Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 motorcycle roadtrip
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
starlagurl
I want to do a big tour of the US on my motorcycle next summer.

Hopefully, I'll be starting in Seattle, and then going south. If not, I'll leave from Ottawa, drive all the way west and then south to California.

Do you have any suggestions of places to stop along the way?
greekcypriot
What about this summer Louise!!
Or is it a surprise?
I wish I could help....I have heard that Seattle is fantastic.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/greekcypriot
starlagurl
This summer, I don't have much on the books. A short trip out to Halifax in August, that's about it.
big_red_truck
You're still planning on riding out to Vermont and NH later this month right?
starlagurl
Yeah, I posted a little thread about it here: http://www.travelpod.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17152
shangguan
I didn't know you had a bike. That's awesome. I miss my Harley's! I have an old army motorcycle here in China. It is a monster. It was built in 1970 and is a copy of the old Russian army bikes. I miss road trips. when I lived in the States and had a week off I would hop on and drive for three days and then turn around and go back. After all it's not the destination, but the ride. Ihope you have a great trip!
starlagurl
Yeah... my bike is broken at the moment. I kind of wrote this season off... I did one trip to Chicago and it broke on the way back. My mechanic friend is just fixing it right now. *sigh*

Yours sounds really cool! Do you have a picture?
shangguan
I don't have any photos of it. I should take some. It is a monster and ugly as heck.
starlagurl
I would LOVE to see it.
big_red_truck
Show and tell
IPB Image
starlagurl
Yes, we know your motorcycle is awesome, Bill tongue.gif
travelmonster
I've never been on a motorcycle, I want to go on the back of one frantics.gif
starlagurl
If mine is back on the road when you get here, you know you are going on the back of it Paula!
shangguan
You still haven't said what kind of motorcycle you have Louise. I'm curious!
big_red_truck
QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 24 2009, 11:46 AM) *

Yes, we know your motorcycle is awesome, Bill tongue.gif

Yep...she is, now show us a picture of yours....preferably from a good ride you've taken!!
starlagurl
You know what, I don't have any pictures of my bike on any rides... I just have this one from when it was "newish", it's a Suzuki Marauder, very girly.

IPB Image
shangguan
It is a very pretty bike. What was wrong with it?
starlagurl
It is leaking oil from somewhere... I haven't figured it out yet, my friend is looking into it, slowly...
shangguan
It's great when you have a friend to help you with such things, but it usually ends up taking more time than it is worth. Sadly I'm one of those people more oftenthan I would like to admit.
starlagurl
You're one of what people? The helper, or the waiter?

I don't mind waiting, I've totally given up on the motorbike. It would cost $1,600 to fix it at a real mechanic, so I don't care how long it will take him to fix it later.
shangguan
Sadly, the helper. whistle3.gif
big_red_truck
If you could get the motorcycle to me, I could give you a hand...but that would probably be more trouble than its worth.
starlagurl
Being the helper's not bad if you find it fun to fix up motorcycles... I guess.

Bill: Thanks for the offer! Maybe I will bring it to you next summer if it's not fixed by then! *sigh*
travelmonster
QUOTE(starlagurl @ Sep 24 2009, 09:03 PM) *

If mine is back on the road when you get here, you know you are going on the back of it Paula!

That'll be hilarious!!
kitkatgo
You will most definitely have to stop in Portland, OR! I love it there.

Santa Barbara, CA
Carmel, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
The Redwoods!!!
San Fran, CA
Napa/Sonoma, CA

Just some ideas thrown at ya...
starlagurl
I am now pondering a train trip perhaps with my dad??? He's retired and he LOVES trains.... so... hmm.... We did the same trip across Canada back in 2000... ten years seems like a good time for a reunion.
kitkatgo
You mean instead of going down the Pacific Coast?
starlagurl
Yep... I guess it would go through the mountains? I'm not sure how it works really on that side of the continent.

I just made a new post about it.
greekcypriot
How come you don't get a car Louise!!
It will be warmer in the cold winter climate up there! hyper.gif

And it can get you even further....You can go and meet Martin in Miami probably.
(He said he will be with his spirit with you when you get round in north States) blow.gif

(Check out my today's entry- A stroll in the Old city of Toledo)
starlagurl
Ha... no I don't like cars. I had one before and it was depressing.
greekcypriot
Ok then sweet Louise!
I know how you feel....... it is because you are Sooooo Young! air_kiss.gif

Ask the guys at TravelPod to get you a brand new one! hyper.gif

(Over 4.500 photos in my blogs) Check latest entries. sweat.gif
starlagurl
Ahhh, you don't get it. Cars are evil, I never want to own one.
sianeth
Okay, maybe you should get a rickshaw? biggrin.gif

Donkey?

Milkfloat???!
greekcypriot
Hi Sian,
Don't be naughty!!! hyper.gif So, if anybody offers you a car Louise, you know where to give it. Me and Sian are waiting!

Cars are evil Louise ! blink.gif I thought that sb was more safe in a car than on a motorbike.
But you are an adventurous giril I know. flowers.png

No honestly I believe that if you are young a motocycle ....and like the one you have makes you feel so free and idependent, and you can move much quicker anywhere as well.
The comments above were just to have some chatting up here!

Over 4.500 photos in my blogs with comments and tips
sianeth
sad.gif It would be awesome if Louise toured the US in a milkfloat... it would be like a mini carnival...
travelmonster
Man this thread is funny laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.