Travel Blogs from Athens
... on American pop. We played "Take me back to Constantinople" and Eartha Kitt's version of Uskudar.
Sacred Greek Music:
The last group to present was sacred Greek music. This type of music is not commonly hear in churches, ironically, They use long short syllables that give dimension to the melody and rhythm. This type of music is often used in modern day music. In this type of music they used the lyre and the avlos/divlos as ...
... from Areos to Thissio)
- this street is lined with local artists selling their jewelry
- there are also a few artists set up on Ermou, but the bulk are on Adrianou
Handmade Folk Art and Antiques
Amorgos (Plaka, 3 Kodrou St)
- amazing handmade items sold here that make for excellent gifts (I will come back and give specifics and pics once I've given out the gifts I picked up), let me ...
... on the tour. Unfortunately, by the time we got to this island the weather had changed drastically. There was a lot of lightning and thunder and rain. We walked around a little bit, but eventually decided to give up and sit at a cafe and enjoy some hot chocolate.
My only regret is that I did not get to see the famous white house with blue roofs, but I suppose I will just have to come back some other time. I am quite alright with that I think =)
... we are minutes (by air) from Croatia and yet so clearly in a different country. Clearly different, but ineffable differences, all the same. Perhaps a less welcome but more concrete difference is the influence of the Euro. Croatia is heading in this direction so we assume prices will head northwards as they have done in Greece.
We spend our days in Athens with Rod making morning ...
... way back down.
On our return we picked up a couple of bicycle boxes so that our trusty steeds can be flown back without being damaged. We had a precarious 10 miles to go with the 1.4 meter wide load on the back of Will's bike, and the light starting to fade. We made it back for our final Souvlaki (the amazing Greek version of a pork kebab. It can only be described as an orchestra of flavors!) and returned to the campsite to ...
Other places to stay in Athens
Αθήνα 2, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $118
- Awful Service, Average Hotel
- Great base for Athens
Neos Kosmos, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $130
- Wonderful Hotel - an oasis of calm compared to the heat and chaos of the city
- Very Nice Place
- The most immaculate hotel ever
1, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $123
- Best in Athens
- One word: Superb
????? 1, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $74
- Horrible rooms and breakfast
- Good location, Small clean rooms
- Nice Value
Αθήνα 7, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $76
Αθήνα 2, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $130
- Nice, but......
- AWESOME stay
- Location, location, location
Syntagma Square, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $323
- Rich Opulence Details
- The Absolute Best!
Παλαιού Φαλήρου, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $115
- A Cruise/Conference Hotel
- Big Hotel
- Good Hotel, Nice breakfast and toiletteries
Αθήνα 1, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $159
- This hotel is super, and I know what I talk about
- Greco Imperial OK, No local flavor
- Dissapointed-definetely not a 5 star hotel.
Omonia Square, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $67
- Convenient location next to the Metro
- Want a rooftop pool in Athens?
- Great place to stay
Ζωγράφου, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $119
Ζωγράφου, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $118
Αθήνα 1, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $80
- Enjoyed the stay
- Great Rooftop Pool
- Una maravilla de piscina
Makriyanni, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $104
- 3 blocks from acropolis--great location
- Best Part of this hotel was the bartender, Fotis
- Close to Acropolis, but average hotel
Αθήνα 7, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $91
Kolonaki, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $111
- Would not stay here again
- Oh what a hill...
- Good location in Athens, nice 4/5* hotel
Syntagma Square, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $160
- Enjoyed my stay....
- Quite Impressed! Really Enjoyed Our Stay
- There is no rooftop pool!!
Αθήνα 6, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $46
Omonia Square, Athens | 2 star hotelfrom $48
- Arachnophopbes beware
- Was very pleasantly surprised
- Dorian was good
Omonia Square, Athens | 3 star hotelfrom $48
Syntagma Square, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $86
Omonia Square, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $78
- Terrible Hotel
- The Worst Customer Service EVER!
- No es un cinco estrellas
Αθήνα 1, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $102
Syntagma Square, Athens | 5 star hotelfrom $154
- Excellant hotel
- Great Value and Wonderful Location
- Incredibly Perfect Location - Luxurious & Fun
Αθήνα 1, Athens | 2 star hotelfrom $49
Omonia Square, Athens | 4 star hotelfrom $95
- Loved this Hip Hotel
- Fresh attitude
- Great for the price