Travel Blogs from Rome
... on they burn the paper and smoke comes out of a special chimney, when it turns white, 'Hosea' they have elected a Pope. We were shown which building this 'Smoke' comes out of !!!!
From there we turned right down a big flight of stairs along a path into St Peters Square and entered the St Peters Basilica. What a magnificent 'Spectacle' (these Catholics have got it all)
there isn't one piece of wall or ceiling that's hasn't ...
... and cooked my first artichoke today. It is not rocket science if somebody just show you how to do it. After one artichoke I consider myself almost and expert and ready to try it at home.
* the Italians do not know marinara sauce, that horrible red stuff we put on pizza, and that I hate so much. Here the red sauce is made by frying a garlic glove in olive oil, and then adding peeled tomatoes to it. Cook it till it is soft, blend with an emersion blender and finish it off ...
... w/ the Pope ROMAN OBSERVATIONS There are very few obese Italians Lots of small children in strollers Smoking is prevalent, makes one wonder about the cancer rate in Italy Many dogs on leashes Collars are worn up and pant legs are very tapered (men & women) Men's jackets are tight and closed with one button Vatican tour agents have no concept of the word Mass and Catholic Elderly ( older than us) being aided by younger adults ...
... then St. Peter's Basilica. The line was a lot shorter than any of us expected (we thought three hours and got about half an hour), and the inside was unbelievable. There was completely marvelous marble flooring and beautiful walls, not to mention all the sculptures and paintings. We took the elevator to the top and got a glorious view of the church, then climbed the steps even higher to the top of the dome. Walking the steps, the walls became slanted as we entered the dome, and ...
Our last day in Rome
We were up early again today – 5.45am to get ready for breakfast at 6.30am. We have a great deal of choice for breakfast, with toast,cereal, bread, croissants, yoghurt, bacon and eggs, as well as juice, coffee and tea. We'll have to get used to having a smaller breakfast at home!
After breakfast, we were off for our day trip to Pompeii by 7.15am. The long drive was worthwhile. We met up with our local expert ...
Other places to stay in Rome
Viale Castello Della Magliana 65, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $112
- Good deal if you don't mind the location
- Spacious, convenient, affordable way to start/end trips
- Good ending to our Italy trip
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $116
- Central to all the major sites in Rome
- Hot, Noisy, You Can Do Better
- Nice but noisy
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $98
- Enjoy your stay, don't make a fuss about the distance !
- Good hotel, very friendly staff
- Depends on your priorities -- I liked the hotel a lot
Monte Mario, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $264
- Treated like royalty
- The Cavalieri Hilton is Outstanding
125, Via Vittorio Veneto, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $153
- Top Notch Hotel
- Westin Excelsior March 2004
- Fantastic Empire stile hotel
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $146
- A great hotel for a city break
- If you want to be next door to the station...
- Not really a 4* hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $110
- Bad impression
- Thank you Trip Advisor! Spot on!
- Good hotel, questionable location!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- $$ = what you get
- Near city with a pool
- Acceptable but not great
Ciampino Airport, Rome | 2 star hotelfrom $84
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $182
- Visconit Palace - Excellent Value
- Good location & Reasonably priced
- Good hotel
Via Colonnello Tommaso Masala 54, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $125
- Very Nice Hotel Outside Center of Rome
- Really outside town
- Disorganised expense
Ardeatino, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $99
Sannomiya Station, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $69
Castro Pretorio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $165
- Great service!
- Rome Is Calling Me Back
- What a Load of Rubbish
Appio Claudio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $71
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $76
- Do not go
- This hotel is hell on Earth
- Great for tour group
Via Prenestina, 944, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $72
- A good stopping point - on your way to city centre
- One miserable experience after the other
- Not recommended
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82
- Great Hotel! Loved it!
- Great hotel
- Great hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $132
- Very good hotel in a quiet place!
- Nice, but too far from major attractions
- The Villa in the Pines
EUR, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Great hotel but not for tourists
- Una mala ubicación, un buen hotel
- Un hotel muy bueno
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $78
- Refurbished Rooms
- Come on! It wasn't that bad.
- Not a **** hotel!!!!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $100
- Great Value
- A great hotel in great grounds
- Simply Fabulous!
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $170
- Perfect location
- Very Central
- Great location
Via Aurelia Km 8,400, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $146
- Generally good
- NOt very central to the sights
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82