Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: March 18, 2009 trip to Peru
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Peru
travelingkat
Hello. I'm arriving in Lima on March 18th late evening and I'm having difficulty figuring out transportation in my schedule of places I'd like to see. Here's what I'm trying to do: I'd like to Paraglide in Miraflores, then travel to Pisco, Bastillas Islands, Huacachina (trying some sandboarding)-possibly stay the night, Nazca Lines, Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Cuzco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Aguas Calientes (stay the night) then back to Lima on the morning of March 27th so my friend that I'm traveling with can catch a flight home. I think the sites we'd like to see in the time frame allotted is probably aggressive for the capability of transportation, but I'm more than willing to catch a flight to expedite the schedule. Also, I don't plan to trek at Machu Picchu. I'm having difficulty finding much about ground transport schedules. I'd greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide to help me figure out how to get to each of these destinations, and how long to allow at each, and if my list is too crowded (I'd have to drop Arequipa/Colca Canyon, unfortunately). Past travels in some other countries, I've been able to find 12-15 passenger vans going to certain sites versus buses, couldn't find any info on alternates to buses in case I can't meet the schedule.

Also, I plan to stay on through the 30th and thought about taking a flight to one of the following: La Paz or Arequipa/Colca Canyon (if I can't fit it in above) or Juliaca, or a 3 day jungle stay - any suggestions???

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer smile.gif Kim (Kat)
starlagurl
OK... I am no expert on South America, by ANY stretch of the imagination but...

From what I can see here, you want to do 10 things in less than 10 days.

That is not going to work.

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize, put it all in a list, and then we can help you with the itinerary.
aopaq
Agree with Starlagurl .... you are trying too do waaay to much in too little of time. But I am curious why you are even considering going to Juliaca?? unsure.gif
travelingkat
QUOTE(aopaq @ Mar 10 2009, 05:52 PM) *

Agree with Starlagurl .... you are trying too do waaay to much in too little of time. But I am curious why you are even considering going to Juliaca?? unsure.gif

Thank you for the feedback. Juliaca is the closest airport to go to Puno/Lake Titicaca (in order to do a 3 day side trip). Unfortunately my friend I'm traveling with for the majority of the trip is mostly interested with the coastal area, and Machu Picchu, of course. I will get to take a 3 day side trip to catch up on 1 extra area that I am interested in once he flies out.
travelingkat
QUOTE(starlagurl @ Mar 10 2009, 11:10 AM) *

OK... I am no expert on South America, by ANY stretch of the imagination but...

From what I can see here, you want to do 10 things in less than 10 days.

That is not going to work.

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize, put it all in a list, and then we can help you with the itinerary.

Thanks for your feedback. Since I'd be flying into Lima, I'm already at Miraflores (for my paragliding) - no travel there. Pisco is the area I have to go to get a boat to Bastillas Islands. Need just 1/2 day for this, then on to Huacachina & Nazca Lines. I figured if we take the overnight bus to Arequipa to catch a flight to Cusco, maybe I could stay a day to see the Canyon (knew this might be stretching it). Colca Canyon, Cuzco, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Aguas Calientes are all near each other, and most tours do this part in 3 days time. Since bus rides to Nazca are 7 hours, doing the coastline in 3 days is reasonable, but I can't figure the bus schedules to determine how to catch the next bus after laying over half day at each place on the coast. Any feedback from others, who have traveled in these areas, giving me info as to buses and transport would be greatly appreciated. - Kat
starlagurl
You know what. If you think you can do it, I say do it. To me, it just seems a little rushed, especially without a car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.