Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Five Asia-like places in the U.S.
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
starlagurl
Can't afford a trip to Asia this year?
Here's five places you can go to to make it feel like you're there, without leaving home:

http://perceptivetravel.com/blog/2009/03/2...asia-in-the-us/

Koreatown in Los Angeles
Japantown in San Francisco
Little Saigon in Houston, Texas
Filipino community in Las Vegas
Indians/South Asians in Millbourne, Pennsylvania

Anyone familiar with these places? Any other "Asia-towns" to add to the list?
mmbcross
We had a small Japanese agricultural community in South Florida who settled in Palm Beach County 1903 to grow pineapples. Presently there is a wonderful museum and garden to recall these pioneering farmers.
http://www.morikami.org/

kitkatgo
What about Chinatown in San Fran? I've actually never heard of Japantown there????
starlagurl
Yah for sure, that would be one of the obvious ones.
Now you have someplace new to explore next time you go there, Kit!
stereobread
In addition to Korea Town the LA area also has Thai Town, Little Saigon, of course China Town, Little Tokyo, Filipinotown, Little Cambodia in Long Beach and if you include the Middle East as part of Asia Little Gaza in Anaheim and Little Persia. Not to mention the (admittedly non-Asian) Little Ethiopia.
kitkatgo
Yeah, I just heard on the radio that they are having a Cherry Blossom Festival in Little Tokyo in L.A. (not sure of the dates...maybe this weekend?).
starlagurl
Spam and rice? Really? That's good?
polydemic
Actually, every major city has a Chinatown (even London & Amsterdam). Asians, especially the Chinese, have a tendancy to gravitate into a community. I've found a Chinatown in nearly every city in the US & Canada. In Seattle, it's call the International District (or I-District for short).
semi-backpacker
There's also a Chinatown in New York and one in Boston.
On a side note, there's a chinatown in the Dominican Republic! :-)

IPB Image
starlagurl
Looks gross!

IPB Image
starlagurl
I think I"m gonna trust you on that one.
shangguan
Oooh Spam! I like spam. It was the only dish my grandfather could make. I used to eat it when I went to his house when I was a kid. He would make S.O.S. for breakfast.
starlagurl
Haha what is S.O.S???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.