Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Mexico's Swine Flu
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Mexico
Pages: 1, 2
wakingdream
Wow, so no one's talking about this?

I'm definitely not a sensationalist but let's look at it for what it is. It is pretty serious.

How far has it spread? There are reports of school kids in the US, NZ and Canada that may have contracted it. Asia is now on "high alert". This is a very concerning mutation of flu viruses we're talking about.

What do you guys think about what's happening in Mexico right now? Thoughts, Fears? Opinions? Future predictions?

Anyone in Mexico right now?
branefatboy
Im really scared bout this,and im hoping that they will stop it while its not to late.

raniroo
The majority of the people in NZ, Canada and US etc have recently returned from a trip in Mexico....and when passed on from human to human it is mutating....I have read that airports are going to start screening travellers from these areas before they enter the country.

I also have read that the World Bank is loaning $102 million to help combat this...
branefatboy
and the good thing is that the medicine reacts to the virus
travelmonster
okay, hopefully Paula doesn't get struck down by it tomorrow - but I think its just the latest thing that people are going to get into a frenzy about - I remember the TV reports about bird flu - we were all going to get wiped out, people would be dying left, right and centre. One of our newspapers (when we were threatened with the bird flu epidemic) - actually wrote an article telling you to go and stock up on tinned and frozen foods, so that when it struck in full force, you would be able to lock yourselves in your homes and have food to eat - For me personally, I won't and don't worry about it in the least.

I am of course very saddened for people who have been affected by it and their families.
raniroo
The reported symptoms are similar to the common flu. They include fever, lethargy, lack of appetite, coughing, runny nose, sore throat, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

The virus spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes around another person. People can become infected by touching something with the flu virus on it and then touching their mouth, nose or eyes.

I remember the SARS out break too.....i think people particuarly in those areas affected should take precautions, however extreme, to ensure their health is safe.
starlagurl
It's very easy to get freaked out about stuff like this because of the likelihood that a devastating disease WILL wipe out a big chunk of the world's population.

The problem is, we just don't know WHEN it will happen. It could be today, it could be in 1,000 years. It's as natural as an earthquake or lightning striking. The best you can do is learn how it spreads and try and protect yourself from it that way.
wakingdream

t's very easy to get freaked out about stuff like this because of the likelihood that a devastating disease WILL wipe out a big chunk of the world's population.

The truth is we're due for a pandemic or epidemic. WHO (World health Org) believes this very well could be the next Big One. There's still tons of research to be done.

The 1-3 Pandemic rating means we're assessing and planning. The 4th level is putting those plans into action and putting strict travel restrictions in place. The 5th is, well, let's not go there. The virus could even end up latent for the summer and re-emerge in the fall. Viruses work in very funny ways.

The virus spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes around another person.

It is not airborne. You can get contract it only by touching something the virus lives on, and it can live for a long period of time on most objects. Or swapping spit as they say.

There's really no reason to "freak out" but I think it's important to know what's going on and learn about how to protect yourself.
jeremystravels
It devastated my stocks this morning thats for sure....

I am not worried. I think the one difference between a pandemic now and a pandemic in 1910 is that the healthcare system has improved immensely in the time since. I think they were saying that there are some 50 million vaccinnes ready to go in the United States with more being produced. Thats enough for about 1 in 6 people.

The fact that, as of right now, cases are not as strong outside of Mexico is also highly encouraging. I just hope it passes on before more people get sick or die.
mmbcross
I'm booked for Cancun with the family for the 28th. May. I will be keeping a weather eye on the situation to see what happens. At present I have not cancelled anything. We will have to wait and see.
bakasyonista
I received this through email from NYSNA and I'd like to share it with everyone:

Swine Flu - Protecting yourself, your family and your patients.

Over the weekend Governor Patterson activated the State Emergency Preparedness Plan and put New York State on High Alert due to the confirmation of several positive cases of Swine Flu in NYC and across the United States. This activation will allow the State to effectively monitor the situation and respond quickly to any newly reported cases. For information about New York City cases, please see http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2009/pr016-09.shtml.

