Travel Blogs from Rome
... controlled a great deal of Italy). He was also, later on, engaged by the Pope to come back and paint the Last Judgment on one of the walls of the sistine chapel. Strictly no photos are allowed in the Sistine chapel and it is rigorously policed by the Caribinieri. It was really quite something going through there and also seeing the famous doors behind which the new pope is elected.
Next we were taken to St Peter's Basilica and given a rundown of he things to look out ...
... of the day consisted of the famous sculptures at (church names), the coliseum, and the Roman forum. Those four things may not sound like much, but we did it all in about 3 ˝ hours.
We called it a day around 7 since we had a very early morning today. A word about the place we were staying: we rented a room in a guy's apartment where a funny Canadian and a woman from Georgia ...
... oldest one still standing in the world.
It's pretty spectacular when the Colosseum first enters your field of view. It really exists! I used the free Rick Steve's audioguide to navigate my way around. Of all the ancient Roman sites, this one is by far my favourite.
As it was now early evening, I went exploring city streets. I ate pizza by the splice (pizza al taglio) and Danish beer, while ...
... we couldn't really get to it when we visited it the other day. Well, we arrived at it and found it drained. There were men in the fountain collecting all the money that people have thrown in. There were thousands and thousands of coins the men were sweeping and scooping up to put in trash bags. We watched them for a while before continuing to wander around. We spent a few hours looking at places, grabbing a cappuccino, and shopping ...
... wandering this hill's massive ruins.
4) Capitoline Hill: Above the historic ruins of this city sit several palaces, two of which are now converted to the Capitoline Museums. For over two thousand years the city's government has been housed here, most recently in the mayoral palace (Palazzo Senatorio). There is a spacious square (Campidoglio) and ...
TripAdvisor Reviews Sourire Hotel Rome
Other places to stay in Rome
Viale Castello Della Magliana 65, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $117
- Good deal if you don't mind the location
- Spacious, convenient, affordable way to start/end trips
- Good ending to our Italy trip
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $125
- Central to all the major sites in Rome
- Hot, Noisy, You Can Do Better
- Nice but noisy
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $100
- Enjoy your stay, don't make a fuss about the distance !
- Good hotel, very friendly staff
- Depends on your priorities -- I liked the hotel a lot
Monte Mario, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $254
- Treated like royalty
- The Cavalieri Hilton is Outstanding
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $356
- Top Notch Hotel
- Westin Excelsior March 2004
- Fantastic Empire stile hotel
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $199
- A great hotel for a city break
- If you want to be next door to the station...
- Not really a 4* hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $91
- Bad impression
- Thank you Trip Advisor! Spot on!
- Good hotel, questionable location!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $132
- $$ = what you get
- Near city with a pool
- Acceptable but not great
Ciampino Airport, Rome | 2 star hotelfrom $95
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $144
- Visconit Palace - Excellent Value
- Good location & Reasonably priced
- Good hotel
Via Colonnello Tommaso Masala 54, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- Very Nice Hotel Outside Center of Rome
- Really outside town
- Disorganised expense
Ardeatino, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $105
Castro Pretorio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $173
- Great service!
- Rome Is Calling Me Back
- What a Load of Rubbish
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $306
- EXCELLENT IN EVERY WAY
- Loved it
Appio Claudio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $66
Via Prenestina, 944, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $72
- A good stopping point - on your way to city centre
- One miserable experience after the other
- Not recommended
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $71
- Do not go
- This hotel is hell on Earth
- Great for tour group
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $84
- Great Hotel! Loved it!
- Great hotel
- Great hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $119
- Very good hotel in a quiet place!
- Nice, but too far from major attractions
- The Villa in the Pines
EUR, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Great hotel but not for tourists
- Una mala ubicación, un buen hotel
- Un hotel muy bueno
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $89
- Great Value
- A great hotel in great grounds
- Simply Fabulous!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $88
- Refurbished Rooms
- Come on! It wasn't that bad.
- Not a **** hotel!!!!
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $166
- Perfect location
- Very Central
- Great location
Historic Center, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Poor time at the Porta!
- Loved our stay here
- Very noisy hotel
Suburbio Aurelio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $87
- Generally good
- NOt very central to the sights
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $72