Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Crime & Punishment Museum
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A. > Washington, DC
travelingkh
The Crime & Punishment Museum is probably the most interesting museum in DC that very few people know about. It begins in the 16th century and traces the history of crime and its consequences to present day. The punishments are so bizarre for the simplest deed and everyone seeme to get a stint in the town stocks. This was my second visit to the museum, but I brought my brother and his wife who were visiting from Massachusetts. They studied and read every word in that museum for five hours.We saw the lavish cell of Al Capone; read the poetry written by Bonnie Barrow; tried out a prison cell; participated in a forensic lab; and tried the simulated car chase and shoot out that is used in FBI and the police academy. They definitely need chairs there. We slowly made our way through all the exhibits, one more intriguing than the next.I don't want to say too much because there are surprises, but if you're in DC, be sure to see it.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=2751Click to view attachment][att
achmentid=2751]
starlagurl
Sounds pretty cool, Karen, thanks!
polydemic
Many cities have something like that. I saw one in London & in several cities in Germany. Most people have a curiosity on the morbid.
vipdistinct
That's interesting, I had no idea. Why the flag for Calico Jack Rackham? What does that have to do with American Crime/Punishment? Or is the museum just general Crime and Punishment, not just that in the US.
travelingkh
QUOTE(vipdistinct @ Jul 23 2009, 04:14 AM) *

That's interesting, I had no idea. Why the flag for Calico Jack Rackham? What does that have to do with American Crime/Punishment? Or is the museum just general Crime and Punishment, not just that in the US.

Good question! He earned his name from the colourful Calico clothes he wore. The museum is about general Crime & Punishment, mostly in the US.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.