Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: First timer for Thailand
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > Thailand
douglas_robson
Hi all,

Could you help a starting traveller out by any chance?
I'm leaving for Thailand in a couple of days and was wondering what great spots are out there to see. I's a very broad question i know... so i'll try to break it down some happy.gif
i only have a month and have a very rough sketch of what my travel itinerary will be.
Starting off in Bangkok, then up to Chiang Mai, heading east to Cambodian or Laosian border and down again towards Ko Samui/Ko Phanang/Ko Tao before heading for home again...

i am psyched to go!! frantics.gif

Douglas
koonel
QUOTE(douglas_robson @ Jan 23 2011, 01:18 AM) *

Hi all,

Could you help a starting traveller out by any chance?
I'm leaving for Thailand in a couple of days and was wondering what great spots are out there to see. I's a very broad question i know... so i'll try to break it down some happy.gif
i only have a month and have a very rough sketch of what my travel itinerary will be.
Starting off in Bangkok, then up to Chiang Mai, heading east to Cambodian or Laosian border and down again towards Ko Samui/Ko Phanang/Ko Tao before heading for home again...

i am psyched to go!! frantics.gif

Douglas

Sounds like a plan to me! You have done better planning than many travelers. Spend a few days in Bangkok before you fly home. Wait until you get to Thailand to change any money over to Thai baht to get the best rate. Bank money changers are at the airport at Suvarnabhumi 24 hours a day.

Don't leave Cambodia or Laos with their currency because no one wants it once you get to a second country. Read up on visa requirements for each country. For Thailand if you need a visa or not depends on the passport you will be using.

A Google check will also give you some suggestions on what to do. If Siem Reap is on your list for a visit it might be cheaper to fly to Phnom Penh first then take bus or boat up to the Angkor Wat area. For Chiang Mai from Bangkok you can also use the sleeper train. If you stay in Bangkok for a few days at the beginning of your holiday you can purchase plane, bus or train tickets. Read up on scams for Bangkok and Thailand in general; especially tuk-tuk and bus scams.

Good transportation from the BKK airport to the city. You have buses, taxis and even a rail link now. But if you arrive after midnight you only have public taxis.

For hotel suggestions always mention a dollar or baht value. If you are a kid or very early 20's maybe a hotel in the Khao San Road area will do. Slightly older maybe a hotel in the Sukhumvit Road/Siam area will be a better choice so you can use the Skytrain. No Skytrain in the KSR area.
douglas_robson
Thanks Koonel!

Esspecially for the advice on currency of neighbouring states of Cambodia and Laos.
The flight to Phnom Penh and the boat/bus trip to Angkor Wat is definitely worth checking out!

only five more days...

hyper.gif
alffredangelo
Well planned. Hope you have a great time. Thailand is indeed a great place to visit
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.