Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Japan's enchanted beauty.
siripatana
post Aug 7 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 216962
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I fell in love with Japan the moment I first landed there almost 25 years ago. When I visited Nara, I remember that there were a lot of deers around a temple.
Last year I visited Kyoto-Nara again and was still enchanted by the deers , the temple and the people.
This is my daughter with the deer!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
siripatana
post Aug 7 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #2

QUOTE(siripatana @ Aug 7 2008, 02:40 AM) *

I fell in love with Japan the moment I first landed there almost 25 years ago. When I visited Nara, I remember that there were a lot of deers around a temple.
Last year I visited Kyoto-Nara again and was still enchanted by the deers , the temple and the people.

This is another deer standing still as if it was a sculpture.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
siripatana
post Aug 7 2008, 02:54 AM
Post #3

Beautiful ceramic picture in the Kyoto subway.
Japanese women in their traditional kimono in the subway.
Can anyone tell me which temple is this?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
introducinlyric
post Aug 7 2008, 03:02 AM
Post #4

Rolling Stone

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 56605

Great photos siripatana. unfortunately i have no idea what temple that is but hopefully someone on here can help

--------------------
Do You Want The Truth or Something Beautiful?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uktokyoite
post Aug 7 2008, 05:22 AM
Post #5

Expeditionist

Member No.: 196192

Hi Siripatana,

Nice pics : ) The temple in your pic is called Kinkakouji and is one of the most famous temples in Japan. When I visited Kyoto the weather was similar to your picture and it was sooo peaceful - absolutely beautiful.

--------------------
Cheers and all the best,

Honor

My Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
siripatana
post Aug 7 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(uktokyoite @ Aug 7 2008, 05:22 AM) *

Hi Siripatana,

Nice pics : ) The temple in your pic is called Kinkakouji and is one of the most famous temples in Japan. When I visited Kyoto the weather was similar to your picture and it was sooo peaceful - absolutely beautiful.

Great! Uktokyoite It is really Kinkakouji -the golden temple . The day I visited the temple I thought half a million people were also there with me. But I wait until I have a chance to get the picture with the reflection in the pond.I assume you stay in Japan so this is another question : Where can you find this pattern of silver sand?
(Anyone can have a guess.)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Aug 7 2008, 08:10 PM
Post #7

Unregistered

It is the silver sea of sand at Ginkakuji Temple (the silver pavilion)!

Ginkakuji or the silver pavilion is a Zen temple of the Shokoku School of the Rinzai Sect of Buddhism. Formerly known as Tozan Jishoji this picturesque temple is located at the foot of Kyoto’s Higashiyama or the “eastern mountains”. This immensely popular tourist attraction was designated as a World Heritage site in 1994 by UNESCO.

History

The silver pavilion was not originally intended to be a temple. It was intended as a retirement home for Ashikaga Yoshimasa, the eighth Ashikaga shogun and grandson of Ashikaga Yoshimitsu (the man who founded the Kinkaku-ji or the golden pavilion). The construction of the villa started in 1460 but was stalled due to the Onin Wars.

Construction of the Higashiyamadono or the palace of the Eastern Mountains was started anew in 1480. Yoshimasa moved to Higashiyamadono in 1483 and resided there, conducting Noh plays, tea ceremonies, and reveling in the finer things of life until his death in 1490. The villa continued to expand as gardens and buildings were added and by 1490 the tally stood at 12 buildings and an expansive garden. Like his grandfather, the man behind the Kinkaku-ji, Yoshimasa willed his residence to a Zen Buddhist temple. The temple was named Jisho-in after his Buddhist name and later as Jisho-ji.

What to see

Inside the temple complex near the Hondo or the spirit hall is the famous Ginshaden or the Sea of Silver Sand. This is a karaesanisui garden (dry garden) and consists of a 2 foot platform of sand that covers 0.71 hectares (1.75 acres). The platform walls are reshaped and the “garden” is re-raked everyday. It is said that on a full moon night, Ginshaden reflects the light of the moon making the garden truly resemble a sea of silver sand.