The swine influenza (H1N1) virus causes a febrile respiratory illness with symptoms similar to the seasonal flu. However, the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) has anticipated that the flu vaccination received for this year will not be effective against this virus. A total of 20 cases have been reported across the United States.

Protecting yourself, your families and your patients from possible infection is the best prevention. Unless further instructions are released from the CDC, infection control actions remain similar to the seasonal flu:

Wash your hands. Since most viral illnesses are transmitted by contact, washing your hands will decrease the spread of illness among your family, colleagues and patients. Encourage children to wash their hands often. Sneeze or cough into a tissue or into your elbow, and instruct others in this method. Never rely totally on antiseptic hand cleansers; they need to be washed off with soap and water periodically to remain effective;
Eat healthy food and take supplemental vitamins as indicated by your provider;
Stay home when you are ill. Keep children home from school to avoid spreading viruses to other in the community.
Caring for individuals in the home or hospital settings requires diligent use of universal precautions. Be certain to follow your facility or agency policy for precautions.
Those patients who present with febrile illness should be considered for swine influenza, especially if they have traveled into Mexico recently or were in contact with persons who had febrile respiratory illness during the7 days preceding their own illness onset.
Clinicians who suspect swine influenza should obtain a nasopharyngeal swab, place the swab in a viral transport medium, refrigerate the specimen and contact their State or local health department to facilitate transportation and timely diagnosis.
Further clinical guidance for laboratory safety, case definition infection control and information for the public can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm.

The CDC has not recommended that travel be avoided but has provided guidance for travelers to remain healthy and reduce their risk of infection at: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/contentSwineFluUS.aspx .

Reference Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, 2009, retrieved April 27, 2009 from http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/index.htm

travelmonster
QUOTE(jeremystravels @ Apr 27 2009, 05:34 PM) *

I am not worried. I think the one difference between a pandemic now and a pandemic in 1910 is that the healthcare system has improved immensely in the time since. I think they were saying that there are some 50 million vaccinnes ready to go in the United States with more being produced. Thats enough for about 1 in 6 people.

Exactly - it will be contained - just like bird flu/sars and any others that were going to spread like wildfire and kill us all off.
jeremystravels
QUOTE(travelmonster @ Apr 28 2009, 05:01 AM) *

Exactly - it will be contained - just like bird flu/sars and any others that were going to spread like wildfire and kill us all off.

I think one promising sign so far is that, while there are cases in other countries, it seems like everyone that has got it has only received mild cases after returning from Mexico and it has not passed on to others from there.

I find it quite disturbing that there are stories that doctors turned patients away in Mexico who exhibited the symptoms. Way to continue the spread of the disease. I also read an article this morning that says the number of cases reported in hospitals in Mexico has been dropping in the past three days too and that they are pretty much on lock down mode with public transportation disrupted, schools closed, museums closed, and all early may celebrations canceled.
skylab
I'm not worried at all. We have other viruses that spread just as fast that don't get any attention and still exist.
starlagurl
What viruses are you talking about?
kitkatgo
I was worried, living in Southern California, in a city with an extremely large population of hispanic people, many of which are going in and out of Mexico.

I read up on it yesterday, and after doing so, I'm not that worried any more. The only deaths were in Mexico, and they don't really know the extenuating circumstances there (I suspect they were not able to get proper care, or they died of something else).

For me, it's a flu to avoid like any other. The press has just blown it out of proportion like they do many things.

[I admit, that I'm glad some extra precautions have been taken though.]
wakingdream

[quote]I find it quite disturbing that there are stories that doctors turned patients away in Mexico who exhibited the symptoms. Way to continue the spread of the disease.[/quote]

What? Really?

[quote]For me, it's a flu to avoid like any other. The press has just blown it out of proportion like they do many things.[/quote]

I dunno, it's not really like any other flu though. It's a very weird mutation. I'm not overly worried right now but I am definitely concerned, if not for myself, for the many people around the world that have and could die from it. I'm pretty sure this is the highest pandemic level we've reached since the ratings were initiated. That's concerning. Plus, you know, six degrees of separation.

