Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Four Corners...not really the four corners
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
starlagurl
I don't know if this even really matters, but technically, visiting the four corners of Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico does not mean you've been to four states...

The Four Corners, a famous and popular tourist spot in the American Southwest, is and isn't where it should be. Confused? Read on.

Four Corners the only place in the United States where four state boundaries come together was first surveyed by the U.S. government in 1868, during the initial survey of Colorado's southern boundary line. Its intended location was an even 109 degrees west longitude and 37 degrees north latitude.

However, due to surveying errors, it didn't come out that way.

According to readings by the National Geodetic Survey, today's official marker sits at 109 02 42.62019 W longitude and 36 59 56.31532 N latitude.

That means the current monument marking the intersection of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona is approximately 2.5 miles west of where it should be.

According to three different Internet sites for distance calculations (including an FCC site and GPS visualizer) the readings were 2.493; 2.484; and 2.499 miles.

A member of the Utah Association of Geocachers in Price also came up with 2.5 miles by using two other Internet sites, Google Earth and the Great Circle Calculator. (Geocachers routinely rely on GPS data to find exact locations.)

From: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,...12,00.html?pg=1

findingnine
Another scam. I always suspected!
semi-backpacker
That's really disappointing, because this was on my list of places I want to visit in the Southwest...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.