Travel Blogs from Amsterdam
... sun isn't up and there aren't any people out yet. It was lovely.
Other noteworthy events that I haven't written about:
-Anne Frank House, so amazing and sad and interesting to see
-The canal ride! So much fun, I drank beer and wine and felt very classy looking at all the canals and houses from the water. I also want to renovate a houseboat and live on it outside of San Francisco.
-The festival that Syd, Hank, Brad and I showed up ...
... We did have the terrifying misfortune of stumbling across De Wallen, Amsterdam’s famous red light district. I wouldn’t call myself a complete prude but I was absolutely stunned to see women with very little clothing on cavorting in red backed windows! I didn’t even remember Pigalle in Paris being that seedy! We certainly made good our escape let me reassure you!
One thing I do really like about Holland is how traditional it ...
... an older crowd. Every bridge we cross, every canal we look down - all the waterways are crowded with festive activity.
Amsterdam (derives its name from "Dam over the River Amstel" - which usage dates back to 1275) is home to more than 100 km of canals. We're staying on the Keizersgracht (Emperor's Canal) Editor's Note: "gracht" means canal. End note. which is one of the 3 main canals - the other 2 being the Prinsengracht (Prince's Canal) and the Herengracht (Lord's ...
... t like that because it meant if we stayed here too long we'd have to do the long drive to Amsterdam all over again, so we moved on. We must have reached the top, because God was sat on the next landing, we must have climbed the stairway to heaven. He told us to drink lots of water and maybe try Starbucks next time. No way, even God was in on product placement these days, surprised he didn't tell us to grab a Coca Cola and buy some Nike trainers as well. Sunday March 22nd Went to ...
... splayed out on the floor with open suitcases. Long story short, rob threw out his work backpack because it wouldn't fit in the suitcase and we checked one bag. We now know how these flights operate.
In short, Amsterdam was great. Rob loved it more than any other trip so far and I have to agree that the city was beautiful. We had the most gorgeous 55 degree weather. All sunshine and no clouds! The canals were beautiful and quite a few times did we bring food out and ...
Other places to stay in Amsterdam
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $211
- Stay Away
- Great value and truly very comfortable!
- Club Rooms do the job
Burgwallen-Nieuwe Zijde, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $196
- Seemed fine to me
- Underrated and can be good value
- Stay elsewhere
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $86
Zeeburg, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $208
- Still has teething problems
- Very Pleasant
- Not a bad choice..
Buitenveldert-Oost, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $139
- A great choice for my family
- Comfortable and clean - no surprises
- Good Hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $226
- Excellent Hotel, Room, service and Value!
- Stayed 4 times
- Really a 4 star.
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $247
- Good comfort but boring
- Chain Charming
- Request an Apartment Unit
Amsterdam South, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $119
De Pijp, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $225
- Disappointing hotel - not worth 5 stars
- A Very Nice Stay
- Its much better than portrayed
ZuidOost (Business District), Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $155
- A good Business Hotel
- Great service, clean hotel, reasonably priced
- Friendly service
Apollobuurt, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $212
- All the Hilton Perks
- Peace and Quiet
- Everything we expect from Hilton - and more
Amstel, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $105
Amstel, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $106
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $268
- Especially liked the health club!
- Great rate, nice hotel, good location
- The most comfortable bed ever.
Centre, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $167
- Our first hotel stay in Amsterdam, it was brilliant!
- Nice hotel but...
- Excellent Location
Sloten en Riekerpolder, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $107
- Not Enough focus on the customers needs
- Nice hotel
- Pleasant room, but all the problems of a new hotel
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $236
- Beautiful, Wonderful Amrath
- Schönes, wundervolles Amrath
- What an experience!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $333
- They treated me like a relative
- Perfect Location - aweful service!
Centre, Amsterdam | 5 star hotelfrom $235
- We would stay again without a doubt
- Nothing special
- Great Hotel in Good Location!
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $172
- Above Average European Hotel
- Not what we expected
- OK, but some problem at the check in time
Canal Belt/Rembrandtplein, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $154
- Overrated and Overpriced
- Loved the Eden Hotel
- Ordinary and overpriced
Distelkade 21, (formerly Golden Tulip City North), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $100
Westlandgracht, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $120
Centre, Amsterdam | 3 star hotelfrom $176
- Would stay again
- A great stay!
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City
Museumplein/Vondelpark, Amsterdam | 4 star hotelfrom $177
- Great Hotel, Great People, Great City therefore Great Time!
- LOVED IT!!!
- Great hotel
Apollolaan 2, (formerly Le Meridien Apollo), Amsterdam | Hotelfrom $220
- Basement Dungeon to Junior Suite
- Good average hotel
- Nice room, mediocre restaurant