Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: So yer Canadian, EH?
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Canada
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
whereshegoes
Canada is well known for things like Niagara Falls, maple syrup and hockey. But there are several things that are also signature Canadian items. What are some things can originate or can only be found in Canada?
Incrediblelife
Apparently Canada is also known for salmon and maple everything! huh.gif
whereshegoes
QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 1 2006, 10:15 AM) *

Apparently Canada is also known for salmon and maple everything! huh.gif

drool.gif Maple syrup, maple muffins, maple ham, maple syrup pie, maple donuts, maple fudge, maple wine, maple baked beans, maple sugar candy, maple salmon, maple butter, maple tea and coffee, maple pudding, maple liquor, maple BBQ sauce, maple carmella.... whistle.png
siscri
Without giving anyone a big head, I have to admit that Canadians are generally my favourite people I meet when traveling. I mentioned it a few times in my travelogue...I've yet to meet a Canadian I didn't like immensely. Swedish and Danish are also generally great.

There's also plenty of Canadian girls I've met who I'd like to see maple-ised.

[But enough with the maple leaf all over your backpacks...we get it...you're not American.]
kris
when i was younger i used to relate to canada through a tv show called 'due south' ..so all i know is you have mounties - "they always get their man"
and further North you have Iglos, Polar bears and seal hunting!
Incrediblelife
Yeah, well the igloos and polar bears are MUCH further north! We don't live in igloos here, and seals don't get in the way of our dog sleds on our way to work... hairy.png

It's amazing how many people think we ALL live in igloos and that dog sleds really are what we all drive. I've actually had people be surprised that we drive cars here.

And no, I don't know Bob in Toronto either.... (all you Canadians out there will get that! hee hee)
uncle_davros
WHat I have always found strange is the people who are from the country French Canadia. Can someone tell me where it is. I meet all these people who are French Canadian, but I have never seen the country on the map
Incrediblelife
hmm.. how do you even begin to describe it? Most of the French in Canada are from the province of Quebec... it is still part of Canada. However, many of them would like to see Quebec as being separate from the rest of Canada. I wish I could say more about it, but I admit that I really don't follow politics blush.gif so I don't know the details well enough to share them.

Canada is a bilingual country, which means that all packaging and such has both English and French -which is where many actually learn their French wink.gif And of course our airlines have to say everything in both languages, as some of you may have noticed while in Canada. If you go to Quebec though, in some places it will be tough to actually find English speakers.

Carm - anything to add?
uncle_davros
There are many dialects of Spanish in Spain, plus there is another language called Basque. The Basque people are similar to the French Canadians. I meet them, ask them where they come from, and they say Basque. I ask where in Europe that is, and basically, they say a place, that happens to be in Spain. I ask if this is in Spain, and they say yes !!! It is just me being pedantic. I know one day I will upset the wrong person, but such is life. Until that day, I will always ask, where is French Canadia !!!
whereshegoes
Only a true Canuck would let you use toque, mukluk and pemmican in a game of scrabble.

Use it in a sentence you say? Ha! I will use all THREE!

"When he saw that the hockey game would go into overtime, Joe stepped into his mukluks and pulled on his toque brr.gif on his way to the shed to grab another batch of pemmican to munch on."

BTW, "canuck" is defined in Websters as: A Canadian, especially a French Canadian.

I thought that was funny. How to measure ones' "canuckness"? Let me count the ways...
whereshegoes
QUOTE(Incrediblelife @ Aug 1 2006, 12:24 PM) *

hmm.. how do you even begin to describe it? Most of the French in Canada are from the province of Quebec... it is still part of Canada. However, many of them would like to see Quebec as being separate from the rest of Canada. I wish I could say more about it, but I admit that I really don't follow politics blush.gif so I don't know the details well enough to share them.

Since you asked: The 1995 Quebec referendum put to public vote the political roles of Quebec and Canada, whether Quebec should secede from Canada and become an independent state.

The referendum took place in Quebec on October 30, 1995, and the motion to pursue Quebec's independence was defeated by an extremely small margin, 50.58% "No" to 49.42% "Yes".

Quebec Referendum Info

Quebec speaks mostly French (québécois) but understand English though, like Parisians, many are reluctant so as to force you to practice speaking their language. You will find that the number of Western Canadians that speak French is MUCH lower than those in the East. Quebecers are a very proud and culture driven making a trip to Montreal quite an experience. I would highly recommend it as they are just one more reason Canada has so many distinct flavors.
uncle_davros
So, at the end of the day, what you are saying is that be it English or French speaker, you are all Canadians.