CDC experts are saying that just because we're seeing weak cases of the virus, don't expect they'll all be like that. The thing is, we have no idea what will happen, and whatever is going to happen isn't going to happen overnight.

Personally I hate hype but news is news and news channels are just reporting on the biggest story right now that has developments all the time, so it's always news. It can be overwhelming to hear about it all the time though.

[/quote] The only deaths were in Mexico, and they don't really know the extenuating circumstances there (I suspect they were not able to get proper care, or they died of something else).[quote]

This is an interesting point. We were discussing this the other day, with a geneticist. Apparently the extremely diverse cultural makeup of NA has something to do with the virus's effectiveness (for lack of a better word). Think of it as pure blood lines, and pure blood lines are weaker for some reason........

[/quote]I'm not worried at all. We have other viruses that spread just as fast that don't get any attention and still exist[quote]

Yeah, which other viruses?
visor2040
Ahoy from Swine Flu Central hyper.gif

So, should you cancel your trips? Yes, there are talks about the timing of the outbreak being the same time that people came back to Mexico City from several tourist destinations.

Why are people dying here? They didn't get help soon enough. Some showed up at hospitals well over ten days after they first showed symptoms.

Should you panic? Nah, 36K people die in the US alone from seasonal flu. We have 150 deaths so no panic.

More questions? Shoot flowers.png
sianeth
Update, US reports first Swine Flu death...

BBC News
skylab
So apparently all outside countries are advising to stay away from the US, Canada, and Mexico
starlagurl
Really? Which countries?

Visor, where are you living right now?
jeremystravels
QUOTE(sianeth @ Apr 29 2009, 08:30 AM) *

Update, US reports first Swine Flu death...

BBC News

The death was an infant, unfortunately.
skylab
QUOTE(starlagurl @ Apr 29 2009, 09:02 AM) *

Really? Which countries?

Visor, where are you living right now?

My dad was coming in from Argentina and it was announced somewhere over there in the news.
wakingdream
QUOTE(mmbcross @ Apr 27 2009, 03:46 PM) *

I'm booked for Cancun with the family for the 28th. May. I will be keeping a weather eye on the situation to see what happens. At present I have not cancelled anything. We will have to wait and see.

QUOTE(ttiger @ Apr 27 2009, 05:58 PM) *

Wife and I are heading to Playa Del Carmen in 8 weeks. Hopefully it's all cleared up by then.

We traveled throughout SEA and HK during SARS. Everyone back home was freaking out but it was way worse in Toronto than anywhere we were. It didn't affect our trip at all expect for in HK where there were some delays, med checks and masks, but it was only a small inconvenience. SARS spread to 37 countries and was eventually contained. It will be interesting to see how this compares.

Apparently there are only two main factors which will determine the strength of this virus;

mutation and resistance. Both of those have yet to be determined so no one really "knows" anything solid yet. Making those determinations could take a lot of time.

I went to the doc's with my son yesterday and on the door there is a notice. If anyone has symptoms of persistent cough and shortness of breath they should report to their doctor immediately. So I went on in and told the receptionist I have all those symptoms (b/c we have just had a nasty flu/cold combo which I know isn't swine flu). She asked if I was traveling recently and I said no. then she was all "oh okay then" and that was that.

Not that I think there should have been a big deal made but what if I was in contact with someone who had been to Mexico and I didn't know it? There has to be a better way to test people rather than saying, "if you haven't been to Mexico you're fine". The girl in BC who got it sat in the hospital waiting room for two hours before she got in. Who knows who else she infected.....
raniroo
We have been told if we have symptoms of the flu we should ring the doctor and advise that you have either been travelling or may have come in contact with someone that had....they can then determine whether you can come into the surgery or whether they will visit the home, or some other way of diagnosing.

