Golden Host Resort
How has this hotel rated in the past?
- Continental Breakfast
- Swimming pool
- Free parking
Photos of Golden Host Resort
Historical Traveler Reviews Golden Host Resort Sarasota
This hotel was booked through a broker service my company uses. I arrived late at night to find myself in a very unsafe area. There was a security car roaming the parking lot of this disaster called a Best Western.
To make a long story short, the carpets are filled with mold and filth. The bathrooms were filthy, the room stank and the bed linens were deplorable.
I would rather sleep in my car if faced with the choice of staying here again.
Slept on top of the bed in my clothes till daybreak, checked out and found another hotel for the same rate.
I travel the USA 50 weeks of the year. This is/was, by far, the WORST hotel I have ever seen.
This is a terrible Best Western. I had to stay here because I had the misfortune of needing to be in town when there were three major conventions, and all my first choices were booked solid.
Things started going wrong from the first moment I got there:
1. Poor security: all the rooms have entries that face the street like a Motel 6. I was also made to stand outside of a secured check-in window late at night while my identity was confirmed. At least two-three minutes where my back was exposed to a not-so-hot neighborhood. Clearly, they feel a need for security at night, but not for their guests.
2. Poor customer relations: I booked the hotel and paid $89 dollars, but their posted rate was $65 for walk-ins only. They would NOT adjust my rate, amazingly.
3. Room condition: deplorable. My supposedly non-smoking room stank of smoke, there was mold and disrepair along the baseboards, the carpets were absolutely gross, and the a/c was off, so the floors were slick with condensation.
4. Unsafe conditions: the bathroom has an open heating grill. I shivered in the morning, too scared to turn it on because it was right next to the shower and right over the toilet. Imagine getting a hand stuck in there.
5. "In-room Broadband Internet Access" actually means wireless Internet access, or modem dial-up. No wired broadband access. Front desk has exactly two wireless cards to rent out. When I asked about this, I was told "but it's free." Uh, thanks -- doesn't help if I can't USE it.
6. Unclean bathtub: although the sink and toilet were clean, the bathtub was filthy.
7. Rude staff: except for the person who checked me in, the two people who "helped" me were uniformly rude and unhelpful.
8. Free Breakfast: is a voucher to the restaurant next door, which did not look very clean. I have been to hole-in-the-wall restaurants that look shabby outside and are fine inside, so that might be the case here, but I did not try it (not a breakfast person).
9. On-site Vending: scary. The night I checked in I wanted a snack instead of dinner, and the food they offered was clearly very old. I got a granola bar that was sweating moisture when I opened it, so I threw that out, and a bag of chips that looked/smelled ok but tasted stale. Only soda offered as a drink, no bottled water or juice.
10. Food delivery options: extremely limited, but this seems to be typical of that area of Florida rather than a failing of the hotel.
1. A very nice pool, which appears to be maintained all year round. It was clean and lounges were out while I was there.
2. A good location -- minutes from fast food, just a few more minutes to sit-down dining. Close to major thoroughfares.
3. Relatively clean bedding (except for bed cover) and toiletries replaced daily, whether used or not.
4. Standard hotel perks (like TV, channels, ice) were all satisfactory.
The Wow Effect
I have been traveling on business back & forth to Sarasota. Had stayed at the Best Western Golden Host Resort earlier this year. Did not make any reservations, but drove up to the hotel to see if they have any rooms available (this was this past veteran's day weekend). They have recently added in new carpeting, have done renovations, and must say that now I have a permanent place to stay in Sarasota.
I'm sure it was nice once!
Stayed in six hotels during our visit to Florida; this was by far the worst. The room had a funny smell, the carpets were badly stained and there were a few things not working - room lights, outside lights, ice machine etc. The breakfast was in a dingy room off a diner. The only saving grace was the pool which was lovely and surprisingly well maintained.
We were in Sarasota area & stopped by this hotel, we asked to look into the room before we checked in. The room was with 2 beds and very spacious neat & clean. We did get a good value for our 3 night stay here. Their pool is very beautiful. The front desk staff is very knowledgeable about the area restaurants as well as how to spend time in Sarasota. I will definitely stay here again & recommend them to our friends.
Dreadful is too kind
This is unquestionably the worst Best Western we've ever stayed in. The non-smoking room stank of tobacco, the toilet cistern didn't flush and the tap (faucet) on the bathroom sink could not be adjusted for temperature. The room was not very clean and the carpets were filthy. The staff couldn't care less and were frankly rude.
Don't Stay Here
First off when you drive in it looks ok, and of course they make it sound ok. Our room was gross and smelled horrible. The carpet was stained and filthy I wore shoes the whole time in the room. Will not go back and hope you don't either.
I wish that we were advised of this problem while the guest was in-house, as we had started to refurbish several rooms starting January 1st, 2005. Therefore, we would have had an immediate resolution of the problem. Unfortunately this was not done.
Our highest priority are our guests and their satisfaction is always our goal.
This place is perfectly OK motel in a good location for a good price in Sarasota. It isn't a "resort" though - it looked bigger in the photos I saw on the web. There is a bar in a building out front of the hotel but we didn't go there....
Fun in the sun while having a mai tai at Golden Host's Bahi Hut
This was a wonderful week vacation well spent. The place is very well maintained, with very spacious rooms. I enjoyed every bit of my time at this hotel. Their Bar is a local favorite and serves excellent mai tai's and sneaky teaky's. The hotel has a wonderful pool that is crystal clear and heated to perfection. I am very glad that I stayed there, the staff was very friendly and helpful to the last minute of my stay. The continental breakfast was a definite plus for a person like me on the go.
TripAdvisor Reviews Golden Host Resort Sarasota
Travel Blogs from Sarasota
It's now 7:25am Graham snoozing waiting for alarm to get him out of bed at 8am it's going to be warmer than yesterday so glad the beginning of this trip the weather was amazing but we where on the go so could not relax with it as it has got much colder it has not made my relax time too much fun. We made our way to JC Penny's what a track on three ...
... to visit Jim's brother Bob and his wife, Grace. This was our first time visiting them at their lovely home. We had a fabulous dinner (see the pattern here?) and again an overnight stay.
As we look back, it feels good to have succeeded in visiting all our family members, where ever they were located, over the last year ...
... Other than that all was good! Even the potato vines weren't as bad a previous years.
David, Regan & Skyler stopped by for a brief visit. Good to hug and see them!
RECAP OF THIS SUMMER
We visited 18 states, 2 Canadian Providences and the Yukon Territory for a total of 13,620 miles traveled.
We hiked, kayaked, ...
... the Ringling family)
3. Art gallery
4. Courtyard (full of statues including David)
5. Amazing gardens
6. Miniature circus (an amazing model)
Then we went back and had a swim.
Florida fact: Stay to the footpaths, their ants bite!
... him. The flea market was in a large dirt lot with a shabby barbed wire fence surrounding it. It was sunny, in the mid 80s and there was absolutely no shade. There was about as much worth buying as there was shade. Most of the booths were filled with old DVDs and VHS tapes, an assortmant of knifes, old golf clubs, tattered toys, pots & pans and other useless tchotchkes and knicknacks. The booth’s owners and clientele were far more interesting than ...