I have always wanted to meet a Canadian who said, "Hi, I'm English Canadian"
whereshegoes
Well, where else would you find a Carmelized maple-ite? We are a rare breed alien.png
uncle_davros
A couple of weekends ago, we went to see some WW1 graveyards in the Somme and Flanders Fields of Belgium. All the countries that were represented had great sites, and as I walked through the Canadian ones, I saw people with English type names, and I also saw some French style ones, but they were all buried under the one flag, which is the Canadian flag. The did not go to war to fight for French Canada or English Canada, they went for Canada, to help out the Commonwealth.
Guest_MizLiz_*
QUOTE(uncle_davros @ Aug 1 2006, 02:29 PM) *

A couple of weekends ago, we went to see some WW1 graveyards in the Somme and Flanders Fields of Belgium. All the countries that were represented had great sites, and as I walked through the Canadian ones, I saw people with English type names, and I also saw some French style ones, but they were all buried under the one flag, which is the Canadian flag. The did not go to war to fight for French Canada or English Canada, they went for Canada, to help out the Commonwealth.

French Canada and English Canada are both part of Canada, but the French want to be distinguished as a distinct society here. So far the government has not given this to them, preferring that we all consider ourselves as Canadians.

That is why when you meet people from Quebec, they will tell you they are French Canadians, but most of the rest of us are simply Canadian. I would never even think of introducing myself as an English Canadian.

sorcerer.png
uncle_davros
Personally, I think that when an English Canadian meets a French Canadian on the road, they should say that they are an English Canadian just to mess with their heads
Guest_MizLiz_*
That is kinda mean, ya know. Only the French Canadians want to be known as FRENCH Canadians and their accents wouldn't fool anyone by saying they are English Canadians.
uncle_davros
Well, I tell the people from Canada who can't speak English very well, because oviously they didn't go to school, that I am an Australian Australia
Jim
So why can't we say we are JUST CANADIAN . period.

SpookyJ
uncle_davros
Because Jim, there are a group who refuse to say that they are Canadain. They have to say that they are French Canadian, even though there is no country called French Canadia. So until that day, I am an Australian Australian. Period
siscri
Or a British Australian?
Jim
Or Canadian Canadian .
uncle_davros
Or a British Australian

What is this ??? Is this like some one from the island called Ireland who calls themselves British ???

Or Canadian Canadian

But Jim, can you, magically see the Chanucks, and I do mean Chanucks say that they are Canadian ??? Realistically, I can't.
siscri
QUOTE(uncle_davros @ Aug 11 2006, 06:00 PM) *

What is this ??? Is this like some one from the island called Ireland who calls themselves British ???

I just thought since you guys still have the Union Jack on your flag then there must be a lot of Ozzies who still feel a strong bond with the motherland. Thought maybe you'd like to be called a British Australian? Or maybe not...
uncle_davros
Funny old thing that, the flag. Some people want it to remain, while others would like the Aborigine version. I on the other hand, think, remove the British part, and have the Southern Cross. We are all different.

I would never call myself a British/Australian, even though I have a British passport, as I am a first generation Australian. The majority of people I grew up with were first generation Australians. Proud of our heritage but we are Australians. Recently, whilst travelling, I met some younger first generations and they would call themselves Turkish/Australian or Lebanese/Australian. I found that weird, because I believe, where we are born, is what we are. Surely you have run into this when you have been in the States, all the "Irish" who come running up to you !!! I was with a Dubliner in Iran, and he said he got sick of hearing, "I'm Irish 12 generations removed !!!" Then agin, whilst in Namibia, getting pissed with an Irishman from the North, and one from the South, when asked where they were from, the Southener said, "We are all Irish", the Northener was not impressed !!! Oh well, we all can't be perfect

So, I will stand by what I said in previous posts, when a French speaking Canadian states that he is French canadian, I will introduce myself as an Australian/Australian
Jessica_CDN
Ah - how did I miss this thread?

You can't forget the "french" Canadians from Saskatchewan and New Brunswick! Now THOSE accents will mess with your head!! Saskatchewan in particular - one thinks of it as being so anglophone, and then you meant a francophone from Saskatchewan....it'll throw you off, I tell ya! Especially if they're speaking French and you can't quite place the accent.

Yeah - everyone looks at me funny when I don't self-identify as a different "type" of Canadian - as in what is your heritage? Well, I don't know! My family has been here as long as we have records.....although most of my friends self-identify as "German Canadian" or "Lebanese Canadian".....even if they're third or fourth generation Canadian!
Guest_MizLiz_*
One thing about those French Canadian women--they know how to dress.

My best friend was born into a large French Canadian family in Saskatchewan. She's a petite, very feminine and flirty redhead who speaks both languages flawlessly without any accent.

I've never seen her looking like anything less than well dressed, even in a pair of jeans and a shirt, because she has a flair about her and carries herself so well.

Actually, there are times I hate her! devil.png
uncle_davros
I've never seen her looking like anything less than well dressed, even in a pair of jeans and a shirt, because she has a flair about her and carries herself so well.

Actually, there are times I hate her!