Next to the sea of sand is a cone shaped structure rising 2 meters into the air. This is called the Kogetsudai, or the Moon-viewing Platform. Though the reason behind the construction of the platform are said to be manifold it is true that the Kogetsudai lights up the Silver Pavilion on moonlight nights, and the resplendent pavilion on a full moon night is a magnificent sight indeed.

The most important part of the complex is the Ginkaku or the Silver Pavilion. The silver pavilion is a far cry from the ornate décor of the Golden Pavilion. Though the Yoshimasa had intended to adorn the pavilion with silver leaf embellishments his plans did not see the light of day. The architectural style of the silver pavilion is very similar to that of the Golden pavilion.

The first floor is called Shinkudan or Empty Heart Hall is designed in the shinden style, with a single large room divided into several rooms by fusama sliding panels. This floor holds the idol of Jizo, the Buddhist protector of children, who is encircled by 1000 small Jizo idols.

The second floor, named Chouonkaku (Hall of Roaring Waves) derives its name from the Golden Pavilion. This floor contains a golden idol of Kannon (Bodhisattva of Mercy and Compassion) and is thus often referred to as the Kannon-dono (Kannon Hall). On the roof of the building is golden bronze phoenix which is believed to keep a watchful eye allover the complex.

+Quote Post
siripatana
post Aug 8 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #8

[quote name='inasia2008' date='Aug 7 2008, 08:10 PM' post='67956']
It is the silver sea of sand at Ginkakuji Temple (the silver pavilion)!

Inasia2008 , you are the local expert, you have the correct answer!
So I have to post more difficult question.....hmm.....hmmm.....
How about this one?
Where was this picture taken? In which season?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uktokyoite
post Aug 8 2008, 09:19 AM
Post #9

Expeditionist

Hi Siripitana,

Your latest pic is from the 1970 expo in Osaka - the time capsule. The season is hanami - the cherry blossoms are in bloom - it's actually my favorite time of year! The venue is Osaka castle - beautiful it is!

--------------------
Cheers and all the best,

Honor

My Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
inasia2008
post Aug 8 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #10

Unregistered

LOL no UKTokyoite is much more of an expert than I am! But thanks anyway!
+Quote Post
siripatana
post Aug 9 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #11

uktokyoite, you are right! This pic wea taken in April 2005 , another trip . But I just notice that there is the word " capsule" in the picture. So, that may give you some clue .

OK . I have to dig more from my file photo................
How about this? Anyone interested can share one's answer.

The first pic may be a little bit of a challenge.but as a local expert you may know where was it taken?
The second one may give you some clue . Both were taken in the same city.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
siripatana
post Aug 12 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #12

It's time to reveal the answer.
As you may notice that there are " fish tails " in the first picture. They resemble the "fish tail" at the roof on top of Himeji Castle.
So the place is Himeji Castle in Himeji.

This is the view from the top of the castle. It's quite an effort to climb up there.
Spectacular view!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
uktokyoite
post Aug 14 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #13

Expeditionist

Hi Siripatana,

Sorry for not replying to the last one. It's been a bad week of computer problems so I haven't been able to check in.

Keep them coming - I love it frantics.gif

--------------------
Cheers and all the best,

Honor

My Webpage
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 08:32 PM
Top Hotel Destinations in Japan

Atami Hotels
Beppu Hotels
Chino Hotels
Chiyoda Hotels
Chuo Hotels
Fukuoka Hotels
Hakodate Hotels
Hakone Hotels
Hakuba-mura Hotels
Hiroshima Hotels
Hokuto Hotels
Ito Hotels
Izu Hotels
Kanazawa Hotels
Kobe Hotels
Kumamoto Hotels
Kyoto Hotels
Matsumoto Hotels
Minamiuonuma Hotels
Minato Hotels
Myoko Hotels
Nagano Hotels
Nagasaki Hotels
Nagoya Hotels
Naha Hotels
Narita Hotels
Nasu-machi Hotels
Niigata Hotels
Nikko Hotels
Osaka Hotels
Sapporo Hotels
Sendai Hotels
Shimoda Hotels
Shinjuku Hotels
Taito Hotels
Takayama Hotels
Toba Hotels
Tokyo Hotels
Ueda Hotels
Yokohama Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.