Travel Blogs from Rome
... tiny station was total chaos. One guy at the ticket desk, queues out the door. Nearly gave up and turned back but eventually got a ticket. Two in fact. I tried to ask for one RETURN. He thought I meant two people. Oh well.... Pleasant journey (on a seat) into Rome. Then another crammed public bus to St Peters Square. Got off one stop early because I couldn't stand the crush. When the driver let a huge woman on who could fit in only with door open ...
... has the city shifted that much. It was quite entertaining to watch the poses people would come up with for photos with the tower; pretending to hold it up, blow it over, run away from it and so forth, as it looks like it could crumble at any moment. Directly adjacent to the tower is a beautiful basilica also well worth a visit. Before we knew it, the sun was setting and it was time for us to head back to Firenze to pack our bags to depart the next morning to ...
We only have 3 days in rome. We lost day 1 in Santorini airport, and day 3 is our trip to Pompeii, so we really have to haul ass today to take in as much of Rome as possible. We start the day early and head to the Colosseum which is a good way to beat the crowds and the heat. We jump on board with a local tour group for 25euro to get some insight into the Colosseum. The place is visually spectacular and our guide makes it very interesting. Makes us want ...
... tasty ristorante about a block from our apartment. Marco decided to adventure a little with his pizza habit and ordered pizza con funghi (mushrooms), Paolo ordered spaghetti alla carbonara, I got gnocchi con pesto e Olivia got the same, as well as a pizza margherita. We made our way back to Trastevere, where we stopped at a supermercato for some new wine to taste and some snacks for the night. Olivia bonded with a few Italian men about our ...
... right off!
The sun was starting to set and we thought it would be nice to see the fountain lit up at night. That gave us enough time to wander up to Piazza Venezia to see the Vittorio Emanuele II monument - a very ostentatious war memorial dismissively referred to as 'The Typewriter' by locals who regard it as out of place in it's ancient neighbourhood (the Forum and Colosseum are right behind the hill on which it's ...
Other places to stay in Rome
Viale Castello Della Magliana 65, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $112
- Good deal if you don't mind the location
- Spacious, convenient, affordable way to start/end trips
- Good ending to our Italy trip
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $116
- Central to all the major sites in Rome
- Hot, Noisy, You Can Do Better
- Nice but noisy
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $98
- Enjoy your stay, don't make a fuss about the distance !
- Good hotel, very friendly staff
- Depends on your priorities -- I liked the hotel a lot
Monte Mario, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $264
- Treated like royalty
- The Cavalieri Hilton is Outstanding
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $305
- Top Notch Hotel
- Westin Excelsior March 2004
- Fantastic Empire stile hotel
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $146
- A great hotel for a city break
- If you want to be next door to the station...
- Not really a 4* hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $110
- Bad impression
- Thank you Trip Advisor! Spot on!
- Good hotel, questionable location!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- $$ = what you get
- Near city with a pool
- Acceptable but not great
Ciampino Airport, Rome | 2 star hotelfrom $84
Vatican City, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $182
- Visconit Palace - Excellent Value
- Good location & Reasonably priced
- Good hotel
Via Colonnello Tommaso Masala 54, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $125
- Very Nice Hotel Outside Center of Rome
- Really outside town
- Disorganised expense
Ardeatino, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $99
Historic Center, Rome | 5 star hotelfrom $309
- EXCELLENT IN EVERY WAY
- Loved it
Castro Pretorio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $165
- Great service!
- Rome Is Calling Me Back
- What a Load of Rubbish
Appio Claudio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $71
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $76
- Do not go
- This hotel is hell on Earth
- Great for tour group
Via Prenestina, 944, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $72
- A good stopping point - on your way to city centre
- One miserable experience after the other
- Not recommended
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82
- Great Hotel! Loved it!
- Great hotel
- Great hotel
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $132
- Very good hotel in a quiet place!
- Nice, but too far from major attractions
- The Villa in the Pines
EUR, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Great hotel but not for tourists
- Una mala ubicación, un buen hotel
- Un hotel muy bueno
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $100
- Great Value
- A great hotel in great grounds
- Simply Fabulous!
Trastevere/Aventine, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $78
- Refurbished Rooms
- Come on! It wasn't that bad.
- Not a **** hotel!!!!
Historic Center, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $170
- Perfect location
- Very Central
- Great location
Historic Center, Rome | 3 star hotelfrom $88
- Poor time at the Porta!
- Loved our stay here
- Very noisy hotel
Suburbio Aurelio, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $68
- Generally good
- NOt very central to the sights
EUR, Rome | 4 star hotelfrom $82