Travel Blogs from Stockholm
... returned shortly after at about 3:30pm. Later, Dennis and I took the same ferry back to Djurgarden to meet Mimi and Per Olaf for dinner. We ate at a restaurant that their sons had recommended as new and trendy. We all decided to be experimental and go with the server's food recommendations. We started with bone marrow (ugh - I can see why dogs like bones so much), egg with caviar (hmmm), and deep fried cod (okay now you're talking.) Next Dennis ...
... then walked to the place of the military parade/changing of the guard. The place was really crowded, as expected, but I managed to get fairly close to the edge of the crowd and some people left in the middle of the ceremony, so I ended up in the front row. The changing of the guard ceremony at Stockholm palace is a pompous and elaborate affair: there's a mounted band with drums ...
... with fresh dill, sour cream and raw red onions and fresh strawberries and cream with the perfect accompaniment of spiced schnapps! A drinking song accompanies each downing of the schnapps. Sköl! Dessert was a delicious strawberry cake made by Rikard.
Midsummer celebration is a family affair and generations of families were out - many with midsummer crowns on their heads. (Our flowers didn't last!). When the maypole is put up, ...
... The church dates frrom the late 1600s and the popular climb to the top seemed irresistable. Dad stayed behind and I made my way slowly to the top...or almost. I think I made 391 steps and decided to head back down...slowly. The tight, winding staircase is mighty narrow and outside of a guardrail to hold onto, there's nothing else! In addition, the old wooden steps that lead to the spire are very narrow and steep and take you within feet ...
... of the cabnin crew were above average but I saw passengers giving them wheelchair assistance!!! They didn’t seem the happiest bunch either. He probably couldn’t wait to get off the plane!!
7.CAR On arriving back at Manchester about 45 minutes late, we phoned the car park and within 30 minutes we were loaded and driving the 30 miles or so back home.
So, 7 modes of transport in one day. I know it’s nowhere near a world record ...
Other places to stay in Stockholm
Tegelbacken 6, Stockholm | 5 star hotelfrom $177
- Smallish rooms with really soft beds
- Excellent Hotel
Ringvagen 98, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $177
- Swedish Meatballs??
- Cool and hip- not your parent's hotel!
- Good choice in Stockholm
Norrmalm, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $163
- Stylish, but not an architectural must-see.
- Simply great and very relaxing surroundings!
Sodra Blasieholmshammen 8, Stockholm | 5 star hotelfrom $306
- The grand dam of Scandinavia
- Amazing Location
- Overpriced establishment resting on its reputation
Norrmalm, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $166
- Lovely modern hotel
- Acceptable but nothing special
- Would Not Stay Here Again
Norrmalm, Stockholm | 5 star hotelfrom $203
Slojdgatan 7, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $192
- Great hotel, central location, nice staff
- Clean and comfortable
- A Surprise
Enskede - Årsta - Vantör, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $151
Kungsgatan 47, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $191
- Clean, convenient, a little bit cramped
- Fantastic Hotel, Great Price
- Preiswert für Stockholm
Norrmalm, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $35
- Location Location Location and a great room!
- A very nice place to stay!
Brunkebergstorg 9 , Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $186
- First class hotel, one of the best!!
- Scandic Hotel mit besserer Qualität
- Gute Lage, Hotel war in Ordnung
Södermalm, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $165
Kungsholmsgatan 31, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $165
- Nice lobby
- Did you all stay in the same hotel as me?
- A good choice
Massvagen 2 Alvsjo, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $144
Sodra Kajen 37, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $135
Humlegardsgatan 23, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $195
Ekgardsvagen 2, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $135
St Eriksgatan 115, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $145
- Nice hotel, great breakfast/service
- Elite is the chain...not this hotel!
- Not Elite... But a very good Hotel.
Södermalm, Stockholm | 5 star hotelfrom $177
- Wonderful view and great location
- Great location, Great Hotel
Nybrogatan 53, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $172
- Great hotel, great city
- Romantic atmosphere in the heart of Stocholm
- Loved the mornington hotel
Omonia Square, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $149
- Nice stay, good package
- Great little hotel
- Get a suite
Kungenskurva - Oxholmsgrand 2, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $129
Wallingatan 15, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $170
Norrmalm, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $216
- Value for money garanteed
- Found the light disappointing.
- Excellent Location but.... not what we expected!
Katarinavagen 26, Stockholm | 3 star hotelfrom $162
Karlavagen 43, Stockholm | 4 star hotelfrom $179