Help - Search - Calendar
Full Version: Passports mandatory soon!
Travel Forum - TravelPod > > U.S.A.
starlagurl
Anybody leaving the US will have to carry a passport, or a cheaper version, a "passport card".

So if you don't have one now, you better get it soon, wait times will probably only get worse!

http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html
polydemic
I thought we already had to do that. For about the last 10 years I had to show a passport just to spend a weekend in Vancouver. What's different about this thing on June 2009?
shangguan
I'm a bit confused. Did Americans always need a passport to leave the U.S.?
ScottWoz
I'd heard that around 90% of Americans don't even hold a passport..
polydemic
QUOTE(scottshangguan @ Jan 23 2009, 10:25 PM) *

I'm a bit confused. Did Americans always need a passport to leave the U.S.?

It all depended on where you were going & for how long. When going to Mexico, in 1974, all that was needed was ID & a birth certificate. (There was a hold up for me because I was born outside the US.) When I first started visiting Canada, each visit just a few days, all I needed was my picture ID. But around 10 years ago (maybe a little less), I was required to have a passport when traveling to Canada.
starlagurl
Nope, if you are traveling by car, right now you only need a government picture ID and your birth certificate. My parents live in Niagara Falls, that's how I know.
huckabmm
Yeah, also if you were going by ship (ie. cruise) to Mexico or the Caribbean you didn't need a passport, only a drivers license and a birth certificate. Not anymore, now its all Passports.

Also, just so you know the "passport card" is only valid for car or ship travel to and from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

So basically unless you travel to these places frequently it is better to just get a regular old passport.

QUOTE(ScottWoz @ Jan 24 2009, 12:09 AM) *

I'd heard that around 90% of Americans don't even hold a passport..

crying_anim.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.