Travel Blogs from Rome
Sunday, November 30, 2014
Last night we went out for a nice evening meal in Trastevere. They are starting to put the Christmas lights up which is pretty. It was like a party out there. However it also meant that it was a bit of a noisy night for sleeping – for the first time. So I woke up quite tired today. We had a huge walking day – going all the way to the Spanish Steps – very ...
... had read the book, "The Sistine Secrets - Michelangelo's Forbidden Messages in the Heart of the Vatican", and we all really enjoyed finding these secret symbols in the frescoes with Francesca. Then we visited St. Peter's Basilica which took over 4000 artisans 250 years to build and we saw some of the 700 statues, 100 tombs and 44 alters inside. We concluded our three hours with Francesca in St. Peter's Square watching the changing ...
In a final attempt to end the madness of the past three days, a Roman soldier wielded his sword and plunged it deep into the neck of the young Cecelia. But even the brutal force of the Roman army was no match for the steadfast Cecelia.
For three days Cecelia lie dying, her face radiant like that of an angel, her gentle words calling souls to Jesus. The hardened soldiers could bear no more; ...
... reminiscent of the Scots' football fans in Trafalgar Square, minus the kilts, the chanting, the sloshing about in the water and drunkenness. In fact, it wasn't like that at all! It did spring to mind, however. Another short back-street stroll took us to the Pantheon, a supposed "must see" in our guide book. Its grandeur is undeniable; it doesn't have St Peter's Basilica wow-factor, however, and a brief glimpse of Raphael's tomb was the highlight. ...
... some long pants. After striking out at a few stores, we did find some @ the Nike store, so we were all set!
Here we go, all in pants, walking to the Vatican - about a 15 minute walk. But, it's 95 degrees out! The Boys (Mike too) were all are suffering in long pants. And the lines were LONG!!! of course, because it was the free/open Sunday.
The good was nobody melted, we saw the ...
Other places to stay in Rome
Viale Castello Della Magliana 65, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $112
- Good deal if you don't mind the location
- Spacious, convenient, affordable way to start/end trips
- Good ending to our Italy trip
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $116
- Central to all the major sites in Rome
- Hot, Noisy, You Can Do Better
- Nice but noisy
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $98
- Enjoy your stay, don't make a fuss about the distance !
- Good hotel, very friendly staff
- Depends on your priorities -- I liked the hotel a lot
Monte Mario, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $264
- Treated like royalty
- The Cavalieri Hilton is Outstanding
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $305
- Top Notch Hotel
- Westin Excelsior March 2004
- Fantastic Empire stile hotel
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $146
- A great hotel for a city break
- If you want to be next door to the station...
- Not really a 4* hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $110
- Bad impression
- Thank you Trip Advisor! Spot on!
- Good hotel, questionable location!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- $$ = what you get
- Near city with a pool
- Acceptable but not great
Ciampino Airport, Rome | 2 star hotelfrom $84
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $182
- Visconit Palace - Excellent Value
- Good location & Reasonably priced
- Good hotel
Via Colonnello Tommaso Masala 54, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $125
- Very Nice Hotel Outside Center of Rome
- Really outside town
- Disorganised expense
Ardeatino, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $99
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $309
- EXCELLENT IN EVERY WAY
- Loved it
Castro Pretorio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $165
- Great service!
- Rome Is Calling Me Back
- What a Load of Rubbish
Appio Claudio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $71
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $76
- Do not go
- This hotel is hell on Earth
- Great for tour group
Via Prenestina, 944, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $72
- A good stopping point - on your way to city centre
- One miserable experience after the other
- Not recommended
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82
- Great Hotel! Loved it!
- Great hotel
- Great hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $132
- Very good hotel in a quiet place!
- Nice, but too far from major attractions
- The Villa in the Pines
EUR, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Great hotel but not for tourists
- Una mala ubicación, un buen hotel
- Un hotel muy bueno
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $100
- Great Value
- A great hotel in great grounds
- Simply Fabulous!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $78
- Refurbished Rooms
- Come on! It wasn't that bad.
- Not a **** hotel!!!!
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $170
- Perfect location
- Very Central
- Great location
Historic Center, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Poor time at the Porta!
- Loved our stay here
- Very noisy hotel
Suburbio Aurelio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $68
- Generally good
- NOt very central to the sights
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82