Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Yellowstone Park in the Spring
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
youngbear
As I sit here in Yellowstone watching the snow fall, I'm pondering why more people don't visit in May. Is it the weather? Is it available time? Bison are calving...a wonderful experience to see new borns begin their life-journeys. Ospreys are appearing again...blue birds have been back for a few weeks. This is a grand time for wildlife viewing. Yet spring visits are on the decline and fall gets stronger. Any ideas out there? As an fyi, I'm the marketing guy for Yellowstone National Park Lodges. My goal is to provide amazing experiences for visitors, so they'll become advocates for and stewards of the park in the future. Spring offers amazing experiences, yet most visitors wait until summer or fall to come. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
starlagurl
Yep, I think it's the weather... May is not typical "camping season". I've been camping lots in May in Canada and it's beautiful, but you know the stereotype of camping in June, July and August right?
findingnine
Get me another beer and tell me all about it
starlagurl
*throws you a Steamwhistle and opener*

Uh...it's just what people do, they go camping in the summer, not in May. Park their RVs, then set a fire and roast hot dogs and marshmallows.
niki72
QUOTE(youngbear @ Apr 24 2008, 12:14 PM) *

As an fyi, I'm the marketing guy for Yellowstone National Park Lodges. My goal is to provide amazing experiences for visitors, so they'll become advocates for and stewards of the park in the future.

Hi,
You seem like the perfect person in the perfect place to give me some traveling advice. I am planning to come to the States this fall (end of October - beginning of November) We plan to rent an RV and visit some of the major National and State parks in the West of the US. We will be flying to Seattle (from Belgium, via London) and our return flight is out of Los Angeles. We could make it to Yellowstone around the 25th of October. What kind of weather should we be expecting? Is there a high probability of snow? Would it be better to rent an SUV in stead of an RV? Will parts of the park be closed?
Thanks in advance for your advice. And maybe we'll see each other in Yellowstone in October ...
kitkatgo
I went pseudo-camping in Yosemite in May (slept in a tent cabin)...froze my butt off. brr.gif That's why people don't camp in May. wink.gif

I've never been to Yellowstone (hope to someday), but here is a link that can maybe answer some questions:

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Hope that helps!
northwestcamper
hi: was in yellowstone in late may until last week of june last year and it was great.
cool weather could be problem, also must of the events in yellowstone do not begin
until mid june ( outdoor cookout, opening of fishing season, ) etc.
i believe must people who go camping ( tent/rving) bring there kids and want things to do.
like you said wildlife are out in late may and june but families want more.
mynetdude
Are there any enclosed cabins, log cabins whatever and Yurts available in Yellowstone N. Park? I have a Golden Access Pass (yes I know they changed the name to America Beautiful... soemthing rather) so I can get in free and camping fees are reduced like 50%

I'm not really interested in the cookouts and all that, I do want to see what Yellowstone has to offer though and I wouldn't do this in the winter so May is perfect... I can escape the HEAT! AGH! And well, if I hit it off starting in January down in the SE I just might get to Yellowstone, if not next year.
bakasyonista
We plan to visit Yellowstone National Park in August next year. We will be visiting other states too like Utah, Montana and South Dakota.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.