QUOTE(starlagurl @ Dec 10 2008, 09:29 AM)
Besides skiing, what else is there to do in the winter in Alberta? I'm going in February and need some ideas.
I'm not your best source for ice climbing, but a few ideas for you:
- Try snowshoeing! You can use the same trails as x-country skiers (but don't ruin the "tracks"), or you can just tramp around off-trail if you're comfortable with that. You can rent snowshoes at most ski rental places.
- Calgary usually has a Winterfest with ice sculpting, skating, etc. Can't see any info posted yet, but try a web search in the new year.
- If you are in Banff and want a night of culture after a day on the slopes, check out the winter concert series at the Banff Centre: http://www.banffcentre.ca/events/music/2008/winter/
- There is a festival of new Canadian plays staged by by Alberta Theatre Projects in Calgary starting Feb 4th: http://www.atplive.com/OnStage/Enbridge/enbridge.html
- If you have access to a car, check out some of the corny tourist attractions I mentioned in a separate topic in this forum.
- If you meet any locals who have a skidoo (unfortunately I am not one of them), beg them to take you out for a ride - it's exhilirating!
- Hunker down in a cozy coffee shop with a fireplace - I recommend Higher Ground in the Kensington area of Calgary