Welcome to the TravelPod forums
This is the place where TravelPod bloggers exchange travel tips with each other. Have a question? Ask one of our Local Experts by clicking "new topic" in any category.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best places in Columbia, Where should I go in columbia
karrina
post Aug 7 2008, 02:40 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 95071
Nominate me as a Local Expert

I would appreciate anyones advise on the best places to visit in Columbia and any other info you think would be helpful!

Thanks!!

flowers.png
User is offlinePM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Aug 7 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #2

Tripper

Group: Local Expert
Member No.: 2195

That's a huge task, and far more than our recourses permit. I suggest you get your hands on a good guide book. Lonely Planet or Footprint Guides come to mind. Get them at Amazon or your local book store. On the Amazon website enter "Colombia Guidebooks".

Here is the website of the Colombia Tourist Bureau:
http://www.turismocolombia.com/
Select your language and click on "Ingresar/Enter".

Best of all, consult our own Travelpodders, who have been there and done that in Colombia:
http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/Colombia.html
Skim these for the best information that suits your needs, and if you need greater detail, don't hesitate to contact them.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
Cheers
Martin

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Aug 11 2008, 01:40 AM
Post #3

Planet Pioneer

From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

QUOTE(karrina @ Aug 7 2008, 03:40 AM) *

I would appreciate anyones advise on the best places to visit in Columbia and any other info you think would be helpful!

Thanks!!

flowers.png

The Colombian city on my travel destination list is Cartagena. From what I've heard, it's colonial and vibrant, much to do and see...both history and ocean.

Good luck!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Aug 11 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #4

Tripper

Definitely, Cartagena is probably one of the most interesting and lively cities in Colombia. It's on the Caribbean, so it has a different tempo from the highlands. It has never had a drug/cartel problem, so it's safe in that respect. Cartagena is 400 miles from Bogotá.
http://www.cartagenainfo.net/
http://www.travelpod.com/blogs/0/Colombia/Cartagena.html

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Sep 12 2008, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Tripper

Hi Gwen. Thanks for the advice, but I fear you have the wrong Columbia. We were referring to Colombia, South America.

Nevertheless, if you are a traveller, we hope to hear and see more from you on our forums. Do you have any trips you have done that you could write up as a travel blog?

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
troispistoles
post Sep 21 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #6

Nomad

Member No.: 5385

I didn't do much in Colombia, but north of Bogota, there are a few nice villages, and extreme sport possibilities!

Villa de Leyva is a really nice village, with possibilities of repelling... and maybe 6-7 hours north of Bogota there is San Gil. The place is nice and I did rafting, repelling, and a lot of nature walks!
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
gracie-lou
post Oct 2 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 185549

At the moment I'm living in Barranquilla. There's not a massive amount to do in the city, except around carnival time in february which it's famous for! But I would suggest Tayrona National Park. There's a campsite in the park which is fairly cheap, and from there you can go for walks in the forest, or to the beaches (which are some of the best in the world), and there are also indigenous villages on the reserve which you can visit too. Check out www.campingtayrona.com for more info.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
scberger
post Oct 4 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 248001

i am in northern ecuador, planning to travel all through colombia now. my concern is the weather, as i understand this is the worse of the rainy season. can anyone there tell me what it is like? is it best to change plans and wait for a better time to travel in Colombia, or are there enough times without rain to still be able to enjoy visiting, including the beaches?
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
semi-backpacker
post Oct 5 2008, 03:58 AM
Post #9

Planet Pioneer

From: Hanging out with saguaro cactus in the Arizona desert
Member No.: 82730

Nice pic - thanks for sharing!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mmbcross
post Oct 5 2008, 02:37 PM
Post #10

Tripper

Hello Colombian Gringo,

That's a great photo of a Colombian chicken bus! Looks like a lot of fun, though I don't think I would like it for a long-distance run.

I wonder if you can answer scberger's question below about the weather for someone entering the Ecuador at this time of year? Looks like he needs some help from a knowledgeable expat!

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nelsonpico
post Oct 14 2008, 08:43 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 251045

QUOTE(karrina @ Aug 7 2008, 03:40 AM) *

Thanks!!

flowers.png

Cartagena is the best. I also recommend Leticia for the Amazon and Pereira in the heart of the coffee growing region.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
johnaydan
post Oct 14 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 251060

Hi Guys,

I too agree with Semi, Cartagena is the best place in Columbia...

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mcguinnessdave
post Mar 31 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #13

Wanderer

Member No.: 265639

Colombia is a phenominal country. I have travelled there more than once and was last there in Feb 2009. I have to say it is one of my favourite places to travel and it has gotten so much safer. I would always advise being careful but now just normal precautions are necessary.

The South of the country is incredible, and more off-the-beaten-track. I am a huge fan of San Agustin, where you find incredible statues, beautiful scenery and the most friendly people on the planet. Also the Tatacoa desert is an incredible place and one very few tourists visit, though you might need Spanish if you are to get the full value of an independent trip here as there are no English-speaking guides around.

Make sure you stay on a tradtional farm if you go to the coffee district for a beautiful and colonial experience. The hike in Parque Nevado de la Ruiz is also worthwhile, hiking up na active volcano

There are also some brilliant Amazon trips here where you won't see any other tourists (or even any other people other than your guide and tracker) for days. The Amazonian communities are very hospitable too when you cross over into Peru (unofficially).

The North also has it's fair share to offer but is more visited, Taganga is good for diving, the Lost City trek is my favourite trek of all time, and of course Cartegena is beautiful.

