Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to travel from phi phi to krabi
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Thailand
lornie
Hi,

Can anyone advise the best/safest way to get from phi phi to krabi for a lone female traveller? Also is there much to do in Krabi? Recommendations? Nice beaches? Good to meet fellow solo travellers?

Thanks
starlagurl
Oooh looks like you can take a ferry:

Ferries run from/to Ko Phi Phi, Ko Jum and Ko Lanta daily. Most depart in the morning. Tickets can be purchased at the dock or from tourist offices and most local guesthouses and hotels. The normal passenger ferry does not start from the center of town anymore, but from a new passenger port about 3 km outside Krabi. Free taxi transfer to the pier should be included in the price of your ticket. If your boat starts from the old piers in the center of town (Chao Fah pier or Phi Phi pier), you are most likely on a more expensive and longer tourist boat ride. Also, make sure that when you arrive at the airport the taxi driver takes you to the correct pier. Many times they'll take you to a travel agent near the old pier and sell you additional accommodations or services. Only ever buy the ticket you need. Prices will often get cheaper the closer you get to your next destination.

Ferry tickets to Ko Phi Phi are 350 baht when purchased from a travel agent.

The large displayed time-tables in the many travel agencies are just for show and the times are not to be taken literally. Ask. As of July 2007, there were two ferries a day from Krabi to Ko Phi Phi a day: 10am and 2:30pm. They add additional ferries during high-season.

The pier at Klong Jilad, for ferries to and from Ko Phi Phi has a taxi desk with posted prices: 150 baht to Krabi town, and 350 baht to the airport.

kris
i enjoyed a recent trip to railay in the krabi area.. an obvious next destination which is popular coming from phi-phi.. easy to meet others whether on the way, doing the trek to the lagoon, joining a climbing outfit for the day or checking out the low key bars.. theres two or three good beaches, i preferred phra nang..
lornie
Thanks Neil.. What i meant was how to get from phuket to krabi.
kathryn77
QUOTE(lornie @ Apr 8 2009, 10:44 PM) *

Well....there is a bus, all the way up from Phuket, round, and back down to Krabi (might not be direct), or you can island hop from Phuket to Phi Phi to Krabi....or the same as the latter, but adding in other islands in between as well?....
lornie
QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 8 2009, 05:47 PM) *

Well....there is a bus, all the way up from Phuket, round, and back down to Krabi (might not be direct), or you can island hop from Phuket to Phi Phi to Krabi....or the same as the latter, but adding in other islands in between as well?....

Thanks Kathryn, have heard Krabi is not great so am thinking of giving that a miss now. I suppose I am maybe planning too much but just want to have a rough idea and then go with the flow! I will maybe stay in Phuket for a night or 2 and then I reckon hit Phi Phi.. also heard Railay Beach is nice and that's along the way, you been there?
ScottWoz
Krabi's amazing. Who keeps giving you all this negative information?
kathryn77
Hi Lornie,
Unfortunately missed out on Krabi last time, but planning to potentially go there this time round, in June - can't wait! hyper.gif
raniroo
QUOTE(lornie @ Apr 9 2009, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(kathryn77 @ Apr 8 2009, 05:47 PM) *

Thanks Kathryn, have heard Krabi is not great so am thinking of giving that a miss now. I suppose I am maybe planning too much but just want to have a rough idea and then go with the flow! I will maybe stay in Phuket for a night or 2 and then I reckon hit Phi Phi.. also heard Railay Beach is nice and that's along the way, you been there?

There are either slow boats or speed boats that leave Phi Phi to Krabi.

Definately stay at Raileh Beach...you can get a long tail around from Krabi, which takes about 20 minutes or so and there are few cool resorts to stay at....awesome spot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.