Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Toasted ravioli in St. Louis?
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A. > Missouri
starlagurl
Apparently it's the thing to try:

http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/...sted-treat.html

What most people don't know is that the Gateway to the West is home to another unique treat (and my favorite food)--toasted ravioli. This is nothing like Macaroni Grill's Dessert Ravioli, with over 1600 calories and 74 grams of fat (who eats this stuff, anyway?). In fact, it's no different than normal ravioli, other than the fact that it's sprinkled with parmesan cheese, served with marinara sauce, and deep-fried, which makes it even better. The New York Times has even said, "What spicy chicken wings are to Buffalo, toasted ravioli is to St. Louis." Two St. Louis restaurants are credited with the appetizer's invention in the 1940s: Charlie Gitto's (now a popular chain) and Oldani's in The Hill neighborhood. Regardless of who invented it, no one can argue that it's a fabulous Midwest treat.
kitkatgo
Oh yeah! Yummy, yummy! I tried them when I was in St. Louis...
starlagurl
Well then, I will have to try this on my giant road trip soon.
starlagurl
Is it some kind of tourist trap then?
starlagurl
Still, I'd like to try it anyway. See how ingenious they are?!
starlagurl
That's funny that you bring this up now. St. Louis is no longer on our itinerary!
starlagurl
Heehee! I've been to Missouri before, that's why...sorry Heather *pout*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.