Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Top five things to do in Prague
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Czech Republic
starlagurl
The Venere travel blog has a list of the top five things to do if you happen to find yourself in Prague.

I never have, but it looks great:

http://www.venere.com/blog/prague-things-to-do/
starlagurl
Oh god...
kitkatgo
In the article, his #5 is the Local Pub. But he didn't mention that part of it should be DRINKING the Czech beer (and other Czech specialities).

Pilsner was invented in Czech and their beers are great. (Budweiser is a descendent of Budvar, the original pilsner). There are quite a few local Czech beers to choose from. Our favorite is Pilsner Urquell. That's what we buy here to drink at home. smile.gif

Another Czech find is Becherovka, a pretty potent liqueur made from 34 herbs (or something like that). It's good stuff too though.

I also tried "grog" from a street vendor. It was disgusting and I threw it out.

I didn't try it, but you can buy absinthe in Czech.

drinks_wine.gif
findingnine
Ah, it always comes to drinking. That makes the top 5 anywhere it seems!
zik
QUOTE(kitkatgo @ May 30 2008, 12:18 PM) *

I didn't try it, but you can buy absinthe in Czech.

Yes, you can. But you can buy Stroh, too. It's Austrian rum (Czechs don't make absinthe, so I can speak about Austrian drink smile.gif ). There is 80 % of alcohol.
inasia2008
Hmm, well I been over the bridge, just not at dawn, I did it at nighttime though and it was still pretty cool, and drunk the wine! I also invested in a gorgeous leather handbag, which is still in perfect condition and rode the tram like a local! And went to a classical music concert, I felt very "artsy"!!!!!!
rbisset
I prefered Budvar to the other beers, probably the most widespread beer in Prague. It was the main beer on tap in every pub and dirt cheap.

I went in February and froze my arse off! Going anywhere was a chore so I spent a lot of time in restaurants and pubs smile.gif Their local food was perfect for the time of year! There were also very few tourists so it was perfect, would be hell in summer.
wakingdream
QUOTE(findingnine @ May 30 2008, 05:20 PM) *

Ah, it always comes to drinking. That makes the top 5 anywhere it seems!

"Course it does! Prague seems like a great place to go and sample a few brews and take a look-see around.
belvilla
Bookworld and Springtime Music Festival

Design Apartment
Praha
CZ Republic
4*, sleeps 6, 809 per week
Code: CZ-13000-04

Bookworld (14th 17th May) and Prague Springtime Music Festival (12th May 3rd June)
The Design Apartment (100m) located in The Art Residence, a historic 19th century building in the centre of Prague is a spacious, bright apartment with a Jacuzzi situated on the ground floor. The rear rooms overlook the garden and the front rooms look onto a beautiful historic building. The surrounding area features authentic Czech restaurants, pubs, shops and major attractions including Vitkov hill, the avant-garde TV Tower and the Jewish cemetery. The immense and charming Riegrovy sady Park is just around the corner offering you a breathtaking view of the Prague Castle and the Old Town rooftops. What better a site from which to indulge yourself in the annual Bookworld literary festival or the Springtime Music Festival?

Founded in 1995 and held at the Prague Exhibition Grounds, Bookworld is a literary festival (14th-17th May 2009) that gives the movers and shakers of the Czech literary scene a chance to meet foreign writers and discuss current trends in poetry and fiction. At BookWorld, you could bump into Milan Kundera or Vaclav Havel, as well as dozens of friendly, aspiring writers only too keen to tell you about their latest work. More than 600 exhibitors from 26 countries and 20,000 keen readers visit throughout the duration of BookWorld. From the 12th May 3rd June 2009 the Prague
Springtime Music Festival also runs, bringing the world's best orchestras to Prague's State Opera House. Honouring Bedrich Smetana, father of Czech music, it opens on the anniversary of his death with a traditional performance of his orchestral cycle, My Country.
http://www.belvilla.co.uk/detail.php?fh_lo...amp;fh_season=z
mimiama
QUOTE(insureplc @ Oct 7 2009, 10:11 AM) *

Wenceslas and Old Town Squares are both worth visiting!! Especially at Christmas time!!

PS - Word of warming...wrap up warm!!!!

Travel Insurance – Insureplc.com

Definitely, but be prepared for many many people everywhere :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.