Don't just turn up at the surgery in case you do spread it....
sianeth
QUOTE(raniroo @ Apr 30 2009, 06:54 AM) *

We have been told if we have symptoms of the flu we should ring the doctor and advise that you have either been travelling or may have come in contact with someone that had....they can then determine whether you can come into the surgery or whether they will visit the home, or some other way of diagnosing.

Yeah, same here. The government has launched a big ad campaign today and ordered in stocks of Tamiflu for 50 million people... Hmm, I am still inclined to try and ignore it all and continue as usual.
sianeth
Hmm, this seems pretty smart to me, I wonder if any other countries are trying it:

Thermal scanners will start screening travellers for high temperatures at eight of Australia's international airports this afternoon to help prevent swine flu from entering the nation's borders.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon announced the measure in Melbourne this afternoon in response to the World Health Organisation's warning that a pandemic was imminent.

Airports to use Thermal Scanners to scan for Swine Flu
jeremystravels
QUOTE(sianeth @ Apr 30 2009, 04:20 AM) *

Hmm, this seems pretty smart to me, I wonder if any other countries are trying it:

Thermal scanners will start screening travellers for high temperatures at eight of Australia's international airports this afternoon to help prevent swine flu from entering the nation's borders.

Wouldn't there be an issue with the fact that the person, who had just been on a plane for 12 hours, had infected people sitting close to them? I doubt someone who just picked up the virus would start showing an increased temperature immediately. Then again I really don't know when in the process the virus is active and transferable, but it just seems a bit odd.
myra77
Well there were 35 -40 of us booked to go to Cozumel this weekend for my brothers wedding and our trip was canceled on Tuesday because Air Canada has postponed all flights to Mexico until June sometime. We were lucky that our travel agent and ACV opened up hotel rooms and a flight to the DR where we are headed to now instead otherwise we wouldn't have been going anywhere......
starlagurl
QUOTE(sianeth @ Apr 30 2009, 04:20 AM) *

Health Minister Nicola Roxon announced the measure in Melbourne this afternoon in response to the World Health Organisation's warning that a pandemic was imminent.

Airports to use Thermal Scanners to scan for Swine Flu

I think they did that for SARS too...
skylab
We had a memo at work that explained how to wash your hands and dry them.. Must be serious!
wakingdream
QUOTE(raniroo @ Apr 30 2009, 01:54 AM) *

But HOW are you supposed to know you've been in contact with anyone who might have the virus? Obviously you know if you've been traveling but I guess that's the whole scary component of a persistently spreading pandemic, you really have no idea because so-and-so person could have come back from Mexico with no clue, went to the bank and touched a few things then a few others picked it up, went elsewhere, touched a whole bunch of other things and then blammo, it's snowballed and out of control. I think that's really the scariest thing. That's why we just don't know the severity of it yet b/c it takes some time to assess the damage.

I think going on with life as usual is all we really can do. Keeping our hands clean and washing them persistently (not out of paranoia but out of safety) is the only way to avoid picking up anything, not just swine flu. that's the best thing to do in flu season, which is just at its tail end here, and this year the flus and colds were nasty. Seems like they get nastier every year.

Well there were 35 -40 of us booked to go to Cozumel this weekend for my brothers wedding and our trip was canceled on Tuesday because Air Canada has postponed all flights to Mexico until June sometime. We were lucky that our travel agent and ACV opened up hotel rooms and a flight to the DR where we are headed to now instead otherwise we wouldn't have been going anywhere......

I think we're going to see this more and more. Err on the side of caution. That's great that you could re-arrange a trip though.
mmbcross
My family and I are (were) planning to visit Cancun on the 28th. May. Here is the personal message I sent to all the family members today. I think it speaks for itself.

Hello Everyone,

Well, I would imagine that the planned family reunion for next month in Cancun is up for reconsideration.

Though the situation is regrettable, most news and health sources admit that it has been totally blown out of prospective. It is a flu epidemic that can be cured by such mundane medicines as Tamiflu. The chances of contacting the flu, even in Mexico, are infinitesimal, and suggestions about closing borders are ludicrous. All deaths up to now have been attributed to negligence or ignorance.

