Full Name ALTAF AHMAD SHAIKH
Father’s Name :GUL MUHAMMAD SHAIKH
Date of Birth : 14TH NOVEMBER 1944
Nationality : PAKISTANI
Passport No. : KB 515910 (Expiry Date: Jan14, 2008)
NIC (Identity Card No) : 42301-0995706-9
Marital Status : Married (Wife; two children)
ADDRESS : 2/II; 8th Gizri Lane, Phase IV,
Defence Housing Authority,
TEL.NOS. : (92-21)-5894090;
: (92-21)-2350272-75 ext.206
ACADEMIC / PROFESSIONAL
- Marine Engineering from Marine Academy, Chittagong; Bangladesh (Former East Pakistan)
- M.Sc degree in Maritime Safety Administration (Engineering), from World Maritime University, Malmo; Sweden.
- `First Class Engineer' (Motors) Certificate of Competency for sailing as Chief Engineer on Foreign Going Vessels.
- Passed A.M.I.E (Mechanical Engineering) examination from the Institute of Engineers, London.
- B.A and LL.B (Law) degrees from the University of Sindh.
- Diploma in "Digital Computer Techniques" from The Institute of Marine Engineers, London and The Institute of Naval Architects, England.
- "Construction, Operation & Maintenance of Machines" course from I.H.I Shipyard, Tokyo (Japan).
- Veritas (Classification & Survey) training at DNV Centre, Hovik, Norway.
- Training of Various Survey work covering essential items concerning "Safety of Life at Sea" and the "Protection of the Marine Environment", from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden.
- A Short Course on Maritime Fire Protection, Fire Detection & Fire Extinction at Malmo, Sweden.
- Various Computer Technology courses in Tokyo, Japan and Malmo, Sweden.
- Field Survey Training at NKK (Nippon Kaiji Kyokai) Classification Society, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Marine Automation Course from Research Institute for Ship Operation, Flensburg, Germany.
AFFILIATION WITH PROFESSIONAL
INSTITUTES & SOCIETIES :
- Member of The Marine Engineering Society, Japan.
- Member of The Society of Naval Architectures, Japan.
- Member of The Canadian Institute of Marine Engineers; Canada.
- Member of Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers, Singapore.
- Associate Member of The Institute of Marine Engineers, London.
- Associate Member of The Institute of Marine Engineers, U.K.
- Member of Singapore Institute of Engineering Technologists, Singapore.
- Member of The Chartered Institute of Transport, Singapore.
- Member of Institute Kelautan (Mariners) Malaysia.
- Joined Pakistan National Shipping Corporation as Junior Marine Engineer in 1968 till Chief Engineer in 1976 and served on various ships for about 12 years.
- Senior Lecturer & Principal P.N.S.C. Marine College, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Officer Incharge Engineering Dept. ”Maritime Academy Malaysia”, Malacca, from 1983 to 1990. The jobs and responsibilities included:
Setting up the new academy & organizing various courses for Marine Engineering Education.
Teaching different Engineering subjects to Deck Cadets & Marine Engineers.
- Visiting Lecturer Ungko Omar Polytechnic Institute, Ipoh, Perak; during above stay in Malaysia. The subjects taught included: Diesel Engines, Boilers, Turbo-chargers, Fuel & Fuel Technology, Fire & Safety, Maintenance of Machinaries and Marine Equipment.
- Officer Incharge Marine Engineering Department, Pakistan Marine Academy, Mauripur, Karachi, Pakistan.
The duties include:
-Teaching various subjects to Deck & Engineering Pre-Sea Cadets & Post
- Running & Training “Engine Room Simulator”.
- Taking part in Tanker Safety Courses.
- Author of more than 50 books in Sindhi, Urdu and English, mostly sea travelogues.
- Some of the books are prescribed for B.A and M.A Syllabus of Sindh University and Karachi University.
- Regular Columnist of “Pakistan Post”, “Ummat” & “Kawish”.
LITERARY AWARDS & PRIZES:
- Pakistan Writers Guild prize for the `Best Book of the Year'.
- Kenjhar Award for Travelogue Writings.
- Malaysian Offical Award PJK (Pingat Jasa Kebaktian) for literary and social services during 8 yrs stay in Malaysia as Head of Marine Engineering Dept. Naval Academy.
- Life long Literary Services. Award by United Memon Jamait, Karachi.
(ALTAF AHMAD SHAIKH)