If it's a beautiful place to relax you are after you can't go wrong with Providencia. This super-chilled Caribbean island is stunningly beautiful and very relaxing with very friendly locals who do not try to exploit the few tourists they have. The old American taxis move around the island of 400 people at a snails pace and the locals wave and nod to everyone they pass. "Hey man!". "Alright!". If you can't relax here you will never relax! It's also a great place for diving and snorkeling with incredibly clear blue Caribbean seas.

As for Bogota, the Gold museum is the main attraction along with the walk up to Monserate for stunning views of the city. Do this on the weekend for security or at least check the security. It has gotten at lot safer on other days but take recent advice. The Botero museum is also worth a visit and there are plenty of lovely churches dotted around the centre. Stay in the Platypus for a budget small dorm option, or Casa Platypus for nicer private rooms. And make sure to meet German, the owner, who knows Colombia like no one else.

Check out Colombia, it's got so much to offer.
Let me know if I can help with any other advice,
Hope this helps make up your mind.
Dave

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingfish
post Apr 1 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 274572

Does anyone have any recommendations for the coffee district?

Thanks...
Fish
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mcguinnessdave
post Apr 2 2009, 05:37 AM
Post #15

Wanderer

Hi Fish,

The coffee district is known as the coffee triangle relating to the three towns that make up the 3 points - Manizales, Armenia and Pereira - and spans the provinces of Caldas, Quindió and Risaraldas. But don't let that fool you, they are all quite close to each other. Manizales is a pleasant town with a some nice churches and a cathedral and said to be the cheapest town in Colombia, Armenia is the biggest town of the three and is close to the Parque del Café, a Disney-style coffee theme park popular with Colombians but no so much with foreigners... it's a bit tacky. And Pereira (meaning pear tree) is famous for its naked Bolivar statue (Colombia's independence hero) and its zoo, the largest in Colombia.

Near Manizales is Parque Nevados de la Ruiz, which is certainly worth a visit. You can take a tour that will bring you through this other-worldly park that rises above 4000m in places and is home to several volcanoes, some active. In fact most tours involve a walk up to the snow-line of one of the volcanoes.

Between Manizales are the beautiful villages of Salento and Filandia, colonial in style and very picturesque. Nearby from Salento is Valle De Cocora, a beautiful area that's famous for its enourmous wax palm trees, the national tree of Colombia. From Salento you can hire a Willys, a World-war II era open-top jeep and is easily the best way to cover the short journey to Valle de Cocora. This area is also excellent for hiking and horse-riding. Make sure you try the trout here too, it's famous for that too.

As for accommodation, the coffee triangle has tons of old farmhouses from the rundown to the palacial, make sure to try out one or two of these for an authentic Colombian experience and often a great way to learn about the coffee-making process.

Oh, and don't forget to try the coffee!
Enjoy!
Dave

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
travellingfish
post Apr 3 2009, 06:55 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 274572

Thanks a lot Dave for the detailed reply,
I can't wait to get over there.
Fish
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
mcguinnessdave
post Apr 7 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #17

Wanderer

QUOTE(travellingfish @ Apr 3 2009, 06:55 AM) *

Thanks a lot Dave for the detailed reply,
I can't wait to get over there.
Fish

No problem Fish. Thanks for the nomination, I have now been offially made a Local Expert for Colombia, so if I can help anyone else please let me know :-)
Dave

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
nixsboys
post Apr 7 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #18

Globetrotter

Member No.: 80958

Sorry replied to the wrong post sad.gif

--------------------
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
aopaq
post Apr 7 2009, 04:48 PM
Post #19

Tripper

Member No.: 893

QUOTE(mcguinnessdave @ Apr 7 2009, 11:15 AM) *

No problem Fish. Thanks for the nomination, I have now been offially made a Local Expert for Colombia, so if I can help anyone else please let me know :-)
Dave

Welcome to the LE group Dave and it is wonderful to see you are such a Columbia fan! It is also my favorite SA country and I made some wonderful friends there. Popayan was my favorite city to hang out.
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post
yalka26
post Jun 20 2009, 03:59 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 282940

I would like to ask thoes help who has opinion about Colombia. I need it for uni work. ALL comments are welcome. its can be as short or as long as you want. Thanks for the help!

Allothers informations at: www. countryimageofcolombia.blogspot.com
User is offlinePM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 09:18 AM
Top Hotel Destinations in Colombia

Armenia Hotels
Barranquilla Hotels
Boca Grande Hotels
Bogota Hotels
Bosa Hotels
Boyaca Hotels
Bucaramanga Hotels
Buenaventura Hotels
Cali Hotels
Capurgana Hotels
Cartagena Hotels
Chia Hotels
Cota Hotels
Covenas Hotels
Cucuta Hotels
Girardot Hotels
Ibague Hotels
Islas de Rosario Hotels
Leticia Hotels
Manizales Hotels
Medellin Hotels
Melgar Hotels
Mompos Hotels
Monteria Hotels
Nuqui Hotels
Paipa Hotels
Pereira Hotels
Popayan Hotels
Rioacha Hotels
Rionegro Hotels
San Agustin Hotels
Santa Fe de Antioquia Hotels
Santa Marta Hotels
Silvia Hotels
Sogamoso Hotels
Taganga Hotels
Tobia Hotels
Tunja Hotels
Villa de Leyva Hotels
Villavicencio Hotels

Copyright © 1997 - 2011 TravelPod.com, a proud founder of travel blogs on the web. All Rights Reserved.