Nevertheless, it is the perception that counts in regards to our holiday. Though Miryam and I are still planning to go, it won't be a proper family reunion if no one joins us, and that is the whole object of this trip.

Firstly we need to ask how many people will come with us whatever? If less than half decide to go, I feel we should look to reschedule.

Mexicana Airlines will allow us to reschedule without penalty one week prior to the departure date. This will give us time to set another date, perhaps around Labour Day in September. By then the human race will either be extinct or the flu will have run it's course. So in theory, we must come up with an alternative date we all agree on by Wednesday 30th. May, unless of course CDC considers the epidemic is contained, and we can go ahead as planned. Please keep in mind that although Mexicana and all other airlines will reschedule, they will not refund the cost of the airline ticket.

Please let me know your comments and suggestions on the above.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/pdf/brochure.pdf
This is an interesting site from CDC putting the situation in perspective. Swine flu is by no means new, and CDC reckons that traditionally 30% to 50% of US pigs have always been infected with swine flu.

visor2040
Hello kids! The forum failed me, it usually sent me emails when people replied to threads sad.gif.

So, update: Mexico City is officially the most bored city in the world! hyper.gif Bars, closed. Clubs, closed. Restaurants, closed. Museums, closed. Movie theaters, closed. Normal theaters, closed. Churches, closed. Malls, closed. Street food vendors, closed. Even freaking Blockbuster is closed ranting2.gif .

Please stay away from Mexico City, screw influenza. The town is just boring. crying_anim02.gif .

Should you come to Mexico City in a few months? By mid-May I'd say you're A-OK.

Other places? Please do, the disease didn't grow as some of us thought. If you have plans for the summer, please come and say hello flowers.png .

I'll manually subscribe to this thread now, if anything new shows up I'll let you know.

PS: Remember to wash your hands smile.gif
wakingdream
QUOTE(mmbcross @ Apr 30 2009, 11:57 AM) *

My family and I are (were) planning to visit Cancun on the 28th. May. Here is the personal message I sent to all the family members today. I think it speaks for itself.

Hello Everyone,

Well, I would imagine that the planned family reunion for next month in Cancun is up for reconsideration.

Though the situation is regrettable, most news and health sources admit that it has been totally blown out of prospective. It is a flu epidemic that can be cured by such mundane medicines as Tamiflu. The chances of contacting the flu, even in Mexico, are infinitesimal, and suggestions about closing borders are ludicrous. All deaths up to now have been attributed to negligence or ignorance.

Nevertheless, it is the perception that counts in regards to our holiday. Though Miryam and I are still planning to go, it won't be a proper family reunion if no one joins us, and that is the whole object of this trip.

Firstly we need to ask how many people will come with us whatever? If less than half decide to go, I feel we should look to reschedule.

Mexicana Airlines will allow us to reschedule without penalty one week prior to the departure date. This will give us time to set another date, perhaps around Labour Day in September. By then the human race will either be extinct or the flu will have run it's course. So in theory, we must come up with an alternative date we all agree on by Wednesday 30th. May, unless of course CDC considers the epidemic is contained, and we can go ahead as planned. Please keep in mind that although Mexicana and all other airlines will reschedule, they will not refund the cost of the airline ticket.

Please let me know your comments and suggestions on the above.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/pdf/brochure.pdf
This is an interesting site from CDC putting the situation in perspective. Swine flu is by no means new, and CDC reckons that traditionally 30% to 50% of US pigs have always been infected with swine flu.

That sure puts it into perspective. Where else would you consider for the reunion? Do you know what the favorite alternative is to Mexico?

Please stay away from Mexico City, screw influenza. The town is just boring.

All seriousness aside, that made me laugh.

Warning! Do not go to Mexico City for fear of death by boredom. smile.gif
mmbcross
Update for our family reunion in Cancun. We are good to go for May, with only two cancellations.
bakasyonista

"But HOW are you supposed to know you've been in contact with anyone who might have the virus? Obviously you know if you've been traveling but I guess that's the whole scary component of a persistently spreading pandemic, you really have no idea because so-and-so person could have come back from Mexico ....."

