Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Air Canada vs. WestJet
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Canada
starlagurl
I know me and Keith have had this discussion before, but I wonder if any of you guys had an opinion.

What do you think is better, Air Canada or Westjet?
moinmotion
Absolutely WestJet. Friendly service from people who actually like their jobs, no oversold flights, excellent on time performance, no tiny prop planes. The only problem is that they don't have many international destinations yet - no service beyond North America and a few sun destinations in Mexico and the Caribbean. But, they're growing every year ...
starlagurl
Don't forget the prices...they usually have way better prices too...

I don't think they have ever lost my bags either...
findingnine
I would say Sometimes they have lower prices. I fly Air Canada more because I usually get a better deal there. That said, their baggage handling leaves much to be desired.

Air Canada Is generally a much more comfortable flght with rows of 2 instead of 3 and the on board entertainment is not only notably better, it is included.
starlagurl
You can watch TV on Westjet for free, it's not that bad....
findingnine
...it's not that good.

Plus lotsa the time, planes schedules don't quite match up with programming schedules.

On Air Canada, it starts when you want, and you can pause.

On Westjet, You have to buy it when it's available, and there is a charge and no pausing.

Air Canada is a better flight. Just not when you actually NEED your luggage on the other end.
starlagurl
Ah, big deal. Read a book!
findingnine
Books are yucky!
starlagurl
You don't know what's good for you.
loolie
We've only ever flown Air Canada, and I'm not that impressed with their service. I keep hearing about how West Jet is better, but they haven't flown to any destinations that we've gone to. Our last time flying with Air Canada, they cancelled our flight entirely so we had to fly in a day early. Which didn't end up being such a bad thing when we got an extra day's vacation out of it, but it was a bit stressful to figure everything out.
starlagurl
Hey Peever, haven't seen you in a while! Where've you been?

I never noticed the difference in size between the planes, are you talking about seat size?
ashleyrenee
This is good to know, since I might be traveling aircanada overseas thanks guys!
starlagurl
I don't think WestJet goes overseas, does it? I don't think you have a choice if you are flying from Canada.
findingnine
I don't think so either.
I'll be using Air Canada for overseas.
Hope my bags get there too!
*fingers anxiously crossed*
starlagurl
When/where?
findingnine
Germany in the fall, unless Plans change.
starlagurl
How come, and how much is Air Canada charging?
findingnine
How come what? How come I didn't choose the airline that doesn't go to my destination?
I don't know what you want to know.

It cost about 600 before taxes.
findingnine
QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jun 19 2009, 01:34 PM) *

I never noticed the difference in size between the planes, are you talking about seat size?

He's talking Plane size I suspect. Have you never flown Air Canada. Westjet...all same. but Air Canada has some quite large and some quite small. The small ones can definitley be crowded and I suspect Thunder Bay sees a lot more of the littluns.
aopaq
QUOTE(findingnine @ Jun 20 2009, 01:56 AM) *

QUOTE(starlagurl @ Jun 19 2009, 01:34 PM) *

He's talking Plane size I suspect. Have you never flown Air Canada. Westjet...all same. but Air Canada has some quite large and some quite small. The small ones can definitley be crowded and I suspect Thunder Bay sees a lot more of the littluns.

Air Canada has quite a few of the Embraer (Brazilian made) aircraft that seat about 90 passengers. They tend to get used on the shorter routes such as Thunder Bay to Winnipeg and the worst thing besides being quite a bit smaller than the Boeing or Airbus planes is that the overhead baggage compartments are also smaller.
ashleyrenee
Well I just found a round trip ticket from Portland Oregon to Dublin Ireland for 670 USD using Aerlingus.com
starlagurl
QUOTE(findingnine @ Jun 20 2009, 01:38 AM) *
How come what?

I just meant how come you are going to Oktoberfest?

QUOTE(findingnine @ Jun 20 2009, 01:56 AM) *

Yes, of course I've flown with both, and I didn't notice a difference in seat size, so I was surprised that plane size mattered. I don't see what the difference is between a small or big plane.

QUOTE(ashleyrenee @ Jun 21 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Well I just found a round trip ticket from Portland Oregon to Dublin Ireland for 670 USD using Aerlingus.com

Ashley! We're only talking about Canadian airlines in this thread, but good for you for getting that deal.
terri009
I've flown on both and to me, a flight is just a flight. I sleep on the plane or I watch t.v. Usually when I fly domestically via WestJet, I just sleep though because the ride is so short. When I fly overseas, I stick to Air Canada (instead of other airlines like UA or AA). When you fly overseas, the meals and the in flight entertainment system is included in your airfare so you don't have to pay for that (not saying that this makes the flight worth the thousand dollars you have to pay). I don't think I've ever lost my luggage before, maybe I'm just lucky? Recently however, I've been flying domestically via Air Canada Jazz and I actually really like it. The seats are comfortable and the plane feels really new and clean.
larryswift
I work as a travel agent and fly all the time .. i fly both Air Canada and West jet frequently.. I far preffer AIR Canada over WJ.... I find Air Canada has way better seats ( more comfy) better entertainment options and better food . Airlines are Airlines though. Most things people complain about are generally out of the airlines control... even lost baggage is usually the fault of the baggage handlers and not the airline. I have also flown most of the US big carriers UA and US and AA and CO... Air Canada also beats any of these guys hands down. any time i have the choice i choose Air Canada . Air Canada is our Natinal Airline and gets far too much slack... they are often the only choice if you are leaving the continent. hyper.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.