Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Travelling from Los Angeles to San Francisco
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A. > California
sayang
My husband and I and our 8 year old son will travel to America in September/October. We are flying to Los Angeles and will fly home from San Francisco. We have approximately 4 weeks for the trip.
We are planning to hire a car and drive to San Francisco. We would welcome any suggestions/recommendations on visiting places of interests, accommodations etc., any interesting route to take?
kathryn77
Cool road trip smile.gif

I'm sure there'll be loads of people on here with tips for you on that journey. I'd love to go to Alcatraz & see the bridge - maybe one day!

Are you going to do Universal Studios etc when you're in LA? Bet your son will love that!
starlagurl
Another question for Kitkatgo. She'll have some suggestions I'm sure.
chrismarshman
Where are visiting from, what would you like to see, what type of activities do you and your family like to do? The reason why I ask is you have 4 weeks to see a lot of California, not only the LA-SF areas. Yes, you have the amusement parks, the cultural sites, and great places to eat. Some are really pricey to see or do, some all you have to do is show up. With 4 weeks, you'll have time to even visit parts of Arizona and Nevada. But if your heart is set on just the LA-SF route that's cool too. Give me some basic ideas and I can suggest places and things to do anywhere along that route, or elsewhere.....

Chris....

QUOTE(sayang @ May 24 2009, 05:49 AM) *

My husband and I and our 8 year old son will travel to America in September/October. We are flying to Los Angeles and will fly home from San Francisco. We have approximately 4 weeks for the trip.
We are planning to hire a car and drive to San Francisco. We would welcome any suggestions/recommendations on visiting places of interests, accommodations etc., any interesting route to take?

sayang
We will be coming from Melbourne (Australia).
We have never been to the States so are very much open to any idea. We definitely will visit Disneyland for our son. And yes, Arizona & Nevada sound interesting too. We plan to drive to San Francisco and are ready to do any detour to visit places of interest. We'd like to visit cultural sites along the way.

QUOTE(chrismarshman @ May 25 2009, 01:18 PM) *

Where are visiting from, what would you like to see, what type of activities do you and your family like to do? The reason why I ask is you have 4 weeks to see a lot of California, not only the LA-SF areas. Yes, you have the amusement parks, the cultural sites, and great places to eat. Some are really pricey to see or do, some all you have to do is show up. With 4 weeks, you'll have time to even visit parts of Arizona and Nevada. But if your heart is set on just the LA-SF route that's cool too. Give me some basic ideas and I can suggest places and things to do anywhere along that route, or elsewhere.....

Chris....

QUOTE(sayang @ May 24 2009, 05:49 AM) *

kitkatgo
Have you looked at the California Starter Kit at the top of the California page? That might give you some ideas.

Some things you might consider:

Yosemite is a not-to-miss spot. The time of year you will be here is a good time to visit. The California missions might also be of interest; they are some of the oldest structures in the state (and are located throughout the state). Santa Barbara is a wonderful city to stay and visit awhile with many things to do and see including a zoo, the beach, one of the best missions, botanical garden, aquarium, etc. Hearst Castle might also be of interest; it is on the Central Coast in San Simeon.

If you let me know some general things of interest, I can help you with some specifics and a route.

Also, you can look at my California blog for some ideas: http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog/kitkatgo/102/tpod.html

polydemic
Spend some time on the Monterey Peninsula.

http://www.globosapiens.net/travel-informa...nterey-239.html

sayang
Hi kitkatgo, thanks for your kind response. The three of us are planning to drive and visit places like Disneyland, San Diego, Las Vegas etc., mostly where people go when visiting the west coast of America I guess, before finally ending in San Francisco, spend possibly 3 days, and then catch our flight back to Australia. We just need to get organised in regard to the route planning, where to go first, locations of hotels/motels in the places we visit. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
kitkatgo
OK, so your first stop should be San Diego then since it is the furthest south. There are a LOT of things to do in SD: beaches, The San Diego Zoo, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Legoland, Sea World, Old Town, San Diego Mission, Seaport Village, Mission Bay, Balboa Park, etc.

In my opinion, the most central area to stay in (since San Diego is very spread out) is in the Mission Valley area if you are going to hit a lot of the varied sites, and there are a lot of hotels in that area.

So you need to decide what attractions you want to see in order to decide how many days/nights you want to stay there.

You could also get the Los Angeles area things done first, then go to San Diego, then pass L.A. as you go up north. Just a matter of preference. Going up the coast is a good idea. It takes more time, but it's very beautiful and worth it.
daveabed
One great family activity in Northern California is gold panning. Jamestown and Sonora are great cities for this, there are gold panning lessons and train rides. Here is a list - LocalGetaways.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.