountain square that ...
Other places to stay in Rome
Viale Castello Della Magliana 65, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $112
- Good deal if you don't mind the location
- Spacious, convenient, affordable way to start/end trips
- Good ending to our Italy trip
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $116
- Central to all the major sites in Rome
- Hot, Noisy, You Can Do Better
- Nice but noisy
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $98
- Enjoy your stay, don't make a fuss about the distance !
- Good hotel, very friendly staff
- Depends on your priorities -- I liked the hotel a lot
Monte Mario, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $264
- Treated like royalty
- The Cavalieri Hilton is Outstanding
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $305
- Top Notch Hotel
- Westin Excelsior March 2004
- Fantastic Empire stile hotel
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $146
- A great hotel for a city break
- If you want to be next door to the station...
- Not really a 4* hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $110
- Bad impression
- Thank you Trip Advisor! Spot on!
- Good hotel, questionable location!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- $$ = what you get
- Near city with a pool
- Acceptable but not great
Ciampino Airport, Rome | 2 star hotelfrom $84
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $182
- Visconit Palace - Excellent Value
- Good location & Reasonably priced
- Good hotel
Via Colonnello Tommaso Masala 54, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $125
- Very Nice Hotel Outside Center of Rome
- Really outside town
- Disorganised expense
Ardeatino, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $99
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $309
- EXCELLENT IN EVERY WAY
- Loved it
Castro Pretorio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $165
- Great service!
- Rome Is Calling Me Back
- What a Load of Rubbish
Appio Claudio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $71
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $76
- Do not go
- This hotel is hell on Earth
- Great for tour group
Via Prenestina, 944, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $72
- A good stopping point - on your way to city centre
- One miserable experience after the other
- Not recommended
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82
- Great Hotel! Loved it!
- Great hotel
- Great hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $132
- Very good hotel in a quiet place!
- Nice, but too far from major attractions
- The Villa in the Pines
EUR, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Great hotel but not for tourists
- Una mala ubicación, un buen hotel
- Un hotel muy bueno
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $78
- Refurbished Rooms
- Come on! It wasn't that bad.
- Not a **** hotel!!!!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $100
- Great Value
- A great hotel in great grounds
- Simply Fabulous!
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $170
- Perfect location
- Very Central
- Great location
Historic Center, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Poor time at the Porta!
- Loved our stay here
- Very noisy hotel
Suburbio Aurelio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $68
- Generally good
- NOt very central to the sights
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82