You don't really know because people can be contagious 1 day before their symptoms begin

The best way to protect yourself from getting or spreading swine flu are:
> Ask everyone around you to cover his/her mouth and nose when he/she coughs and sneezes.
> Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol based hand sanitizer, especially after you cough or sneeze
>Try to avoid being around sick people
>Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
>If you become ill, you should stay away from others.
visor2040
Yay! We go back to somewhat-normal this Wednesday!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Now you can come to MC. Just remember to bring your own face masks, hand sanitizer and/or gloves (I don't think you'll need gloves but some people like to use them). All those things are tax-free now. Remember to bring them with you, it will be VERY hard to find them here.

PS: Argentinians are leaving the city so if you planned on eating somewhere in La Condesa... think again. They're out of waiters. tongue.gif
starlagurl
Just read this article in the New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/fashion/.../03FLUWEDS.html

All kinds of brides are cancelling their weddings in Mexico. *sigh*

"We have had cruise passengers call, freaking out; brides with weddings in July having panic attacks just wonderful!" said Terry McCabe, a travel agent at Altour in New York.
mmbcross
I can quite see that brides with destination weddings in Mexico have a problem. Unless of course they want to have a nice quiet wedding on their own!
introducinlyric
just read through entire thread...phew. my thoughts are that the news has sensationalized swine flu to the point where people are becoming paranoid (people are travelling to work in sydney wearing face masks..i mean come on there hasnt even been a confirmed case of swine flu in australia yet..at least to my knowledge). i think it will simply cause paranoia and hysteria
im already noticing how people react when someones sneezes "oh my you must have swine flu" or coughs "get away from me i dont wana catch swine flu" its really becoming a bit of a joke..and literally people are constantly making jokes about swine flu (which is in poor taste) but im hearing things like "oh you've been feeling really tired lately...you might wana call you doctor and see if you need to be quarantined"
its endless and quite simply becoming too much. washing you hands and keeping yourself clean is a part of good hygiene which people should already have theres no need to develop an OCD over this. im just a little over it (and not from lack of sympathy) i just think newspapers and media have taken it a bit too far and are unnecessarily scaring people. and its constant you cant seem to escape those two words "swine flu" arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! crazy.gif
sianeth
Actually the hysteria seems to have died down here of late. I haven't seen anything about it on the news for the last three days. Perhaps they've realised that two more people being diagnosed with it in a day isn't really newsworthy considering that people get normal flu all the time...
starlagurl
Re: Swineflu jokes.

Really Gerre??? I have never heard anyone joking about it here. Maybe it's because so many people are sick with it in Canada already...
starlagurl
Oh yeahhhh I saw that picture of the kid...

It's cute, but, definitely in bad taste...
rbisset
There was someone off work here last week and I think he got a bit pissed off with everyone joking, asking if he had swine flu. I had asked him before he even got in the door!

It's all a load of sensationalised bollocks! I'm pretty sure I'll have a UK government leaflet through the post tonight telling me how to wash my hands.
visor2040
Question for patient zero: What the hell were you doing with the pig?!

It's not bad taste. In Mexico we do it all the time. tongue.gif
starlagurl
Really? I wonder what the families of the people who died say about that...
introducinlyric
QUOTE(2olives @ May 7 2009, 10:06 AM) *

I hear jokes about it constantly. I have even received these images in recent emails:

The caption to this one read something like "They finally discovered the origins of Swine Flu"
IPB Image

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/04/30/w...e_n_193624.html (don't go here if you are sensitive to curse words!)

i havent seen this picture b4 but its just...wrong
introducinlyric
QUOTE(starlagurl @ May 7 2009, 09:58 AM) *

Re: Swineflu jokes.

Really Gerre??? I have never heard anyone joking about it here. Maybe it's because so many people are sick with it in Canada already...

how many people have it in Canada louise?
starlagurl
The Globe and Mail says 142 today.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.