Travel Blogs from Amsterdam
... the next train, and arrived with 8 minutes to get the next. So far Belgium have had the worst train services. Never mind though, we got there eventually, had a good munch, and Peter and Joan got longer in bed before meeting us! We arrived at the Mövenpick hotel a little early, but figured we'd chance our room being ready and if not then we'd leave the bags in the luggage room for a couple hours. Turns out this hotel is in a different league to the budget hotels ...
... home near Leyshin and took us to a lake village called Broek in Waterland and then onto the the famous cheese town of Edam. It was totally unexpected and we thank them enormously from taking the time ... it was great.
Then Saturday rolled around and it was time to descend the 17 stairs one last time, be greeted by Mathieu our trusty driver and our trip out to the coastal suburbs and Ijmuiden where our ship was docked.
... family and their famous beers. The first section was a little bit boring. However there were a few quirky things such as a reworked version of "The Night Watch" complete with Heinekens, photo opportunities, a DJ/dance area, an intro into how the beer is made with barley, hops and special ingredient 'Yeast A', an area showing Heineken commercials from all over the ...
... of the day was a visit to Anne Frank's house. We saw her original diary, waked in the original secret rooms behind the movable bookcase doorway, and felt a little of what it must have been like to live this way in what turned out to be a futile attempt to escape the Nazis. Sandy read "The Diary Of Anne Frank" in high school so the visit was especially interesting for her.
After a short nap back at our hotel we ...
... to our rooms. After a restful afternoon we were shown to our room. At 4:30 pm they served afternoon tea. At 6:30 pm we had cocktails with the Captain, then at 7:30 pm it was dinner time. After nearly 3 weeks of eating lightly and walking for hours everyday we sat around all day eating !. The food is excellent as is our lovely room. While we were at dinner they came and tidied up the room and turned down our bed. We can take a lot of this ...
Other places to stay in Amsterdam
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $211
- Stay Away
- Great value and truly very comfortable!
- Club Rooms do the job
Burgwallen-Nieuwe Zijde, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $196
- Seemed fine to me
- Underrated and can be good value
- Stay elsewhere
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $86
Zeeburg, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $208
- Still has teething problems
- Very Pleasant
- Not a bad choice..
Buitenveldert-Oost, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- A great choice for my family
- Comfortable and clean - no surprises
- Good Hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $226
- Excellent Hotel, Room, service and Value!
- Stayed 4 times
- Really a 4 star.
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $247
- Good comfort but boring
- Chain Charming
- Request an Apartment Unit
Amsterdam South, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $119
De Pijp, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $225
- Disappointing hotel - not worth 5 stars
- A Very Nice Stay
- Its much better than portrayed
ZuidOost (Business District), Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $155
- A good Business Hotel
- Great service, clean hotel, reasonably priced
- Friendly service
Apollobuurt, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $212
- All the Hilton Perks
- Peace and Quiet
- Everything we expect from Hilton - and more
Amstel, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $105
Amstel, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $106
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $268
- Especially liked the health club!
- Great rate, nice hotel, good location
- The most comfortable bed ever.
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $167
- Our first hotel stay in Amsterdam, it was brilliant!
- Nice hotel but...
- Excellent Location
Sloten en Riekerpolder, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $107
- Not Enough focus on the customers needs
- Nice hotel
- Pleasant room, but all the problems of a new hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $236
- Beautiful, Wonderful Amrath
- Schönes, wundervolles Amrath
- What an experience!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $333
- They treated me like a relative
- Perfect Location - aweful service!
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $235
- We would stay again without a doubt
- Nothing special
- Great Hotel in Good Location!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $172
- Above Average European Hotel
- Not what we expected
- OK, but some problem at the check in time
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $154
- Overrated and Overpriced
- Loved the Eden Hotel
- Ordinary and overpriced
Distelkade 21, (formerly Golden Tulip City North), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $100
Westlandgracht, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $120
Centre, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $176
- Would stay again
- A great stay!
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $177
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City therefore Great Time!
- LOVED IT!!!
- Great hotel
Apollolaan 2, (formerly Le Meridien Apollo), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $220
- Basement Dungeon to Junior Suite
- Good average hotel
- Nice room, mediocre restaurant