Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: True?? - going too far or what?!?!?!
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
Paul
The following was reported on Thai Visa website. Is it true?

The US Department of Homeland Security (and its related Customs and Border control agencies) has confirmed that notebook computers (and any other electronic device capable of storing information in digital or analog form, e.g., phones, PDAs, cameras, iPods, etc.) may be seized, held, and searched from person entering the United States, whether a citizen of the U.S. or not. These devices may be seized without cause and without suspicion of a crime being committed. They may be held for a "reasonable" time by Homeland Security (read days/months here, not hours at the airport) and the data sent for examination to other government agencies and outside contractors. "Reasonable" efforts are to be made to protect confidential business and personal information...but you know that means sh!t...and that data is to be destroyed after an examination is complete...again right!

"They're saying they can rifle through all the information in a traveler's laptop without having a smidgen of evidence that the traveler is breaking the law," said Greg Nojeim, senior counsel at the Center for Democracy and Technology. Notably, he said, the policies "don't establish any criteria for whose computer can be searched."

So welcome to the land of the Free and home of the Brave...NOT!

Here is the full story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...ml?hpid=topnews
laorfamily
Yes, it's true and disgraceful. The administration passed this law the way they did all the other laws - in the middle of the night when nobody noticed. They wrote it in such a vague way which a basically lets them do whatever they want.

By the way, I've never heard of this law actually being enforced.

Another disgrace to Mr. History-will-prove-me-right!
starlagurl
QUOTE(croydon @ Aug 3 2008, 07:24 AM) *

Dude they have been screwing us for 8 yrs. now and no one has the balls to oppose them. I sometimes think I am living in a third world country with the politics and the cowardly press not reporting the truth. It is the press not the current admin. that peeves me off. You expect that crap from a Texan but the crappy media that exist who only seem to be reporting sleeze is responsible for the mess we are in. The editors should be castrated and fired, They have no balls anyway so they won't miss 'em. If the press did their jobs and kept the public informed with truthful, educated reports, the public would be better informed and maybe their ignorance would mitigated.

I'm confused. What are you angry at exactly? The press for not reporting this story in the U.S.?
skylab
This is true. It's normally a hassle for international trips.
My advise is to have EVERYTHING charged before you enter or leave the US. You will be screwed if they want to take a look at your camera of what pictures you took but your battery is dead. They are then allowed to take it away and research it further which could take forever.

Normally the airlines is pretty kind as long as you dont come off to them nasty. Just be honest with what you have and don't instigate.
kitkatgo
I tried clicking on the original link to find out more, but it didn't work.

I admit ignorance on this issue. I was not aware of this law. I have traveled many times internationally and have never had my iPod, camera, Lingo, my husband's laptop or anything else even looked at.

I HAVE had my bags searched, I've been wanded, and that sort of crap, but never anything to do with my electronics.

How often are these electronic "searches" being perforned?
skylab
QUOTE(kitkatgo @ Sep 30 2008, 01:41 PM) *

I tried clicking on the original link to find out more, but it didn't work.

I admit ignorance on this issue. I was not aware of this law. I have traveled many times internationally and have never had my iPod, camera, Lingo, my husband's laptop or anything else even looked at.

I HAVE had my bags searched, I've been wanded, and that sort of crap, but never anything to do with my electronics.

How often are these electronic "searches" being perforned?

I really do think it's based on a persons personality when being searched.
There was a recent story that I can't find that someones Mac AIR got taken away because the guards couldn't understand where the harddrive was. The guy tried to explain to them the slimness of the air but I guess he might have been acting a little rough on them.

Another story... Someone was wearing a optimus prime tshirt from Transformers. It had the characeter transformed. Well security didn't like it (i guess the guns?) and they told him to take off the shirt or turn it around.
kitkatgo
So are you saying it's all part of the "profiling" they do? And I assume this is happening when people are ENTERING the US from other countries (going through customs)? If that's the case, I've never had problems of any kind coming IN, not that I recall any way. I don't remember seeing anyone have this issue either. Not saying it doesn't happen...

The only thing I have ever seen of interest is a sniffing dog go through the customs line and people had to hand over their fruit.

Just trying to sort it all out... blink.gif
laorfamily
QUOTE(skylab @ Sep 30 2008, 02:40 PM) *

I really do think it's based on a persons personality when being searched.

It has more to do with the attitude of the TSA agents whose primary job is to keep the "sheep" scared as much as possible.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-rosenbl...a_b_113374.html
mynetdude
LOL the news article posted here sounds rediculous; I wouldn't go to say that its unrue because I've heard so much about TSA.

Granted, if you can't prove that your laptop/camera has what you say it has on it then what do you expect them to do? Wait for you to charge it while you stay inside the customs holding area? They aren't going to take that risk so they take it from you, now TBH I don't think its right but it makes sense now as far as them going to wipe your data that is just wrong are they going to compensate you for the loss of your work, data, electronics? Nope.. they aren't.

As for the T-shirt with otimus prime on it... now that is just silly for TSA to be telling someone how/what they should be wearing... that isn't part of the security precaution or something they need to bother worrying about I'd be more worried if the guy HAD a gun or had some kind of intention of using one later on after clearing customs and mind you, just because he is wearing some freaking transformer TShirt doesn't mean squat!

Scaring sheep? That may be true, I think TSA is just doing one hellva job making our country so embarrassingly stupid and a joke as they keep up their silly games I forsee international avoidance tongue.gif.

I have a device that I can use with my hearing aids to help me hear better at confrences and such... TSA will never let it through because they'll never understand how/what it does I've gotten tired of trying to get it through airport security because its just impossible to explain to them yet even though I explain to them what it is and what it does they aren't convinced... and I finally ended up shipping it ahead of me a few times now I don't use it all I leave it at home.
ScottWoz
You've just summed it up in one. How pathetic..
skylab
Instead of making a new thread.. I decided to post in this one. Copy and Pasting. This took place in newark, NJ

http://gizmodo.com/5062913/tsa-airport-scr...ts-away-with-it

Transportation Security Administration baggage screener Pythias Brown is the reason you hate flying with expensive gear in your bag, especially if you ever flew out of Newark airport. Over the last few years, he stole at least $200,000 worth of electronics. Not just a camcorder here, a laptop there, or an Xbox 360 or two, either. No, this guy had balls. Among his biggest hauls—literally—was an HBO employee's $47,900 camera. And the TSA was totally clueless about it. He was finally caught after CNN found a camera he had stolen from them up for sale on eBay.

When the USPS and local police tracked him down and raided his place, they found they found 66 cameras, 31 laptops, jewelry, camera lenses, GPS devices and more. So yeah, how does a TSA screener systematically walk out of the airport with more gadgets than Best Buy—hell, with some gear you can't even buy there—without a single agent ever noticing? I guess if you ever check anything actually valuable, you might want avoid Newark (not that there aren't a million more reasons to avoid Newark).
wakingdream
Holy not surprising in the least.

My advise is to have EVERYTHING charged before you enter or leave the US. You will be screwed if they want to take a look at your camera of what pictures you took but your battery is dead. They are then allowed to take it away and research it further which could take forever.

Wow, this is so simple but such good advice. You might not necessarily think of it, it's worth it just incase. You never know....plus, it's no skin off your back anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.