Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Nags Head vs. Fort Myers, what are your favorite cafes?
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
beardsley
I am torn between driving from DC to Nags Head or flying to Fort Myers for a short getaway, and the food is probably going to decide the issue. Any good seafood places that you can think of would be greatly appreciated! I used to LOVE the old cinder block shack Tortugas' Lie outside Nags Head, tho I hear it is not quite as good as it used to be, anything like that would be a welcome tip!
Thanks!
starlagurl
Personally, I think you should drive to save the fossil fuels...

Before I go anywhere, I always check the top restaurants on tripadvisor. So here are the restaurants in Nags Head: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g49...h_Carolina.html

And here are the restaurants in Fort Myers: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34...rs_Florida.html
beardsley
Thanks for the reminder, I had used TripAdvisor when I thought I was going to go back to Key Largo and had forgotten to check Nags Head and Fort Myers for my new trip choices. It is good to see my old favorite in Nags Head came in in the top 5, if only just... One of the main reasons I am thinking of going back to Nags Head was the phenomenal seafood I got there 10 years ago. I have a long memory for good food, and I will consider a cold destination over a warm one just because I like a cafe. And the beach is cool too.
Thanks Starlagurl!

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 23 2009, 01:44 PM) *

Personally, I think you should drive to save the fossil fuels...

Before I go anywhere, I always check the top restaurants on tripadvisor. So here are the restaurants in Nags Head: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g49...h_Carolina.html

And here are the restaurants in Fort Myers: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g34...rs_Florida.html

starlagurl
You are welcome. Are you still deciding? It seems you are leaning toward Nags Head...

You should see what our North Carolina Local Expert has to say about it (wisconsin_fan)... Chris are you around?
beardsley
LOL
Yeah, I am still thinking about it. I travel a good bit, shorter distances now than I used to, but I always hit the books and the net and toss ideas around for a few weeks, then make up my mind at the last minute. I am looking at new place that is warmer, snorkeling type weather, w/Appalachicola oysters and a new seafood area, vs. a place I know fairly well, that is not swimming warm, with an all time favorite cafe that I have't been to in 10 years and fun locals type pubs at this time of year.

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 23 2009, 02:38 PM) *

You are welcome. Are you still deciding? It seems you are leaning toward Nags Head...

You should see what our North Carolina Local Expert has to say about it (wisconsin_fan)... Chris are you around?

starlagurl
Well it's nice to have you around anyhow! Even though the last time you were here was three years ago!!!
beardsley
Thanks! I used to do a RTW every 2 or 3 years, but business has been slow since 2005 so I have only done a couple medium length trips to Thailand, England and Florida lately. I miss my traveling days, a lot! After being home for a year or so, it doesn't feel like I have as much to share on a travel site.

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 23 2009, 02:52 PM) *

Well it's nice to have you around anyhow! Even though the last time you were here was three years ago!!!

starlagurl
Ahhh of course you do! I'm sure you've got great advice.
rksue
I would go to Nag Head. Of Course Ft. Myers does have some good restaurants. We just came back from the Lighthouse Rest. on McGregor, as if headed to Sanibel Island. The food was outstanding.

There is a great restaurant, about 12.00 for lunch called the Sunshine Seafood Cafe, I think it off of Winkler. Its in a little strip Mall across from Sweat Bay. They have great wine and food. Never would know it to look at where they are located. The atmosphere is fantastic, the service is outstanding and the food is always fresh.
wisconsin_fan81
Sorry I have been so reclusive, school and work take up most of my time.....Nags Head tends to be a bit more popular of a tourist destination, which can obviously have it's good points and bad points. To be honest, I am not very versed in either location- too rich for my blood-but I can get you any and all info you need on these places, I have friends who travel extensively to both. Just let me know whatever you need, I promise to be on more frequently!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.