Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Branding the USA
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
laorfamily
There was an interesting thread started by introducinlyric which was sidetracked into countries branding themselves.

I read this article (http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?...w_post&f=41) about the USA branding itself, I guess I never thought about it but the US doesn't spend any "real" money promoting tourism.

Do you think it's a mistake?
Does the US need to promote itself or "they" will come anyway?

I, for one, would like to see the US tell the world that we are not only Disney and NY but that some of the most amazing natural scenery is here as well.

And a smile at the airport won't hurt anyone working there either...
jeremystravels
I think there is a huge issue with promoting general tourism with the country being so large and the sites being so far away from each other. There is also the headache of getting visas that most have to endure. Once some of that is addressed I think we can be better marketed for being a tourism spot.
laorfamily
Jeremy - I don't think the distance could be addressed smile.gif

Yes, there are huge issues with visas to the USA due to many people overstaying their welcome and laws not being enforced.
jeremystravels
I think a moderately connected rail system would help - even though it would take quite some time to get anywhere though. Maybe as an engineer I should get to developing that teleporter I've been dreaming about.
mmbcross
The United States is one of the few countries in the world that doesn't have a budget for tourism promotion. It is considered the responsibility of the individual states, Florida, New York, California, etc. to promote the country. The US presence at international trade shows such as WTM and ITB is covered by TIA (Travel Industry Association of America), a private concern. TIA will also operate the first "official" US travel website.

Indeed, one of the problems of visiting the USA is getting a visa. Currently just 27 countries are exempt for requiring a visa, the so called visa waiver countries:
Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom.

If you are not fortunate enough to live in one of these countries, you will have to pay US$313.00 for a visa, visit the nearest US Embassy for a grilling interview, there being no refund if the visa is not approved.
mmbcross
Sorry...that's US$ 131.00 for the visa, not US$ 313.00.
jeremystravels
I was going to say... If it was $313 I would be dead in reciprocity fees on my trip next year. crying_anim02.gif
skylab
The visa laws NEEDS to change. And as someone else said.. It´s their way of answering the issue of people overstaying. But there MUST be another solution to that. The US is quite popular for work (or use to be rather) so I can understand their concern.

The train system is unbelievable stupid. You can find budget flights every now and then to get one place to another thats far but what about everything inbetween thats just too short for a plane ride? Then comes Greyhound.. If you´ve taken Greyhound in the states, you already know why we need another company. We have a few options like Megabus etc but its extremely limited.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.