TripAdvisor Reviews Nevada Crossing West Wendover
Travel Blogs from West Wendover
Came across a website that finds free (or almost free) campsites: http://freecampsites.net
and tonight we will enjoy the fruits of it: we are spending the night in an RV and truck parking lot beside McDonald's. Great choice: free wifi from McDonalds helps us get our work done and stay in touch, and there is no cost for parking.
One drawback: tonight the entire town is shutting ...
... when you drive for miles and miles without seeing a gas station, you take advantage when you can), took several Nevada pictures, and got some lunch. The real surprises were on the way to Nevada:
* there is a working copper mine in Magna, UT. We saw hundreds of tanks of sulfuric acid as we passed it. Not sure how they use it.
* there is a location for Morton Salt Company a ...
... prepare, some with proper teams involved. Then there is the start line, all without any shade of course and 100 degrees plus.. We spoke to several drivers who were all happy to share their experiences. One of our favourites was a lady wearing the ‘blue hat’ which meant that she had driven in excess of 300 mph. They race against the record for their category as opposed to each other. We had a great day – ...
... layer of salt on top of muddy lake bed. Most of the flat is hard and dry, but there are still some spots where the mud is still wet and it's easy for your car to break the crust and get stuck in the soft mud.
Another piece of advise from the Internet: to mark your odometer and/or gps so you know where you left from exactly. Because once you drive out onto the flats for a bit it's really hard to figure out where to go. We first slowly drive onto the ...
... administered by the Bureau of Land Management.
· The first automobile speed record on the flats was set by daredevil Teddy Tezlaff in 1914 – 141.73 mph.
· Craig Breedlove went 600.6 mph in the 1960’s.
· Gary Gabolich went 622.4 mph in 1970 in a rocket car named Blue Flame.
· About 15,000 years ago, Lake Bonneville ...
Other places to stay in West Wendover
100 Wendover Boulevard, West Wendover | Hotelfrom $59
- Great hotel and very kid friendly
- Luxury found in Wendover.
- Gorgeous hotel.
1045 Wendover Boulevard, West Wendover | Hotelfrom $49
680 Wendover Boulevard, West Wendover | Hotelfrom $49