Jealousy will get you know where!!!
Guest_itsem_*
where else is there such an obsession with Bacon? An example.. I went to buy some dip the other week, we have Onion and Bacon, Tomato and Bacon, Ranch and Bacon, Bacon, Bacon and Bacon..
siscri
Errrm...OK.
ScottWoz
What?!
siscri
Hey, someone deleted the post I replied to. I wasn't actually replying to the bacon post (which seems very reasonable to me). There was some weirdo on talking about some crazy stuff. He claimed he was a Canuck, but I find that hard to believe 'cos he seemed like a dick to me.
ScottWoz
..which will explain the deletion (though not personally responsible for it I might add!) My reply was about the bacon..
Jessica_CDN
Gotta agree with the moderator on that one! haha. read the post, totally out of line. smile.gif

But the bacon thing...yeah - not quite sure what's up with that. And we're adding new types of bacon all the time - pealmeal bacon (is that what it's called), fancy types of bacon, soy bacon, but it's everywhere!

I'm just surprised that Tim Horton's doesn't have a bacon ranch bagel or something. Wait, maybe there's bacon in their "everything" bagel. haha. huh.gif
Incrediblelife
Hey guys -

Sorry, that was me that deleted... it was completely disgusting and outta line... so it went... and to mention a name of a person he obviously has an issue with... tacky. He did the same thing in a few other forums too. Sorry I deleted your response... but the gross stuff was being quoted. Crazy people! wacko.gif

Jess - haha stop it - you're making me hungry!!!
siscri
Totally understandable. I just didn't want anyone to think I had a problem with bacon, because I honestly don't. I believe in equality between meats. I'd even go as far as to say bacon is one of my favourite foods, not that there's anything wrong with other meats. I have a dream that we can all live in a world where we treat all meats equally, and there are no vegetarians because I hate cooking for them.
Incrediblelife
see, because of all this bacon talk, I now have to go get a bagel with egg, bacon and cheese... it's all your fault, thanks a lot. drool.gif
siscri
Egg, Bacon and Cheese is possibly the greatest food combination there is. Sometimes I'd put a bit of BBQ sauce on it.

But what are you doing lashing them in a bagel? Surely a roll would be better? Or even just some white bread?

I'm so hungry now, but having a BBQ later so going to wait.
Incrediblelife
oh yeah! Yum.. that was SOOOOO good! Now it's just about lunch time, and I'm too full to eat the lunch I brought to work!
uncle_davros
If you are having bacon and eggs, you MUST have the HP SAUCE

Thats one thing the the UK has taught me
ScottWoz
It's taught many uncle D. Many of the bars and restaurants here in NZ place a fresh bottle on each of the tables at breakfast time. We've taught them well. HP has truly become a world class condiment. But regarding the bacon, soft white bread, yes, with crisp bacon and HP, simple. The real crime here is brown bread.
radsolv
Hasn't Bacon been convicted as the #1 Artery colgger?

And isn't a bagel copyrighted Kosher? So how do you dare put bacon on a bagel?

Soy bean imitation bacon chips are not bad --- if you're not a purist. I sprinkle them on a peanut butter and tomato sandwich.
ScottWoz
Interesting combo Rad. When you say 'imitaton bacon' do you mean the sprinkly variety you can use on salads?
Jessica_CDN
Nah - cooking for vegetarians isn't really that tough - just don't put meat in, and sometimes substitute tofu! haha.

Yeah - the bacon and bagel thing made me laugh a bit inside...but it's really good. Although I prefer my breakfast sandwiches on english muffins. And I'm not really down with the HP sauce - but ketchup - and lots of it!
ike.gif
ScottWoz
but ketchup - and lots of it!

Yep. Usually go tommie sauce with the sausage, HP with the bacon (plus cheese if there's any handy). English muffins are definitely the way to go too, and provide the perfect environment for tucking in a soft poached egg amongst the creation.. thumbsup.png
uncle_davros
Bacon in Scandi and Europe is used as tracing paper, if it is not being eaten. It is so thin !!!

Never the red. Always the brown. Thats what the English say.

Don't agree with the cheese. Only egg and it has to be brown bread. Lucinate states that you only have white when you have a chip buttie, and as she is a POM, I will not argue with her on thaty. But then again, for a POM, she has spent to long outside of the country to understand the brown sauce
ScottWoz
The real crime here is brown bread.

Please no. Not for bacon. Please. Put anything on it. ANYTHING. But not bacon!
Jessica_CDN
Yup Scott, you've got it right - now I"m starving!!!

I'm just a huge fan of the breakfast sandwich in general. Not from McDonald's tho - that's just nasty. Always made fresh - yummmmmm.
ScottWoz
Yep, you've got me going now too. Breakfast sandwiches in general are a monstrous feed and very well received following a heavy night. Having devoured many, the best I found, literally, was called the B.E.S.T (bacon, egg, sausage and tomato). Usually found built into a triple decker (top half saus & tom, bottom half bacon & egg), the best BEST was always found in the unlikeliest of places, typically the scummiest industrial areas of working class Britain. Bootiful!
uncle_davros
You forgot the BROWN SAUCE

And you call yourself English !!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.