Travel Blogs from Morganton
... hindered the line’s construction, but in 1908 the Clinchfield Railroad opened, complete with an engineering marvel: the Clinchfield loops, consisting of 18 tunnels in 13 miles of track built beside and below the present-day Orchard. Four thousand immigrants crowded those slopes to build the bed and tunnels, with many dying in accidents, fights and murders.The railroaders rechristened McKinney Gap as Altapass, or ...
... one mile above sea level and is so tied down with steel ropes wouldn't have a hope of swinging we thought. However we were surprised at the lack of fencing or signage to warn of the huge drops from the rocks. Perhaps we have got used to Australia and New Zealand with the strong influence on health and safety.
There is also wild animal viewing at Grandfather Mountain however the animals are actually fenced in. We did see a brown bear up close though so that was ...
- Met up with Jim and Darlene, who were with us on the Panama Canal cruise my sister and I took last November for lunch. They are staying in Ashville, NC so half way was Spruce Pines. We found a great restaurant for lunch.....Mountain View. It certainly lived up to their name.
- On the way back to Boone, I stopped at Linville Caverns.
- Next adventure was a trip to West Jefferson to go to the Ashe County cheese factory and get some ...
Pulled in around 2:30. Glad not to have another extended trip time anytime soon. We had a wonderful trip. Great friends to travel with, would definitely get the Special Ed Posse together again anytime, just not back to Alaska! Statistics are a bit sketchy, but by my feeble calculations, we did the following:
Air Miles 5008
Rail Miles 283
Bus Miles 543
Car Miles 1700
Ship Miles 1240
- The Green Park Inn, Built in 1882, grand hotel reminds me of the once fabulous Biltmore.
- A different local group or musician plays on the porch each week. The group today is called Handlebar Betty. They sound like a mix of Bluegrass and Mountain ...