Oakwood at West 53rd
Travel Blogs from New York City
Another sleep in and a few episodes of games of thrones we started our walk from home making our way through Williamsburg and Brooklyn to the historic Bridge on a beautiful sunny NYC day. Over the other side we enjoyed a NYC bagel.
The evening we set up camp at home with our hosts Michelle, Joyce and the mum and tuned into the fight of the century - Pac Man and Mayweather (winner).
... for nothing. Ripper!!
Not to be outdone, we obtained the address in Brooklyn of the Pie Shop and were told that they would have plenty of pies there. Acting like locals we boarded the Path Train from Jersey City, transferred at 14th Street Station in the sub-way system to catch the "F" train to 15th Street Brooklyn. A short walk down the street and there was the shop and there were the pies. No Chinaman in sight.
... on breakfast TV,
Before heading back to the Apartment we walked down to 27th St and visited The Museum of Sex on 5th Avenue. It was a bit of a disappointment apart from the Linda Lovelace exhibit which chronicled her life in the porn industry and her later fight against abuse of women in the industry.
After a busy day it was back to the apartment for dinner and some TV.
Using the water taxi we headed back to the Wall St and 911 memorial area in search of the Century 21 store. This is a store full of name brands deeply discounted. There we spent several hours browsing the floors but not buying much. A very busy store. We caught the water taxi back and checked the discount ticket ...
... up close to them. We also saw some turtles at turtle park.
Contrary to what we thought, we have found New Yorkers to be extremely friendly and helpful. There have been many times when we've had that lost look on our faces only to have a New Yorker come up and ask if we need help.
After a big day of walking we caught the subway home and on the way grabbed some traditional buffalo wings to have for dinner. Cant wait to dig into ...
Other places to stay in New York City
Midtown East, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $218
- Great value and great hotel!
- Good Location, Average Hotel
- Fabulous hotel!
Midtown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $220
- Great Value, Nice Room
- Loved it!
- Nice hotel, but ...
Garment District, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $213
- Hated it!!!
- Native NY'er says "These rooms are perfect for the price!"
- Good choice
Midtown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $211
- Great Ambiance
- Hudson Horrors
- Won't Be Back
Theater District - Times Square, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $274
- Review of ny sheraton
- Typical sheraton...nice place
- Very Nice Establishment!
Midtown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $237
- Small room
- Cool Hotel
- Not up to the usual W standards
Theater District - Times Square, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $294
- You call this a modern hotel?
- Always stay at the W Times Square!
- The most happening place in the city- Great Location
Upper East Side, New York City | 5 star hotelfrom $418
- Looooove the Pierre
- If your looking for an 'escort', this seemed the place to be..
- Not up to Four Seasons Standards
Midtown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $256
- Loved the New York Marriott East Side
- Good stay at the Marriott
- Had and enjoyable stay
Midtown, New York City | 2 star hotelfrom $209
- Nonsense-- Have Stayed Here 4 Time, Just Fine
- Know what you're getting
Midtown, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $289
- Great Value, Great Location
- Great Location, great hotel
- Great Location
Upper West Side, New York City | 2 star hotelfrom $159
- Not so nice.
- Great F*kin holiday!
- Quality Hotel on Broadway Needs to Reflect Name
Midtown, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $270
- Great stay!!!
- First class hotel in the heart of Manhattan
Midtown, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $256
- Loved Shula's!
- Great for convention, subpar for Westin
- Excellent in every way!
Midtown Center, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $336
- The only way to see New York
- Revisiting a New York treasure
- Fit for a king... but you had to be one!
Tudor City, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $211
- Comfortable, small, quiet
- Good, but no cigar
- A tranquil oasis in the city that new sleeps !
Midtown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $198
- Excellent Room and hotel
- Loved the Sheraton Manhattan
- I loved NY
Theater District - Times Square, New York City | 2 star hotelfrom $199
- Worth the money
- Pleasantly suprised
- Great Stay
Koreatown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $278
- Wonderful experience at the Holiday Inn Martinique
- Nothing wrong with this hotel
- Loved new york, but not The Martinique
Midtown, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $265
- This Hotel Is A 4Star Disappointment!
- I expect more for my money
- Would not reccomend it to anyone
Upper West Side, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $231
- Great hotel for lower Central Park West
- Nice Look but lacking atmosphere
Clinton, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $219
- Really good!
- Good location but...
- Clean, comfortable, good location
Midtown, New York City | 3 star hotelfrom $194
- Very good value!
- Just tolerable
- Why so negative?
Midtown, New York City | 4 star hotelfrom $261
- Absolutely Fabulous
- Just okay
- One of my favorites!
Midtown, New York City | 5 star hotelfrom $340
- Good upgrade from the Rhiga
- Only OK
- Above and beyond
Midtown, New York City | 1 star hotelfrom $150
- Dont Say here!
- Stay away from this hotel!!!
- Horrible? No!