Last Waterhole Hotel
Travel Blogs from Amsterdam
This is kicks being able to communicate with all the people I want to talk to at once! I was adding some of Adam Brooks' photos to previous entries and read the Bird and Kerouac entry again and thought about one of my favorite little pieces that I've ever written, so I'm going to attach it and send it out right here just for (more) kicks.... Jack …
Today I decided, on the spur of the moment, to go to Amsterdam. Jodi will just have to wait. So I boarded the train to Heidelberg, which connected to the train to Köln, which went right back through Mannheim again. It was a nice enough trip to Köln, where I had 30 mins to look at a very big gothic church right outside the station. Then on to …
... made and the way he had used his house. I think the most impressive piece I saw was a picture that included a lion - even though he had never actually seen a lion before. It wasn't exact but you could tell what it was supposed to be. From there I went to the Jewish museum and Portuguese Synagogue. The synagogue lacked the crazy wallpaper of the Spanish Synagogue I had seen in Prague but it did have really nice marble ...
It is common knowledge throughout the world, that in Amsterdam you may just enter a 'coffee shop' and buy marijuana legally. I really didn't know much more than that, why would I? But it's a fascinating trade even for one who doesn't partake. Unbelievably, the Dutch are the second biggest coffee drinkers. They drink no less than 140 litres of coffee a year on average. That's 3.2 cups a day and nearly double the beer they drink. Ironically there are 700 'coffee ...
... I am sure they have a residence somewhere else. It is big and very old and quite plain.
Amsterdam in this part of the city is old and quite frankly dirty. Even at 6 am in the morning as we boarded our bus to go to the flower market, the street is littered with rubbish and cigarette butts. Further out we have discovered there are lots of apartments all about 5 story high and street after street of them. ...
Other places to stay in Amsterdam
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $196
- Stay Away
- Great value and truly very comfortable!
- Club Rooms do the job
Burgwallen-Nieuwe Zijde, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $185
- Seemed fine to me
- Underrated and can be good value
- Stay elsewhere
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $85
Zeeburg, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $150
- Still has teething problems
- Very Pleasant
- Not a bad choice..
Buitenveldert-Oost, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $134
- A great choice for my family
- Comfortable and clean - no surprises
- Good Hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $199
- Excellent Hotel, Room, service and Value!
- Stayed 4 times
- Really a 4 star.
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $209
- Good comfort but boring
- Chain Charming
- Request an Apartment Unit
Amsterdam South, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $100
De Pijp, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $239
- Disappointing hotel - not worth 5 stars
- A Very Nice Stay
- Its much better than portrayed
ZuidOost (Business District), Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $140
- A good Business Hotel
- Great service, clean hotel, reasonably priced
- Friendly service
Apollobuurt, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $192
- All the Hilton Perks
- Peace and Quiet
- Everything we expect from Hilton - and more
Amstel, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $106
Amstel, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $96
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $232
- Especially liked the health club!
- Great rate, nice hotel, good location
- The most comfortable bed ever.
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $159
- Our first hotel stay in Amsterdam, it was brilliant!
- Nice hotel but...
- Excellent Location
Sloten en Riekerpolder, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $102
- Not Enough focus on the customers needs
- Nice hotel
- Pleasant room, but all the problems of a new hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $237
- Beautiful, Wonderful Amrath
- Schönes, wundervolles Amrath
- What an experience!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $347
- They treated me like a relative
- Perfect Location - aweful service!
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $210
- We would stay again without a doubt
- Nothing special
- Great Hotel in Good Location!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $140
- Above Average European Hotel
- Not what we expected
- OK, but some problem at the check in time
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $117
- Overrated and Overpriced
- Loved the Eden Hotel
- Ordinary and overpriced
Distelkade 21, (formerly Golden Tulip City North), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $100
Westlandgracht, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $114
Centre, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $143
- Would stay again
- A great stay!
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $154
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City therefore Great Time!
- LOVED IT!!!
- Great hotel
Apollolaan 2, (formerly Le Meridien Apollo), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $220
- Basement Dungeon to Junior Suite
- Good average hotel
- Nice room, mediocre restaurant