Travel Blogs from Amsterdam
Breakfast, check-out, a morning walk through Bruges’ main park, and then back to the train this morning. We’re currently headed back to Brussels so we can take a train from there to Amsterdam. More later.
Phew. Another long day. We spent most of the day in trains today and arrived in Amsterdam in the early evening. After settling into our airbnb, we made our way into the city to walk around.
The weather was much better this morning, still overcast but not raining. We went to a little cafe for breakfast and also bought a salad baggette for lunch. Today we are doing a Mikes Bikes tour into the countryside and we have been told to bring a picnic lunch.
Tour starts at 11am. There are 34 people so they split us into 2 groups. All ages although probably more 20 something's than oldies. But we were not the oldest, there was an older couple from America and a ...
... speaking English, and sounded very American. Andy and I decided to strike up a conversation with them and see where they were from, etc. Turns out they were from America, too! It was so nice to be able to talk with them for a little bit.
After dinner, we headed back to Amsterdam Centraal to gather our belongings from our locker, and catch a train to get us close to our hotel. We opted to stay on the coast of the Netherlands, as we wanted to be closer to the ...
... anniversary there as well on the beach at Bestial in Barceloneta, one of our favorite Barcelona restaurants. In September we renamed our foundation Run for your Son into ‘Run4Air’ to be in line with the other events the Dutch Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is running (eg Skate4Air) and organized for the first time the ‘Run with your Kids’ run in the Vondelpark in Amsterdam. On September 28, we ran 1 and 3 kilometers with 160 parents and kids to raise money ...
... and watch out for the bikes. There are only about a half of million of them. My first impression of Amsterdam wasn't favorable. I found the area leading to and around Dam Square debauched and smelly. A word of caution: Amsterdam is a very "Progressive" city. Sex shops are numerous and marijuana smoking is common. (A coffee shop sells marijuana; a coffeehouse sells coffee and a cafe is actually a bar.) I personally don't particularly care for that ...
Other places to stay in Amsterdam
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $211
- Stay Away
- Great value and truly very comfortable!
- Club Rooms do the job
Burgwallen-Nieuwe Zijde, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $196
- Seemed fine to me
- Underrated and can be good value
- Stay elsewhere
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $86
Zeeburg, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $208
- Still has teething problems
- Very Pleasant
- Not a bad choice..
Buitenveldert-Oost, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- A great choice for my family
- Comfortable and clean - no surprises
- Good Hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $226
- Excellent Hotel, Room, service and Value!
- Stayed 4 times
- Really a 4 star.
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $247
- Good comfort but boring
- Chain Charming
- Request an Apartment Unit
Amsterdam South, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $119
De Pijp, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $225
- Disappointing hotel - not worth 5 stars
- A Very Nice Stay
- Its much better than portrayed
ZuidOost (Business District), Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $155
- A good Business Hotel
- Great service, clean hotel, reasonably priced
- Friendly service
Apollobuurt, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $212
- All the Hilton Perks
- Peace and Quiet
- Everything we expect from Hilton - and more
Amstel, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $105
Amstel, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $106
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $268
- Especially liked the health club!
- Great rate, nice hotel, good location
- The most comfortable bed ever.
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $167
- Our first hotel stay in Amsterdam, it was brilliant!
- Nice hotel but...
- Excellent Location
Sloten en Riekerpolder, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $107
- Not Enough focus on the customers needs
- Nice hotel
- Pleasant room, but all the problems of a new hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $236
- Beautiful, Wonderful Amrath
- Schönes, wundervolles Amrath
- What an experience!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $333
- They treated me like a relative
- Perfect Location - aweful service!
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $235
- We would stay again without a doubt
- Nothing special
- Great Hotel in Good Location!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $172
- Above Average European Hotel
- Not what we expected
- OK, but some problem at the check in time
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $154
- Overrated and Overpriced
- Loved the Eden Hotel
- Ordinary and overpriced
Distelkade 21, (formerly Golden Tulip City North), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $100
Westlandgracht, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $120
Centre, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $176
- Would stay again
- A great stay!
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $177
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City therefore Great Time!
- LOVED IT!!!
- Great hotel
Apollolaan 2, (formerly Le Meridien Apollo), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $220
- Basement Dungeon to Junior Suite
- Good average hotel
- Nice room, mediocre restaurant